Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kahn academy
I wonder why schools And alt providers  don’t use Kahn academy for their math platform. @ least use the lectures and correspond it to their quizzes and such. He does such a great job compared to any other that I’ve seen or used. I’ve sampled Straighterline and it’s not  good at all.  I’m using Gradarius now and it’s awful, I mean terrible. You spend more time fooling with the platform than actually doing the work. So far the lectures are poor. I will give it some more time but at this point idk about it. At this point I think it may be best to use Kahn academy and then test out with saylor. What I don’t like about that is it’s all or nothing. There isn’t an offset from quizzes.
My stepkid's last school (in a different state) and current school both use Khan Academy for math. The current one uses it pretty much exclusively from what she describes. A coach takes attendance, then hits play on videos. He then ignores the classroom and plays scrabble on his phone for an hour. Gives out a test on Friday. Rinse. Repeat.
(10-08-2021, 11:07 AM)raycathode Wrote: My stepkid's last school (in a different state) and current school both use Khan Academy for math. The current one uses it pretty much exclusively from what she describes. A coach takes attendance, then hits play on videos. He then ignores the classroom and plays scrabble on his phone for an hour. Gives out a test on Friday. Rinse. Repeat.

Sounds like a quality teacher.  Angry 

Khan Academy is great for learning, but, these kids deserve a teacher who can work with them individually to learn the basics.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • Novo, ss20ts
Khan Academy is great for learning, but, these kids deserve a teacher who can work with them individually to learn the basics.

----
That is her complaint. I completely agree, but use it as an opportunity to teach her, "You're not always going to get the support you deserve. You're going to have bad jobs, bad professors, bad coworkers and bad managers throughout your life. Many times you're on your own and will have to figure out solutions to problems with no help.
Then when you're the mentor, you'll know the importance of lifting others up from the times somebody didn't help elevate you."
[-] The following 3 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • jch, jsd, ss20ts
(10-08-2021, 11:07 AM)raycathode Wrote: My stepkid's last school (in a different state) and current school both use Khan Academy for math. The current one uses it pretty much exclusively from what she describes. A coach takes attendance, then hits play on videos. He then ignores the classroom and plays scrabble on his phone for an hour. Gives out a test on Friday. Rinse. Repeat.

I think Khan Academy would NOT be happy with this at all.  Last I heard, they suggested that if you decide to use them for learning in this way, it's a "flipped" model in 1 of 2 ways:
1) synchronous model, where the teacher assigns homework for the kids to do Khan at home, learning the process, or
2) self-paced model, where kids go completely at their own pace
In both instances, the kids come to school to do "homework", ask questions, etc.  In the first model, the teacher answers questions from everyone, and they then do the homework; in the second, there might be a math center, where there are multiple math teachers or tutors or whoever who can actually help the students on a one-on-one basis.

There is no world in which Sal Khan would say that his platform should be used the way your kids' school is using it. None.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Davar Academy experience - MAN-330 International Management TopHatWombat 6 1,396 12-30-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: mariobros1985
  American Dream Alumni Academy? acethroughcollege 18 4,422 07-10-2023, 01:15 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,419 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Saylor Academy is very slow Leo Wu 2 1,196 06-11-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Davar Academy Preview? Carnation 3 838 01-01-2023, 02:40 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Academy has more ACE courses MNomadic 8 1,654 10-23-2022, 12:17 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  older National Fire Academy (NETC/FEMA) can now have ACE badges issued on Credly! jsd 14 1,954 02-23-2022, 02:32 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
Information WGU Academy Launches their Own ACE Course MNomadic 2 1,035 06-30-2021, 09:02 PM
  Davar Academy MAN 330 International Management and SDC 120 International Business elenlushk 7 1,904 11-16-2020, 04:45 PM
  Davar Academy Questions ashkir 5 1,911 11-11-2020, 02:52 PM
Last Post: ss20ts