Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knowing when to postpone...
Just got back from a major road trip. I took materials with, but just couldn't concentrate to study in the car or in motels, too much scenery, too much on my mind.

I am scheduled to take US History II and Am Gov on Tuesday, but I think I will reschedule for next week, my last week off before returning to teacher's meetings and then school again. I also am still waiting on my only two DSST tests to arrive at my testing center. I think I could do all four next week, two CLEPS on one day and the two DSST on another.

I just don't feel ready for an August 1st date. I have felt like I was on such a roll, and this feels like a failure in someways, Sad but I think I need to reframe it as a wise decision until I get back on track mentally and physically.

I am lucky in that I test at a small college, and they are open to rescheduling.

What do you think? :confused:

Good to be back, and hooray for all the hard work I've been reading about!
CT
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Green"]Mary

80 Traditional credits
45 testing

9 CLEPS
Freshmen Comp- 71
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit -72
Human Growth & Development -73
Ed Psych -67

CLEP Humanties- 7/11/06 -74
CLEP American Lit- 7/18/06 - 65
CLEP US History I I 7/18/06- 63
CLEP American Government 8/8-57
CLEP US History II 8/8 -68

2 DSSTs- 8/11
Here's to your Health 69
Fundamentals of Counseling 64

Indiana University School of Continuing Studies
B.G.S-Done!
125 credits 10/20/06 -
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Criticalthinker Wrote:Just got back from a major road trip. I took materials with, but just couldn't concentrate to study in the car or in motels, too much scenery, too much on my mind.

I am scheduled to take US History II and Am Gov on Tuesday, but I think I will reschedule for next week, my last week off before returning to teacher's meetings and then school again. I also am still waiting on my only two DSST tests to arrive at my testing center. I think I could do all four next week, two CLEPS on one day and the two DSST on another.

I just don't feel ready for an August 1st date. I have felt like I was on such a roll, and this feels like a failure in someways, Sad but I think I need to reframe it as a wise decision until I get back on track mentally and physically.

I am lucky in that I test at a small college, and they are open to rescheduling.

CT

It isn't a failure in ANY way CT. It is WISDOM.

Why take an exam that you don't feel adequately prepared for? In the overall scheme of things, postponing an exam for a while is no big deal. I've done it several times.

You know when you are ready, and when you are not. If you don't feel ready, go ahead and postpone until you do!

Don't forget, we go at an extremely accelerated pace. Even if you were to spend an entire month studying for one exam, you are still three months ahead of the traditional students. So a few extra days is neither here nor there.

Go with your gut CT!

Best of luck,
Snazzelfrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
I think you are right to postpone. Better to wait a week and be better prepared than to possibly fail the test and have to wait 180 days to retake it. So really the decision is to add one week to your planned graduation date or possibly add 180 days to it. :-)
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="blue"]
BS in Accounting(General) from Excelsior College
Enrolled in MBA program at Upper Iowa University.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Criticalthinker Wrote:Just got back from a major road trip. I took materials with, but just couldn't concentrate to study in the car or in motels, too much scenery, too much on my mind.

I just don't feel ready for an August 1st date. I have felt like I was on such a roll, and this feels like a failure in someways, but I think I need to reframe it as a wise decision until I get back on track mentally and physically.

CT
Hi Criticalthinker-
you don't have that name for nothing. Big Grin i hope your vacation was fun and restful for you. i think it's a wise descision to postpone your tests. you want to go into your tests mentally ready, saying "bring it on, baby! i'm ready, send it!." you had a break, and it's hard to get back in the swing of things. it takes time to build the momentum back up to speed. i'm just two steps past where you are now. i went out of town for a few days, then had company for a week. now i am trying to get back into it with statistics of all things. i am having a tough time what with all the distractions of summer and kids, etc. i understand about feeling like a failure in some ways, but you can't always be going at 150%, sometimes you end up with a speed bump here or there and have to slow down to 110%, hilarious that's just the way it is. you are very correct to reframe that thought as a wise descision until back on track. in the whole scheme of things, one week is not a big deal. you've come this far and done great! things will fall back into place, don't worry! Smile
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]Knowing when or if to postpone any exam is perhaps the greatest strength anyone could ask for. It truly is the difference between wisdom and foolhardy actions.

Remember: "Slow and steady wins the race."

The test will still be there waiting for you when YOU'RE ready.

GOOD LUCK!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Criticalthinker Wrote:...I think I need to reframe it as a wise decision until I get back on track mentally and physically.

CT

Personally, I think you are one smart lady! Good for you! And yes, you are VERY lucky that you have a college that is open to rescheduling...count that as an extra blessing for sure.

Good luck with everything! We're all with you...

JoAnne hilarious
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
yutzi Wrote:i went out of town for a few days, then had company for a week. now i am trying to get back into it with statistics of all things. i am having a tough time what with all the distractions of summer and kids, etc.

Hi Dawn...I can't imagine studying for statistics with THAT many distractions...wow! Do you have a date scheduled yet for taking the exam? That is my next exam (after the two I'm taking on Monday), and I'm thinking I won't even SCHEDULE it until I know I'm ready (unfortunately, my testing center charges me to change the date, so I don't want to jump the gun until I'm feeling confident). Also, what are you using to study for it?

Well, best of luck with your studying, and let us know when you're taking the exam so we can pray, chant, root for you!!

Take care,
JoAnne :p
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
Thanks, I just needed to hear that. It is hard to slow down a bit, when the momentum has been so high.

Dropped daughter #2 off in NYC at school, visited family in VA, hours and hours in the car, so much time, but I just couldn't stop looking out the window and listening to NPR. hilarious

Thanks, Dawn, too, posting about your similar experiences really helped!

Sounds like all of us have had "life" intrude or give us speed bumps.

Part of what was bothering me is that my work vacation is almost over, and I had this idea in my head that I would be through with everything by the time I started teaching again. It is so much easier for me to do this without the distraction of school, yet there are times when it is a nice break from my job to go take a test.

I am going to schedule everything for the week of August 7-11. I still have to finish my three Independent study courses, but I can do that while teaching, it's not so intense.

It is better to add one week to my goal of a finishing date, than 6 months!

I do have my youngest going to college in September, and my oldest getting married in September. This is quite a year, but when it's all over, I will have my degree, as well as other wonderful life events to remember.

So back to the IC drawing board...I have to get my mojo working again!

Thanks for the support and wisdom!
CT

p.s. It is soooooo hot here, that's not helping my concentration!
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Green"]Mary

80 Traditional credits
45 testing

9 CLEPS
Freshmen Comp- 71
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit -72
Human Growth & Development -73
Ed Psych -67

CLEP Humanties- 7/11/06 -74
CLEP American Lit- 7/18/06 - 65
CLEP US History I I 7/18/06- 63
CLEP American Government 8/8-57
CLEP US History II 8/8 -68

2 DSSTs- 8/11
Here's to your Health 69
Fundamentals of Counseling 64

Indiana University School of Continuing Studies
B.G.S-Done!
125 credits 10/20/06 -
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Kiwi Lover Wrote:Hi Dawn...I can't imagine studying for statistics with THAT many distractions...wow! Do you have a date scheduled yet for taking the exam? That is my next exam (after the two I'm taking on Monday), and I'm thinking I won't even SCHEDULE it until I know I'm ready (unfortunately, my testing center charges me to change the date, so I don't want to jump the gun until I'm feeling confident). Also, what are you using to study for it?

Well, best of luck with your studying, and let us know when you're taking the exam so we can pray, chant, root for you!!

Take care,
JoAnne :p

Hi JoAnne-
i am using summer and kids as an excuse not to get my butt in gear and i need to really gear it back up but it is hard. this may be my oldest's last summer at home, so i am trying to make the most of what little time she is not working or with her boyfriend or with her friends or etc. Good luck on your tests monday, i'll lite the candle and think of you.

i'm very lucky that my testing center doesn't charge to change test times. the center and proctor are great! i don't have a time set yet but i'm aiming for the 8/8, 8/9, or 8/10 as my center is only open tuesday, wednesday, or thursday. i'm using primarily instantcert and the ID-10-T's guide to supplement. i started out reading the idiot's guide for several chapters for a foundation and then went to instantcert but wished i'd have done it the other way around. i've done three sections and now will start the probablility section THEN i will go back and read the idiot's guide to back it up. then i will go back to instantcert to finish and then the idiot's guide for reinforcement. i'll let you know how that works out for me. also snazzle gave me some excellent advice. he said don't spend a lot of time on something very complicated (for me it was the very end of section 3, but i'm still hoping to catch on because i haven't spent a lot of time thinking about that last point) but spend time on learning and reinforcing everything else. for me that advice is good advice because i always want to understand everything 100% and i spend WAY too much unnessesary time on one small point. and that is time i could be getting other points down absolutely cold.

i'll let you know how it goes, unfortunately i won't have my score until the testing center sends it by pony express to the post office so i can receive it. this is my first experience with dsst and i'm not looking forward to it. one good thing is that the test is still untimed, that is why i'm taking it now.
Dawn

72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Criticalthinker Wrote:Thanks, I just needed to hear that. It is hard to slow down a bit, when the momentum has been so high.

Dropped daughter #2 off in NYC at school, visited family in VA, hours and hours in the car, so much time, but I just couldn't stop looking out the window and listening to NPR. hilarious

Thanks, Dawn, too, posting about your similar experiences really helped!

Sounds like all of us have had "life" intrude or give us speed bumps.

Part of what was bothering me is that my work vacation is almost over, and I had this idea in my head that I would be through with everything by the time I started teaching again. It is so much easier for me to do this without the distraction of school, yet there are times when it is a nice break from my job to go take a test.

I am going to schedule everything for the week of August 7-11. I still have to finish my three Independent study courses, but I can do that while teaching, it's not so intense.

It is better to add one week to my goal of a finishing date, than 6 months!

I do have my youngest going to college in September, and my oldest getting married in September. This is quite a year, but when it's all over, I will have my degree, as well as other wonderful life events to remember.

So back to the IC drawing board...I have to get my mojo working again!

Thanks for the support and wisdom!
CT

p.s. It is soooooo hot here, that's not helping my concentration!

Hi Mary-
four tests that you are going to take in one week, youngest going off to college in sept, oldest getting married in sept (congratulations by the way), work starting back up, etc, etc, etc - i think you have a lot going on right now. how are you doing it all? i'd be looking out the car window too! i give you a lot of credit (college credit if i could hilarious ). i'm betting come october you will have less distractions and study time will come easier.

and yes it's so hot here too!
Dawn