Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is it okay to take a Straighterline course in a day?
I stopped at the midterm because I suddenly considered that maybe it would get flagged. I'm taking Intro to Religion as I didn't have anything for the Information Literacy category for TESU. 

I'm already really familiar with the topic AND the whole thing is open book. I used the book for the sikhism and dao questions, but I was finishing the test in 15 minutes anyhow. 

Please let me know I can knock this thing out tomorrow. Smile
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jenniferinfl's post:
  • mzcutie85
As far as I know, Intro to religions course will satisfy the diversity requirement. For info literacy, why not consider Library science 101 on study.com? It is a very short course. And yes, you can complete it in a single day, if you choose.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
You can finish courses as fast or slow as you like. Many of us have completed courses in a day or two. Some courses can even be completed in hours (like the TESU cornerstone or the free Sophia courses).

Open book means you can use the book during the quizzes or final exam, so you don't worry about that. As long as you're not using any unsanctioned material (like third-party sources that provide the quiz or exam answers) you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I took around 10 classes with SL and finished most of them in under a few days each unless the material was annoying - then I'd drag it out. I never had any issues with them saying I was finishing them too quickly.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
I finished intro to religion in a day also envi sci and nutrition. Most other SL courses took 2-3 days max.

Nothing is wrong with finishing fast. Considering most of these courses are 48 hours of time. Its normal to finish in 1/2 to 1/3 the time if you are dedicated.

The hardest thing is using proctoru after. I just paid for the take it now option and take it in an hour or so and setting up proctoru is the biggest bottleneck to finshing with 12-16 hours.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Just to be clear... everyone completes their courses at their own speed. There is no right or wrong speed to get these done.

For most people, I expect that online courses (whether SL or Study.com) will take closer to 1-3 weeks to complete, assuming you can put in ~4 hours a day on them (roughly 20-60 hours of real time per course). But, if you're already familiar with the source material, or you have a ton of free time to spend, you can move through them much more quickly.

Personally, I found I could get through the Study.com courses about twice as fast as I could get through a similar SL course. But that is probably because the Study.com course material is more focused. The long pole for the SL courses was reading those textbooks.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Toastmaster
(01-02-2019, 11:19 PM)Merlin Wrote: Just to be clear... everyone completes their courses at their own speed. There is no right or wrong speed to get these done.

For most people, I expect that online courses (whether SL or Study.com) will take closer to 1-3 weeks to complete, assuming you can put in ~4 hours a day on them (roughly 20-60 hours of real time per course). But, if you're already familiar with the source material, or you have a ton of free time to spend, you can move through them much more quickly.

Personally, I found I could get through the Study.com courses about twice as fast as I could get through a similar SL course. But that is probably because the Study.com course material is more focused. The long pole for the SL courses was reading those textbooks.

I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get in trouble for it. Some courses will definitely take me a lot longer. I'm studying intro to sociology on Modern States tonight and had that 'oh crap, I don't know any of this' moment. Tried studying it on study.com (parent account, not for credit) and it was just as much of a slog..lol Earlier this evening though I went ahead and blasted through 'analyzing literature' on Modern States and already requested a voucher. I took a Peterson practice test and scored 84. But, I've read a lot of moldy old books.

The one that's really going to take me some time is Calculus I. I'll basically have to review all math first.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
When I first started, I was shooting for all A's as well, but after I had a B, I started going faster for those "easy courses with open book finals", I ended up with 5 C's - all in the sciences (lowest score was 76% at StraighterLine in Chem), for Study.com my lowest score is 81%. OP - My only suggestion for you is, set your own pace and track your progress with a spreadsheet.

I generally/usually recommend StraighterLine for lower-level courses that you want to complete ASAP and Study.com for upper-level courses or courses that aren't offered by StraighterLine. Unless you're going to COSC, ACE/NCCRS courses aren't graded and it would be a waste of energy/time shooting for 90% or higher. Just get it done! Hope this helps...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Jenniferinfl
I blew through a few in a day (a day each). So long as the final is proctored and the bill is paid, nobody seems to care.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Jenniferinfl

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 90 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,660 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 262 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 2 368 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 666 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 414 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 580 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,121 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,055 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138