Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Interview Story
So I went to my interview yesterday, it went well, lasted 3 hours, it was 3 person rotating panel interview which was interesting, but I'm most definitely intrigued.

The biggest issue I noticed is everyone brought up my degree, but since this job is mid entry level, they kept asking me if I was just using this as a stepping stone to transfer into Corporate in 3-5 years. Obviously that would eventually be a goal of mine, But I downplayed it as I didn't want having my degree actually effect the job offer.

I have a feeling they will extend an offer by next week, but time will tell, never really thought my degree credentials actually ended up being a small diversion/concern to my experience.
What is your degree? How was it brought up? I'm not sure I understand. Did they think that since you had a degree you were overqualified for the job? If i'm understanding correctly they are concerned that you will not be satisfied with the job.

I've found that if people consistently think someone is overqualified for a job, they usually are. Maybe you should see if they have any jobs at a higher level that you can apply for. At certain levels/industries the difference between a bachelors and anything less is significant.

With that said, a step up is a step up. Overqualified or not, a step up is a step up. Congratulations! This sounds like a good problem to have. It's much less awkward than the question I used to get ("what do you mean you didn't graduate?") and the attitude that came immediately after.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
Inteljustice2 Wrote:So I went to my interview yesterday, it went well, lasted 3 hours, it was 3 person rotating panel interview which was interesting, but I'm most definitely intrigued.

The biggest issue I noticed is everyone brought up my degree, but since this job is mid entry level, they kept asking me if I was just using this as a stepping stone to transfer into Corporate in 3-5 years. Obviously that would eventually be a goal of mine, But I downplayed it as I didn't want having my degree actually effect the job offer.

I have a feeling they will extend an offer by next week, but time will tell, never really thought my degree credentials actually ended up being a small diversion/concern to my experience.

What's really strange to me is that they were basically asking you to stay put in this job for like...forever?!? I mean, who worries about you wanting to move up in 3-5 YEARS? If I hired someone who DIDN'T want to move up or do something a little bit different in that amount of time, I'd be worried about that! Who expects someone to never want to move up? That's just weird!

If they were worried you'd want to leave in 3-5 months, I could see the problem, but wanting you to commit to 3-5 years of no upward mobility is nuts.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
mednat Wrote:What is your degree? How was it brought up? I'm not sure I understand. Did they think that since you had a degree you were overqualified for the job? If i'm understanding correctly they are concerned that you will not be satisfied with the job.

I've found that if people consistently think someone is overqualified for a job, they usually are. Maybe you should see if they have any jobs at a higher level that you can apply for. At certain levels/industries the difference between a bachelors and anything less is significant.

With that said, a step up is a step up. Overqualified or not, a step up is a step up. Congratulations! This sounds like a good problem to have. It's much less awkward than the question I used to get ("what do you mean you didn't graduate?") and the attitude that came immediately after.

BSBA in General Management, my degree was brought up as the h.r. lady from corporate emailed all 3 interviewers my resume, so they were looking that over as they were interviewing me. My interview actually went 30 minutes over schedule, which I take as a good sign.

I don't feel I'm necessarily overqualified, its just that they were basically asking me in a roundabout sort of way, will you be committed to company or look to bolt the first chance you get, since I'm entering into a blue collar industry where not everyone necessarily has a degree. But again, I've very drawn to this company as they are very unconventional, they actually empower their employees, and my skill set matches up very well with the team they got in place.

I'm like every overachiever though, I can't stand doing the same job for more than X amount of years as I like to be passionate in the work that I do, and my last company seemed to pigeon hole me without really caring about the operational deficiencies, as this company is actually willing to take feedback and apply it to better the organization. That is like way more important to me than making more money.

The last guy to interview me actually mentioned he lost 2 of his guys to corporate, one had been there 5 years and the other one 9 years. So definitely opportunities to move up as sales, growth is rapidly increasing. I feel his message was more like you have to put in your dues first before moving up, he also kind of mentioned don't expect anything to be given to you, that I'd have to take the initiative to take on more responsibility and eventually move up in the company, which I respect. I have a feeling I should know early next week, if a job offer is going to be extended, then I'll have quite the decision to make, as of now, I'm leaning towards taking it. You can't compromise working for a big name company just because they pay well vs. having terrible management, I learned from my last company, I'm only going to pull the trigger on a company if its an ideal fit, and they have excellent management in place as that can make a whole world of difference.
Inteljustice2 Wrote:You can't compromise working for a big name company just because they pay well vs. having terrible management, I learned from my last company, I'm only going to pull the trigger on a company if its an ideal fit, and they have excellent management in place as that can make a whole world of difference.

I agree, I worked for a company 7.5 years to the day at the same position. Everyone thought I would be a lifer, but things change, it was too repetitive and it was a call center focused on external clients. Today (8 years and going strong), I am in a very similar position as a Technical Analyst where I am customer focused and been doing the same thing practically, but for "internal clients".

dfrecore Wrote:If they were worried you'd want to leave in 3-5 months, I could see the problem, but wanting you to commit to 3-5 years of no upward mobility is nuts.

There are companies that want their staff to stay put for a while, but others just want to get you in the door as there maybe a shortage in that specific department. For myself, I would like to join a company and work a specific dept/division until I have it "pat down". Some other companies, I have felt the need to be a part of the bigger picture and want to move to a higher paying with high responsibility.

mednat Wrote:With that said, a step up is a step up. Overqualified or not, a step up is a step up. Congratulations! This sounds like a good problem to have. It's much less awkward than the question I used to get ("what do you mean you didn't graduate?") and the attitude that came immediately after.

From reading through this, I do think the OP is somewhat overqualified and should ask if there is an intermediate position to move into instead of the current role. Maybe a role similar but a pay grade higher, or requires more experience/knowledge.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips natshar 3 1,076 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Weird interview questions Sparklette 10 2,424 03-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Heart attack warning story Mamasaphire 3 1,808 10-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Earned a $120 Amazon Gift Card by Completing an Interview sanantone 3 1,704 05-18-2017, 11:27 PM
Last Post: varJosh
  Something cool (a story) from Straighterline rebel100 2 1,052 03-30-2016, 07:22 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Inspirational Humans of New York story Mamasaphire 4 1,035 03-20-2016, 12:32 PM
Last Post: SuzanneD
  Interview Tips Prloko 0 1,019 06-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Interview ideas.... rebel100 32 3,718 08-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Last Post: SDO
  The Phone Interview Prloko 27 3,109 06-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Last Post: scorched
  My degree helped!! I have a job interview. Lindagerr 26 2,771 09-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr