Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just found this website today - Seeking Wisdom
I just stumbled across this website today.  I am excited (and a little overwhelmed) to say the least!  Wow, thank you all for all the amazing info here!  I was just days away from making a decision on either Brandman or WGU to pursue completing a Bachelors in Business then on to an MBA.  I was attracted to both of them for their competency based programs.  I am looking to accelerate as much as possible.  I had no idea these options to test out even existed!  I have visited to Wiki page and see there is a lot of step by step info there.  My hope is to connect with someone here that can give me some additional guidance as I go down this path.  I would feel a lot more confident having someone in my corner that has been there and done that!  I do have some college credits (around 35) from many years ago (just turned the big 50).  I'm assuming my first step is to apply to the Big 3 and see which credits they will accept?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Never2Late2Learn's post:
  • akr680
Brandman University - I don't think that alternate credit friendly. Google reviews also not good.

WGU - More than 1 lac enrolled students. Lot of resources to connect with current students. We can transfer upto 90 credits.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
------------------

(11-04-2019, 11:24 PM)akr680 Wrote: Brandman University  - I don't think that alternate credit friendly. Google reviews also not good.

WGU - More than 1 lac enrolled students. Lot of resources to connect with current students. We can transfer upto 90 credits.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks akr!  Was definitely leaning towards WGU.  From what I'm reading here, the million dollar question seems to be whether or not to go with one of the big 3 and transfer in nearly all credits or WGU and transfer in 90 and finish the rest in 1 term.  Are accreditation/degrees in business programs equal from big 3 and WGU?
Depends on your existing credits, apply to everywhere to get an evaluation and see what comes back. Once you find out how they fit in your degree plan it is much easier to narrow the choices down.

For what its worth I did a bunch of study.com classes (over the course of 6-7 months) and transferred them into WGU and was able to easily finish the remaining 30 credits in 3 or so months. Whole thing cost a little under 5K and could be done in even less time depending on dedication and prior knowledge. When debating this myself the only reason I didn't go excelsior was the upper level class requirement and the degree conferral dates aren't a fast. (Had my WGU diploma in hand a week after passing the capstone)
[-] The following 1 user Likes JoshDosMil's post:
  • akr680
(11-05-2019, 01:51 PM)JoshDosMil Wrote: Depends on your existing credits, apply to everywhere to get an evaluation and see what comes back. Once you find out how they fit in your degree plan it is much easier to narrow the choices down.  

For what its worth I did a bunch of study.com classes (over the course of 6-7 months)  and transferred them into WGU and was able to easily finish the remaining 30 credits in 3 or so months. Whole thing cost a little under 5K and could be done in even less time depending on dedication and prior knowledge. When debating this myself the only reason I didn't go excelsior was the upper level class requirement and the degree conferral dates aren't a fast. (Had my WGU diploma in hand a week after passing the capstone)

Thanks for the feedback.  I should have my assessment back from WGU any day now on which credits they will accept.  Time is the biggest factor for me.  I receive up to 5k per year towards any type of education from the company I work for, so I am willing to pay more if I can complete it quicker as long as it is an accredited degree.  I do want to move on to pursue an MBA.
Did you have any credits when you started with study.com? I see that WGU has it mapped out pretty clearly on their partners page how it can be done, did you work with or let WGU know this was the path you were going to take beforehand?
With WGU, you absolutely cannot enroll until you've completed and transferred all of your alternative credit and any other credit you may have. So, you need to get the eval back, and then make a plan BEFORE enrolling (they may push you to enroll quickly, so you have to resist).

If you post your credits, we can help you figure out the best option.

School (NA or RA, 2yr or 4yr, Semester or quarter)
Course #, Course name, # of credits, grade if less than a C
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-05-2019, 04:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: With WGU, you absolutely cannot enroll until you've completed and transferred all of your alternative credit and any other credit you may have.  So, you need to get the eval back, and then make a plan BEFORE enrolling (they may push you to enroll quickly, so you have to resist).

What she said is key, so I'll say it again - With WGU, you absolutely cannot enroll until you've completed and transferred all of your alternative credit and any other credit you may have.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(11-05-2019, 06:39 PM)allvia Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 04:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: With WGU, you absolutely cannot enroll until you've completed and transferred all of your alternative credit and any other credit you may have.  So, you need to get the eval back, and then make a plan BEFORE enrolling (they may push you to enroll quickly, so you have to resist).

What she said is key, so I'll say it again - With WGU, you absolutely cannot enroll until you've completed and transferred all of your alternative credit and any other credit you may have.
Thank you for the feedback!  Again, I'm not married to the WGU idea.  I'm open to going the Big 3 route.  My goal is to get done as quickly as possible.  Any thoughts on advantages of going with Big 3 vs. WGU?  FWIW, I have 20+ years as a business owner and 10+ years in Executive Director roles in the non profit world.
(11-06-2019, 11:21 AM)Never2Late2Learn Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 06:39 PM)allvia Wrote:

Thank you for the feedback!  Again, I'm not married to the WGU idea.  I'm open to going the Big 3 route.  My goal is to get done as quickly as possible.  Any thoughts on advantages of going with Big 3 vs. WGU?  FWIW, I have 20+ years as a business owner and 10+ years in Executive Director roles in the non profit world.

If you have prior credit WGU would probably be quicker. WGU confers degrees once they are finished.

TESU only confers degrees 4 times a year. Even if you had prior credit and most your degree done the earliest you could get a degree at TESU at this point would be June 2020 and even that would be a stretch more likely leaning towards September 2020.

Like I said it all depends on what credits you have done. List them below. But I think if you have a lot of credits WGU is quicker if you don't have much or any it depends.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • Never2Late2Learn
WGU is probably the fastest option, and with your experience, you may be able to complete a lot of credits in a short amount of time to get to something like 60-70, then enroll at WGU and slam through your courses quickly.

With the Big 3, you have to take the coursework to get to 114cr, then enroll in the cornerstone and capstone, which will take time.

With all of the degrees, the NUMBER of credits you already have isn't as important as WHERE those credits will fit into a degree plan. If you took a bunch of math courses, for example, it won't help a ton in any of the degrees (it will help some). But if you took the right math courses, then that's great, and helpful for all of the degrees (college algebra & stats for instance).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Never2Late2Learn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,071 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Amberton website (major) redesign allvia 8 733 08-02-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,162 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Website is down? dfrecore 3 601 07-04-2022, 08:12 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  I Came to College Eager to Debate. I Found Self-Censorship Instead LevelUP 1 658 03-10-2022, 09:52 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 948 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Stressed & Depressed - today’s high school students Vle045 8 1,052 12-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Seeking alternative credit options Vle045 15 2,165 05-28-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  I have found my people. letterchaser202 12 1,834 05-09-2020, 02:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Seeking Advice on School/Program Regards 8 1,698 10-05-2019, 08:07 AM
Last Post: cookderosa