Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a quick update on the Rebel...
Hello IC Pals!!!

Long time no see!  

Not sure I'm 100% "back", but Jennifer encouraged me to stop by and update my personal story and I do miss the group...I will be trying to re-engage a bit and contribute again to the moderator duties (I'll do that so long at SGLOER wants me to).

So what happened?

I have detailed the professional goals and struggles here many times.  A quick re-cap:

I came to IC in 2010 and discovered the "Big 3".  After getting nowhere with TESC I elected to take my 160 existing college credits to Charter Oak where I graduated a year later with a General Studies BS with with dual concentrations in Organizational Leadership and Health Care (I did have an AS in Emergency Medical Services already).  I was finishing the BS when the Ambulance Service I worked for closed its doors and 80 or so people hit the local market looking for work as an EMT, Paramedic (me), or Dispatcher.  I was lucky in that the hospital we were attached to chose to retain me as their Emergency Manager....a choice they made, in part, due to the nearly completed BS.  I got that job and the BS in 2011.  

A year later I started on the WGU MBA.  my employer essentially paid for this degree via tuition reimbursement.  During this time I constantly raised my hand to volunteer for things at work.  In short order I was added to hospital committees, saw a couple of promotions, and most importantly I really began to understand networking and it's effect on a career.  By the time I finished that MBA I was running multiple facets of the facilities department.  Security, emergency management, call center, courier, hazardous materials all reported to me...about 40 employees.  My "big" break came when the hospital hired a new COO from outside.  I deliberately approached him about becoming my mentor (I approached several senior executives at the same time, some would be much more important than others).

This COO took me under his wing, I was led to join the American College of Healthcare Executives and seek Fellow status (this is similar to a Physician seeking board certification in a specialty).  I'm really happy that I did this, it's already opened doors...as it happens I completed all the requirements of certification, including passing the six hour 230 question exam.  I became a Fellow ACHE weekend before last....yay, new business cards!!!!  The COO became more than my mentor, he became my "champion"  I think this is an important distinction...

A mentor, to me, guides you and helps you develop skills.  A champion however pushes you into new roles.  He or she promotes you among their peers and sees to it that you find expanding responsibility (and pay).   My champion has done this three distinct times.

In 2014 the Ebola crises broke out, my COO made sure that I was a part of the team that developed corporate response.  I was selected to teach the physicians, nurses, and other providers how to stay safe and use specific PPE when caring for a patient.  I helped write portions of the protocol we used.  This was an incredibly high profile task and I met folks within the organization who I might never have known.

Another example of this guys promotion of me was in making me the leader of a failing and troubled clinic.  I was promoted to the task and given room to improve employee moral, develop business plans,  and learn physician relations.  I was fortunate when the employees were re-surveyed on engagement...this wonderful team went from dead last to tied for first on the survey within our hospital.  I owe them as much or more than they will ever owe me.

Finally, an opportunity came up last fall (this is the reason I've been away).  I was promoted , after my COO championed me over others for the job, to a remarkable opportunity.  I'm now responsible for the operations of two brand new freestanding emergency rooms (FSED)...the first two in our system.  It's a monumentally complex task that involves everything from construction decisions to all facets of operations, to luring providers to the attached medical office buildings.  I'll soon have two separate 24 hour campuses to run and over 100 employees.

All this basically to explain why I've been away...but more importantly to reassure those here that this community, and this approach to higher education works!  Yes, you can get into an MBA program with a big 3 degree.  Yes, an online MBA can prepare you for promotion to your dream job.  Yes, I used CLEP and DSST in part to do this.  Yes, this is all legitimate and can change your life.

I'll close with this.  Last week I had the opportunity to interview for charge nurses.  At the top of my list was an RN who got her undergrad and her bachelors degree from....wait for it....WGU!!!  It was very satisfying when she hit every other mark in her interview and I gave the thumbs up to offering her a position, a fellow alum form the alternative higher education community...very cool.

I hope to be around a bit more and continue my commitment to this online community...some of you have no idea how much you've done for me.

Best,
Mike
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Rebel,

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! So glad you stopped by. The community needs these inspirational stories of success and perseverance... and I need to take some of this to heart.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • rebel100
(02-28-2018, 01:37 PM)rebel100 Wrote: Hello IC Pals!!!

Long time no see!  

Not sure I'm 100% "back", but Jennifer encouraged me to stop by and update my personal story and I do miss the group...I will be trying to re-engage a bit and contribute again to the moderator duties (I'll do that so long at SGLOER wants me to).

So what happened?

I have detailed the professional goals and struggles here many times.  A quick re-cap:

I came to IC in 2010 and discovered the "Big 3".  After getting nowhere with TESC I elected to take my 160 existing college credits to Charter Oak where I graduated a year later with a General Studies BS with with dual concentrations in Organizational Leadership and Health Care (I did have an AS in Emergency Medical Services already).  I was finishing the BS when the Ambulance Service I worked for closed its doors and 80 or so people hit the local market looking for work as an EMT, Paramedic (me), or Dispatcher.  I was lucky in that the hospital we were attached to chose to retain me as their Emergency Manager....a choice they made, in part, due to the nearly completed BS.  I got that job and the BS in 2011.  

A year later I started on the WGU MBA.  my employer essentially paid for this degree via tuition reimbursement.  During this time I constantly raised my hand to volunteer for things at work.  In short order I was added to hospital committees, saw a couple of promotions, and most importantly I really began to understand networking and it's effect on a career.  By the time I finished that MBA I was running multiple facets of the facilities department.  Security, emergency management, call center, courier, hazardous materials all reported to me...about 40 employees.  My "big" break came when the hospital hired a new COO from outside.  I deliberately approached him about becoming my mentor (I approached several senior executives at the same time, some would be much more important than others).

This COO took me under his wing, I was led to join the American College of Healthcare Executives and seek Fellow status (this is similar to a Physician seeking board certification in a specialty).  I'm really happy that I did this, it's already opened doors...as it happens I completed all the requirements of certification, including passing the six hour 230 question exam.  I became a Fellow ACHE weekend before last....yay, new business cards!!!!  The COO became more than my mentor, he became my "champion"  I think this is an important distinction...

A mentor, to me, guides you and helps you develop skills.  A champion however pushes you into new roles.  He or she promotes you among their peers and sees to it that you find expanding responsibility (and pay).   My champion has done this three distinct times.

In 2014 the Ebola crises broke out, my COO made sure that I was a part of the team that developed corporate response.  I was selected to teach the physicians, nurses, and other providers how to stay safe and use specific PPE when caring for a patient.  I helped write portions of the protocol we used.  This was an incredibly high profile task and I met folks within the organization who I might never have known.

Another example of this guys promotion of me was in making me the leader of a failing and troubled clinic.  I was promoted to the task and given room to improve employee moral, develop business plans,  and learn physician relations.  I was fortunate when the employees were re-surveyed on engagement...this wonderful team went from dead last to tied for first on the survey within our hospital.  I owe them as much or more than they will ever owe me.

Finally, an opportunity came up last fall (this is the reason I've been away).  I was promoted , after my COO championed me over others for the job, to a remarkable opportunity.  I'm now responsible for the operations of two brand new freestanding emergency rooms (FSED)...the first two in our system.  It's a monumentally complex task that involves everything from construction decisions to all facets of operations, to luring providers to the attached medical office buildings.  I'll soon have two separate 24 hour campuses to run and over 100 employees.

All this basically to explain why I've been away...but more importantly to reassure those here that this community, and this approach to higher education works!  Yes, you can get into an MBA program with a big 3 degree.  Yes, an online MBA can prepare you for promotion to your dream job.  Yes, I used CLEP and DSST in part to do this.  Yes, this is all legitimate and can change your life.

I'll close with this.  Last week I had the opportunity to interview for charge nurses.  At the top of my list was an RN who got her undergrad and her bachelors degree from....wait for it....WGU!!!  It was very satisfying when she hit every other mark in her interview and I gave the thumbs up to offering her a position, a fellow alum form the alternative higher education community...very cool.

I hope to be around a bit more and continue my commitment to this online community...some of you have no idea how much you've done for me.

Best,
Mike

Smile But because you're modest, I'm going to "rename" your thread:
From Paramedic to Six-Figures

Stories like yours are important because people constantly get in their own way worrying about things that are mostly their own barriers to reaching that goal post. I'm so glad we've become friends over the years. WTG Michael!!!
rebel100 Wrote:Finally, an opportunity came up last fall (this is the reason I've been away).  I was promoted , after my COO championed me over others for the job, to a remarkable opportunity.  I'm now responsible for the operations of two brand new freestanding emergency rooms (FSED)...the first two in our system.  It's a monumentally complex task that involves everything from construction decisions to all facets of operations, to luring providers to the attached medical office buildings.  I'll soon have two separate 24 hour campuses to run and over 100 employees.

