Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isn't WGU a no brainer choice for CS Bachelor? Why did so many people choose TESU?
Why did so many people pick TESU for their CS degree when WGU seems to be cheaper and have IT certifications that are included with the tuition? From looking around this forum, TESU seems to cost $8000+ whereas WGU cost $3kish if one manage to finish in one term (which is reasonable(right?) if I transfer the maximum amount of credit). Is there some intricacies I'm missing here where TESU should still be an option for someone that has 0 college credits and interested in pursuing a Computer Science Bachelor/Software development as efficient and cheap as possible?
WGU doesn't take international student now. Probably that is why?
[-] The following 1 user Likes shamin's post:
  • OP88
A few possible reasons I can think of:
WGU doesn't do electives. Their degree plans are far less flexible compared to the big 3. If someone has some credits already, many of those credits won't be useful at WGU.
Competency-based degrees are a bit different than the norm, particularly regarding how they treat grades and GPA.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • OP88
Also regarding the 6 months, while it's common, by no means does an average student finish WGU in one term.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 2 users Like Flelm's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, OP88
Most people cannot complete WGU is 1 term. WGU also has lots of proctored exams. There's so many horror stories about the proctoring. It's pretty ridiculous. WGU doesn't accept international students which is pretty hilarious since their proctors are overseas. There are few gen ed requirements so transferring credit is more difficult. Yes they say you can transfer in up to 90 credits, but that's really rare because they have so many classes that are not transferable. They have also been dropping many of the certificates the last couple of years which is a huge bummer.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, HighSchoolDropOut, OP88
Another one that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that WGU apparently has weekly phone check-ins with an advisor. Some people are just not comfortable with that.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, HighSchoolDropOut, OP88
The main reason I chose TESU over WGU for Computer Science is because I know how much it will cost and the amount of energy I need to put into my courses, and also know the amount of time or speed to finish these courses. At WGU, if "life happens" and/or you have other commitments, it will be harder to finish on a schedule, if you can finish in two terms, it'll be cheaper, once you hit three terms, you've paid a bit too much. Further to that, at TESU, you can transfer in 114 credits and just take the final cornerstone/capstone with TESU, I also know what courses can transfer over, at WGU, it's hard to transfer in the max 90 credits as there are some courses that don't really have equivalents "the alternative way" and then there are some they don't allow to transfer in...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • OP88
(05-27-2021, 03:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Another one that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that WGU apparently has weekly phone check-ins with an advisor. Some people are just not comfortable with that.

That would be incredibly annoying! We all don't live on the same schedule so that could be really challenging. I know this is beneficial to some people, but it seems like most of us here know what we're doing. Or are at least good at faking it. LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
(05-27-2021, 03:09 PM)ss20ts Wrote: ... WGU also has lots of proctored exams. There's so many horror stories about the proctoring. ... They have also been dropping many of the certificates the last couple of years which is a huge bummer.

doesn't TESU also have proctored exams for their courses ?  

I know WGU dropped the Oracle certificate, but that's only because almost no one passed it on the first try and everyone complained how difficult it was LOL

(05-27-2021, 03:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Another one that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that WGU apparently has weekly phone check-ins with an advisor. Some people are just not comfortable with that.

doesn't have to be every week
I do every other week
and you get to choose the time -- as long as its not 2 am or something like that its fine LOL

and for me, doing a 5 minute phone call is MUCH more preferable than responding to a forum post from the course instructor and then replying to 3 other students's posts
(05-27-2021, 03:42 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(05-27-2021, 03:09 PM)ss20ts Wrote: ... WGU also has lots of proctored exams. There's so many horror stories about the proctoring. ... They have also been dropping many of the certificates the last couple of years which is a huge bummer.

doesn't TESU also have proctored exams for their courses ?  

I know WGU dropped the Oracle certificate, but that's only because almost no one passed it on the first try and everyone complained how difficult it was LOL

TESU does have proctored exams for their courses but, assuming you transfer in everything, that's just 2 or 3 exams with live proctoring vs. 10+ exams. The courses transferred in from Study.com don't have the same proctor as TESU uses and Sophia (which can be used for much of the degree) has the biometric checking.

(05-27-2021, 03:42 PM)bluebooger Wrote:

doesn't have to be every week              
I do every other week                
and you get to choose the time -- as long as its not 2 am or something like that its fine LOL

and for me, doing a 5 minute phone call is MUCH more preferable than responding to a forum post from the course instructor and then replying to 3 other students's posts

I get that you prefer phone calls but, personally, I'd rather do the forum posts. I hate talking on the phone with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. I can get forum posts done at any time of the day or night, too, without having to set time aside for the call.

I still think forum posts are stupid, though.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  best way to get a CS degree for people with experience? bwokbwok 8 325 03-20-2024, 06:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 370 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 853 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 628 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 168 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Lightbulb Which path should I choose? Lil_Boi 7 412 02-12-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,253 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 382 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16
  College choice KnowledgeQuest 9 641 01-30-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: KnowledgeQuest