Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Labor Relations ECE Exam for upper level credit
Hello all,
I just finished the test in Labor relations so I wanted to let you know what I found. Since there is little specific study material, it was difficult to decide what to concentrate on. The following topics seemed to weigh heavily on the version I took...

"Good faith" bargaining
The role of the National Labor Relations Board in dispute resolution.
The difference and actions of Wagner act and all the amending acts.
Differences between a private and a public sector union and the difference in rules governing them.
Mediation vs Arbitration
Rules of arbitration
The "chain of command" for dispute settlement within the union
Rules for attempting to organize a union and the employers rights when it comes to opposing a union.

As far as preparing for the test....I used the ECE study guide from the Excelsior site and pulled up the major outline subjects on Wikipedia.I also looked at the sections and questions on Labor relation and employment law on Principals of management and Human resources on InstantCert. For an upper level test...it really was not as bad as I expected. I passed the test with an A.
Name: Lynda
Completed hours:126/ Hours completed by test:100
School:Excelsior Degree:BGB
All tests completed!
Classes in Progress-
Business Strategy
Operations Management
Algebra
FINITO! on August 15th- if I can pass Algebra that is...Big Grin )
tampalizard Wrote:Hello all,
I just finished the test in Labor relations so I wanted to let you know what I found. Since there is little specific study material, it was difficult to decide what to concentrate on. The following topics seemed to weigh heavily on the version I took...

"Good faith" bargaining
The role of the National Labor Relations Board in dispute resolution.
The difference and actions of Wagner act and all the amending acts.
Differences between a private and a public sector union and the difference in rules governing them.
Mediation vs Arbitration
Rules of arbitration
The "chain of command" for dispute settlement within the union
Rules for attempting to organize a union and the employers rights when it comes to opposing a union.

As far as preparing for the test....I used the ECE study guide from the Excelsior site and pulled up the major outline subjects on Wikipedia.I also looked at the sections and questions on Labor relation and employment law on Principals of management and Human resources on InstantCert. For an upper level test...it really was not as bad as I expected. I passed the test with an A.

tampa,

Thanks for posting this info.

I find it interesting that you were able to get an 'A' on this exam using just Wikipedia and parts of Instantcert. I feel very encouraged, and not quite so nervous about Excelsior exams after reading your feedback.

How would you say the wording of the questions is in comparison to DANTES/CLEP? Are there trick questions? Or are the questions relatively straighforward as long as you have studied for the exam?

I know that the ECEs have a lot more questions (160?) on them than the DANTES/CLEPS, but would you say that the ECEs are harder, the same, or easier than the other exams you have taken?

Thanks in advance,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
On the two I took today (I took some Regents ACT/PEP tests to get a degree in 1990) I would say that the questions are fairly straight forward and that you can usually identify 2 of the 4 answers as obviously incorrect. That gives you a 50/50 chance of choosing the right answer even if you don't know for sure. The questions seemed more detailed than the CLEP tests but, if you read them carefully, there is usually enough info to rule out one or two answers. There also seemed to be a great deal of repeating the same question in different words on the Labor relations test especially. I have a rule that I follow that I do not agonize over any questions. Either I know it or I don't...and I always go with my first instrinct. I do not review or change any answers and I usually finish my tests in 35 to 45 minutes (with the exception of accounting. I almost ran out of time on that one!) It sounds like you are a pretty good test taker. I am sure you will do fine! Thanks!
Name: Lynda
Completed hours:126/ Hours completed by test:100
School:Excelsior Degree:BGB
All tests completed!
Classes in Progress-
Business Strategy
Operations Management
Algebra
FINITO! on August 15th- if I can pass Algebra that is...Big Grin )
Outstanding job Lynda! And thanks for the info about this upper level ECE. While I don't plan to take this exam, I've given it some thought as it pertains well to the business degree. I might take another look at it after I finish everything else I need for the completion of my degree.
-Need 6 more credits for Excelsior College BS in General Business
-Tested out of 46 credits to date
Credits to finish:
Operations Mgmt-CSU-Pueblo MGMT 311
Business Policy- CSU Pueblo MGMT 485 or TESC exam???
thanks, Lynda, for the info. this could easily be a test i take sometime next year and i'll be glad to be able to reference back to this. great grade!
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
Lynda,

I'm taking this test soon, and the information you've provided is invaluable. About how much time did you take to study for it? It seems to me there are A LOT of facts to remember, because of all the laws and procedures. Thanks!!
tampalizard Wrote:Hello all,
I just finished the test in Labor relations - I passed the test with an A.

[SIZE="5"]Excellent!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,565 10 hours ago
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,820 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 1,074 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 538 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,967 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 259 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 749 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 697 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,267 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 701 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso