Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips
Any good job interview, resume and cover letter tips? I'm not talking generic obvious stuff (dress professionally for an interview, don't use comic sans on resume, show up on time, etc.) I want to know things that aren't so obvious.

Anyone who has worked in HR or knows a lot got any tips and tricks for job interviews and/or resumes and/or cover letters? 

Or bad stuff that everyone does that should be avoided?

Again I'm not looking for the basics, I'm looking for advanced stuff here, things most people might not think of.

Is anyone willing to share any top secrets?
Earned: AA, AAS, AGS
145+ credits
Bachelors Degree May 2020
I've done and still do all of these things, but I'm paralyzed by not knowing what would be considered "basic" since that would be different to different people. If you have any specific situational questions though, I'd be happy to try to answer if you like.

Senior college admissions counselor in Beijing with research interest in higher ed college access. Reverts to PADI Divemaster when near a coast.

BS Anthropology | Tulane University '08 (3.90, summa cum laude
MS Early Childhood Studies: Administration, Management, & Leadership | Walden University '19 (3.90)
Certificate College Access Counseling | Rice University '19
Certificate Teachers College College Advising Program | Columbia University '19
Other TOEFL/IELTS Trainer; Alumni/Company Interviewer; National Resume Writers' Association (completed coursework!)
Goals: A) 2nd MS in Higher Ed; B) 51/195 Countries; C) Find good hamburger in Beijing (accomplished June '19!)

Sure! I break it down by first looking at my own goals. What is an ideal job for you?

For example, if my goal is to work remotely for a new startup and wear many hats and advance quickly, then my cover letter will be completely and entirely different than if I applied to an office job, butt in seat, with a large corporation.

So, I'd start with examining your own goals and work from there to do the needed research (such as, finding companies that you want to work for, job descriptions you think you'd like to do a job, etc), then you can mirror your online personal branding along with your approach to the job (if needed), which is the 2nd step.

Once you figure that part out, then you'd be able to move onto the last step, which is styling your cover letter and getting more granular. 

I have tons of tips, but they only apply to what my niche is, which is working remotely for small tech companies. So I can't really help you if that's not your end goal!

HTH!

Danielle
TESU for BA in Psych + ASNSM in CS
~--------------------~
Working on 3 courses now - Intro to Psych / Sociology + Envir Science
Next up - Study.com for Eng Comp II, AOS courses, Statistics.com: Network Analysis (Feb 2020) 
Grad goal - slow-paced, late 2020
Completed - 
28 cr from B&M CC
The Institute: Ethics
CSMlearn 
Study.com: Psy 104, His 108, Edu 104, Edu 103, Pol Sci 102, Comm 120
Sophia.org: Intro to Stats, Conflict Res, Hum Biology, Visual Comm, US History I + II, Intro to IT, An.Gr.Philosopher
I'm actually asking because I need to know more about this subject for various reasons too long to explain. I just need to know about this subject in a general sense.
Earned: AA, AAS, AGS
145+ credits
Bachelors Degree May 2020

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resume advise Rustydroid 3 278 10-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about resume Imbanewbie 8 522 08-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Education Section of Job Resume katelynn 14 653 05-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Productivity Tips and Tricks natshar 1 270 12-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Question Regarding Resume Regards 33 2,066 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Weird interview questions Sparklette 10 978 03-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Ethics of listing degree(s) on resume Thorne 15 2,972 01-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Resume, Cover Letter - Introduction Letter Examples bjcheung77 17 1,547 10-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Gcheads
  Resume Question rlw74 8 958 07-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Earned a $120 Amazon Gift Card by Completing an Interview sanantone 3 656 05-18-2017, 11:27 PM
Last Post: varJosh