Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kumon or Alternatives - For Kids - Help?
Hey, my wife and I were deciding to place our kids into the Kumon or Alternative program as they've got virtual classes offered now.   I was wondering how their service is, has anyone placed their kids into these programs before?  Is there a recommended service over the other?  We're going to an orientation to see how it works and to see if our kids like the service or not.  Just wanting feedback from people who have used these services to help them with English, Math and whatever else they teach/tutor besides english and math...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Our kids went through Kumon. I can't really recommend it. The method basically hands endless worksheets to the students with zero instruction. They are sort of expected to soak it up by osmosis, which quickly becomes very demoralizing. They also have to get a certain number right before they are allowed to move on, and the kid gets frustrated with getting a couple wrong and having to do the same worksheets over again and again.

If I were to do it again, I would look for something that was more active and more engaging. If you do decide to try it, plan on being more hands on than the center tells you to be.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I don't have any direct experience with Kumon but I've only ever heard bad things about them. It's all essentially what davewill said: boring, frustrating, repetitive. If you're looking for online classes, I've heard good things about Connections Academy. If you're only looking for tutoring services, I'm not sure where to go.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Can you pull them out of their current school (assuming it's going to continue to be virtual meaning Zoom and whatnot pulled together badly for the rest of the school year), and put them in a virtual charter school for free in your state (assuming said school was virtual long before Covid came along, and the whole system was originally created to be online)?

My kid was doing this horrible hybrid virtual/on-campus thing that was the WORST. It was so much work, at a really fast pace, and he lost his mind. Once we pulled him out and put him in virtual charter school, it was SO MUCH better. He spends way less time doing schoolwork/busywork than his friends who are still in the hybrid fiasco of a system, and he feels like he's actually learning, while they all say they've learned nothing since last March.

Just another perspective. It's the same with college - ones that were already online are just fine, generally speaking, while those that tried to wing it are terrible (my daughter is in a CC now, she tells me horror stories from her friends).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homeschooling Kids StoicJ 8 735 01-08-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  Alternatives for basic computer and information literacy dscat 7 829 02-28-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Where did they go? Kids missing from public schools bjcheung77 5 637 02-16-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Tired of WGU proctoring - non-proctored alternatives zadaea 14 11,116 09-08-2022, 04:08 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 705 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Parents want to know what the companies do with kids’ data bjcheung77 0 467 01-17-2022, 05:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Ivy League Alternatives and Equivalents sanantone 8 1,457 08-07-2021, 07:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Alternatives to TEL/ONU for High School Students bjcheung77 1 780 07-28-2021, 11:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Looking For TESU World History Alternatives tls7291 4 1,090 01-13-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Regionally-Accreditted SL Alternatives masrat858 9 2,240 06-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Last Post: ECH90