Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LIB-495 Textbook
Hello, I am taking the liberal arts capstone starting in a few weeks and the syllabus says there is a required textbook. Is that textbook worth buying if I have never done a class as intense as this?
Most textbooks are available cheaper if you get the international version of the same edition, having said that, it may be better to borrow, lend, or rent from the major providers out there for cheaper. It really depends, I don't think you'll need the book for later on, it's a good reference tool though if you needed it... Review your options and decide what you want to do.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-23-2024, 11:47 AM)ACI Wrote: Hello, I am taking the liberal arts capstone starting in a few weeks and the syllabus says there is a required textbook. Is that textbook worth buying if I have never done a class as intense as this?

For that class, you don't need the textbook. They never refer to the textbook for assignments or forum posts.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
The textbook is useful, in that it has a lot of helpful tips and strategies for writing a large capstone or thesis. It goes into a lot of detail about developing your topic, expanding into the various parts of the paper.  I found it helpful in improving my writing (and I already had a lot of experience writing lengthy papers.)

But the previous poster is correct; it is not absolutely required.

If you can find a copy somewhere -- it does exist in PDF format -- then I'd recommend it. But not if you have to pay $100 for it, which I think is a typical price.
[-] The following 2 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • jch, origamishuttle
You can access the e-textbook on the Pearson website for $10.99/month https://www.pearson.com/en-us/subject-ca...0137540853
[-] The following 2 users Like RJ77's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az
Took TESU LIB 495 in 2021. Looks like same book and edition being used now. Did a pdf rental to keep cost down. I used the link TESU provided to VitalSource. The textbook had an early chapter with helps on how to develop a question for research with some structure in how to phrase the question. Found that helpful in the first week especially in discussion board where others were struggling. This kind of writing was new to me and others in the course. And some of the helps for that were in the textbook and kept me from having to find other sources.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 3 users Like P226mem's post:
  • jch, origamishuttle, rachel83az
I didn't get the textbook, but I feel like I would have benefited from it. I was told that I had to change my question and rewrite my paper two days before it was due. Even though I scraped through, it would have been nice to get it right from the beginning.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
They have the book on eBay for $5.

$5 is nothing, so I suggest grabbing it, but you will barely use it.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(01-26-2024, 10:31 AM)origamishuttle Wrote: I didn't get the textbook, but I feel like I would have benefited from it. I was told that I had to change my question and rewrite my paper two days before it was due. Even though I scraped through, it would have been nice to get it right from the beginning.

I'm curious what professor required you to change your question and rewrite your paper two days before it was due?Are you talking about a particular one of the papers that lead up to the capstone, or the whole capstone paper?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 461 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  COS 330 Computer Archetecture textbook actuaryWannabe 21 2,098 04-07-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Sallym
  LIB-495 Capstone textbook Lacedonia4 8 1,471 08-07-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finding Textbook Info @ TESU mysonx3 3 935 03-16-2019, 01:28 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Legit? Textbook for TESU business capstone fork 11 2,817 11-28-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: fork