Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Search & 4-year degrees
I posted on 07/15/07:

Quote:Okay...now I remember why the "4-year degree" requirement stuck in my head! It wasn't that the ad said 4-year degree, it was that the ad specified a degree from a 4-year university. Here is just a sampling of what five different ads specified for accounting positions in the Houston area:

Experience requirements:
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university.

Bachelor's Degree (four year college or university) and/or one to two years related experience.

A Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university.

EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university.

To qualify for this position you should have:

• Bachelor’s degree in accounting from a four year college or university

Now isn't THAT discriminatory in some way?

JoAnne
Posted by cinderly on 07/16/07
Quote:JoAnne, those ads do seem strange. I'd still apply, anyway, if the company was otherwise worth working for. I especially like the one that calls only for Bachelor of Arts degree-holders. Because there are no accountants with Bachelor of Science degrees.

I think either it's colloquial phrasing or whoever's writing these ads has a bias they haven't really thought through.
Posted by bawhitsett on 07/16/07:
Quote:The "4-year degree" terminology comes from the idea that a bachelor's degree could be completed in 4 years with full time study, 30 credits per year. For a lot of students today though it's taking 5-6 years, due to financial commitments, major changes, etc.
Posted by mjno on 07/16/07

Quote:JoAnne, the last thing I think you are is an idiot.

The people in HR I have spoken with do not really care where the degree comes from, however, I have been told that if the degree comes from an ivy league school that they do put the resume in a separate pile.
Most of the people I have spoken with look at what I am doing (testing/Excelsior) positively because they are still paying off student loans and wish that they had found this way to get their degree.

I would just apply to whomever you want.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted by Katterina on 07/16/07

Quote:I think it is entirely possible that the people writing those job ads have never been to college and/or don't understand the system. I wouldn't hesitate to apply for those jobs.
Posted by Basket Weaver on 07/16/07

Quote:Quote:
Originally Posted by Katterina
I think it is entirely possible that the people writing those job ads have never been to college and/or don't understand the system. I wouldn't hesitate to apply for those jobs.

I agree, I would too....make them tell you otherwise.
I wouldn't hesitate to apply for a job if I earned or nearly completed my "4 year" BA degree. I also agree with the notion that HR really doesn't have a clue hilarious.

Who wrote the ad? An HR worker or someone from the department? My guess is HR.

Here is an example- my background is in food/restaurant. I teach in that field. WHEN I earned my associate degree in culinary arts, it was from one of only 3 colleges offering such. There were a lot of years when I had a "terminal degree" in my field. Then, there was a boom of community colleges who started offering ASA degrees in culinary, and so not to be outdone, culinary schools (around 2004) started offering bachelor degrees. Last year, when I counted, there were less than 20. (most were not accredited by the AFC, our industry's gold standard- usually in my field, a BS would be less accepted than a Bachelor Professional Studies, which would likely be AFC accredited). One master chef (of which there are only +/- 80 in the world) helped launch a Masters of Gastronomy, which is (I think) the only Masters program still. A Masters in Dietary, Food Science, Nutrition etc are home EC and hospital occupations- not restaurant. (thus would never be hired to teach even a basic cooking course)

So...

I see ads ALL THE TIME for culinary arts instructors at 4 year colleges needing "Masters Degrees in Culinary Arts, PhD preferred" which there are exactly ZERO in existence. The highest prestige in my field is a CMC (Certified Master Chef) sometimes the ad will say "and CMC preferred." A spiteful day, I emailed one HR department at a university, and explained that there were no qualified applicants in on the globe according to the ad. HR backpedaled and said that the Masters or PhD could be in any field, but the CMC was really what they were looking for. Interesting, so I did my homework, and it turns out that the existing pool of CMCs (again, less than 80 in the world) are easily searchable (since they are famous) and only 2 had masters degrees, one had a PhD but he died. :p Wow, 2 people on the globe "might" be qualified to teach your "introductory foodservice" course. Amazing.