Wow, congrats on passing that crazy 6-hour exam! That's the triple threat! 1) Degree, 2) Experience, 3) Certification! I've consulted and worked for an unionized Health Authority before, I am thinking of doing the same thing, getting a director or something to mentor and guide me in the right direction. That's a great work ethic and the rewards of putting in that effort.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Ideas
Love this story, and other success stories like it!! Awesome!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Wow, thank you so much for sharing! Congratulations on your success!! I love that you said you continually raised your hand to volunteer at work. I think that is such an overlooked opportunity for so many. The mentor story is particularly inspiring as well.

Way to go paying it forward to us!
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
(02-28-2018, 06:25 PM)originalamyj Wrote: I love that you said you continually raised your hand to volunteer at work. I think that is such an overlooked opportunity for so many.

I have told my kids that this is the key to success!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Rebel you are the absolute best and one of the very few people here that were into COSC back in the days when I was at COSC, so I always consider you a fellow alum. Which of course means a lot because we Big 3 folks don't really get the F2F experience like typical college grads, so the people I consider fellow alumni are truly special!!!

You have done such amazing things because you kick so much a$$!!!!!! I am always happy to see what you're doing next and couldn't be more excited about how far you've come. You totally deserve it!!!!!!!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • Life Long Learning
All that right back at you Burbuja0512 (Bubbles)!

I attended graduation vicariously through your pics. My resume reads the way it does because of your advice. My linked in profile was inspired by you!

I'm happy to see you up here again, YOU ARE THE BEST! Smile

You know the volunteering for things really has been key.

Had a coach in high school who once told us that the key to success at work was to always be busy. He submitted that you should do your job well, then look for the next thing to move the businesses mission along. What really stuck was that someone piped up and said..."there ain't nothing to do once my work is done" to which Coach responded "do they have a broom"? Point being there is always something that needs our attention, rising to the top is often a function of demonstrating desire and willingness.

Some things I raised my hand for:

I made it know that if it needed to be written (like a policy/procedure) I would do it. This meant that I quickly got to do some things outside of my wheelhouse, and I got to be in with the groups deciding policy...it's always high profile.

Need someone to come in at night or on the weekend? I'm your guy, send me.

Everyone wants to be that day shift manager that gets time with the boss at the fun events. We recently met a milestone and ice cream social's were provided to the employees. Day shift saw every manager in the building jostling for a visible position next to the company VP and President.....I skipped that crap all together, came in on the night shift. Me, one other manager, the CNO, COO, CFO....the five of us sat around a good part of the evening talking and co participating in this feel good event. Be tactical with your time.

About a year off the ambulance and into the hospital job the director of security fell ill. I didn't ask anyone, I just started assuming his smaller roles. I went to meetings on his behalf, scheduled his employees, had folks bring me their issues. By the time we realized this manager wasn't coming back I had been doing the job for months...I was promoited and his departments became mine, staff doubled. I even got retro pay (not enough, but some). my bosses boss later told me that he had never realized I had the skills to lead such a group until he realized I was doing it...same guy calls me for career advice now.

There is a whole hilarious story about how I ended up on the corporate Ebola team. Basically put myself out there as the only person who had ever treated a patient in bunker gear and became the de-facto expert. Can't express what an important turning point this ended up being for me.

I also stay busy as a volunteer with the county in disaster response. This has led to command positions at huge events like the Electric Daisy Carnival...visible jobs that don't actually require much time yet are important and bring notice.

In fact, if you don't have that payed job yet....go volunteer in something related, network, get to know people...it's perhaps more important than the degree.

I also mentor anyone, ANYONE interested in alternative higher education. When you give freely of your time and expertise you build strong relationships. Folks have a BS or BA today because I apply things we do on this website to their daily lives. It saves them money and time...sometimes it makes it possible for them to pursue their dreams. Make someones dreams come true and they will look for ways to repay that kindness....you can't put a valus to such a relationship.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
[-] The following 4 users Like rebel100's post:
  • burbuja0512, dfrecore, Nodaclu, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 667 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Covid Update Alpha 24 2,282 02-02-2022, 11:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Quick money RoyalSpade 11 2,058 08-12-2021, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Update! dewisant 3 1,112 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Ask Rebel where he is.... cookderosa 13 1,927 05-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Last Post: SolarKat
  update forum software to vbulletin v4.2.1 BrandeX 0 1,596 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Last Post: BrandeX
  Head about to explode? Quick break thread. Joeman200 6 1,736 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  A quick word on "Non-Profit" Prloko 18 2,293 05-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Togas
  A quick thank you Photog 7 1,287 05-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Well the Rebel is done.... rebel100 22 2,714 02-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Last Post: rebel100