In fairness, I don't think they are deliberately trying to be difficult, but it is more a case of ignorance. To be fair, I wouldn't be able to write an ad for a job outside my area of expertise very well.

If you are still hesitant to apply, perhaps you could call the HR department and ask them to further explain what kind of education they are looking for.
Great post Jennifer, a very interesting read, and I totally agree...I would be all over a job application for a "4-year degree required" position.

Just reading your posts makes me quite hungry, are you planning a dinner for IC members any time soon? I bet the meal would be outstanding....my stomach is growling....Big Grin
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
cookderosa Wrote:I wouldn't hesitate to apply for a job if I earned or nearly completed my "4 year" BA degree. I also agree with the notion that HR really doesn't have a clue hilarious.

Who wrote the ad? An HR worker or someone from the department? My guess is HR.

Here is an example- my background is in food/restaurant. I teach in that field. WHEN I earned my associate degree in culinary arts, it was from one of only 3 colleges offering such. There were a lot of years when I had a "terminal degree" in my field. Then, there was a boom of community colleges who started offering ASA degrees in culinary, and so not to be outdone, culinary schools (around 2004) started offering bachelor degrees. Last year, when I counted, there were less than 20. (most were not accredited by the AFC, our industry's gold standard- usually in my field, a BS would be less accepted than a Bachelor Professional Studies, which would likely be AFC accredited). One master chef (of which there are only +/- 80 in the world) helped launch a Masters of Gastronomy, which is (I think) the only Masters program still. A Masters in Dietary, Food Science, Nutrition etc are home EC and hospital occupations- not restaurant. (thus would never be hired to teach even a basic cooking course)

So...

I see ads ALL THE TIME for culinary arts instructors at 4 year colleges needing "Masters Degrees in Culinary Arts, PhD preferred" which there are exactly ZERO in existence. The highest prestige in my field is a CMC (Certified Master Chef) sometimes the ad will say "and CMC preferred." A spiteful day, I emailed one HR department at a university, and explained that there were no qualified applicants in on the globe according to the ad. HR backpedaled and said that the Masters or PhD could be in any field, but the CMC was really what they were looking for. Interesting, so I did my homework, and it turns out that the existing pool of CMCs (again, less than 80 in the world) are easily searchable (since they are famous) and only 2 had masters degrees, one had a PhD but he died. :p Wow, 2 people on the globe "might" be qualified to teach your "introductory foodservice" course. Amazing.

In fairness, I don't think they are deliberately trying to be difficult, but it is more a case of ignorance. To be fair, I wouldn't be able to write an ad for a job outside my area of expertise very well.

If you are still hesitant to apply, perhaps you could call the HR department and ask them to further explain what kind of education they are looking for.

That's hilarious!! Only 2? Unbelievable. Do ya' think they changed that requirement pretty quickly? Big Grin
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
That's !! Only 2? Unbelievable. Do ya' think they changed that requirement pretty quickly? >>

Actually they didn't change it. I don't know what they decided to do- I check the job site from time to time and it didn't change.:confused:

Basket weaver, you must have missed the invite!! I cooked for the entire IC community YESTERDAY! Everyone was here! I am so sorry you missed it! :p Just kidding.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024!!! LevelUP 2 441 01-01-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Happy Holidays and New Year 2022! bjcheung77 7 992 12-25-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2023!!! LevelUP 3 2,003 01-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 612 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,886 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  72 year old man w/cancer berated by judge for unclean yard bjcheung77 3 770 01-14-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Happy New Year 2022 ShotoJuku 4 882 01-13-2022, 08:53 AM
Last Post: PaulHarmon
  145 Degrees Alpha 6 1,063 01-07-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACE Student of the Year Nominations Open ashkir 8 1,162 12-15-2021, 03:37 PM
Last Post: jch
  Grammarly 1 year for $66.23 ashkir 16 2,912 11-18-2021, 05:43 AM
Last Post: Cofffeee