Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Law School Online
(08-09-2021, 12:33 PM)newdegree Wrote: http://law.syr.edu/admissions/online-jd-program/

This is one of several hybrid programs that have been approved in the past few years. It requires live online courses and in-person residencies. It's kind of misleading for them to advertise it as an online program since there are four semesters with required residencies.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-09-2021, 01:07 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(08-09-2021, 12:33 PM)newdegree Wrote: http://law.syr.edu/admissions/online-jd-program/

This is one of several hybrid programs that have been approved in the past few years. It requires live online courses and in-person residencies. It's kind of misleading for them to advertise it as an online program since there are four semesters with required residencies.

It's says it's interactive:

[Image: JDi_Logo.jpg]

They are also very upfront about the live classes and on campus classes:

The ABA-approved program combines real-time, live online class sessions with self-paced instruction, on-campus courses, and experiential learning opportunities.

They did not hide any of that info at all.
(08-09-2021, 01:11 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-09-2021, 01:07 PM)sanantone Wrote:

It's says it's interactive:

[Image: JDi_Logo.jpg]

They are also very upfront about the live classes and on campus classes:

The ABA-approved program combines real-time, live online class sessions with self-paced instruction, on-campus courses, and experiential learning opportunities.

They did not hide any of that info at all.

I didn't say they hid info. I said it is misleading to call it an online program. It is a hybrid program.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Hybrid and interactive online are the same thing. You're arguing over semantics. I'm pretty sure SU knows what they're doing and don't need approval from anyone on this forum.
(08-09-2021, 01:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Hybrid and interactive online are the same thing. You're arguing over semantics. I'm pretty sure SU knows what they're doing and don't need approval from anyone on this forum.

Those are not the same thing. Interactive online refers to live online courses, not the required residencies. An online program is still online if it requires synchronous courses that are delivered online. On-campus residencies are not online, and those are not the interactive online courses.

This isn't a matter of Syracuse needing someone's approval. This is me expressing that hybrid programs are not online programs.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Flelm
I didn't read anything besides the title of the program, and I went with the plain English reading of interactive online: There would be live, interactive classes/lectures/discussions. I did not assume it was a hybrid program.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • sanantone
(08-09-2021, 02:22 PM)Flelm Wrote: I didn't read anything besides the title of the program, and I went with the plain English reading of interactive online: There would be live, interactive classes/lectures/discussions. I did not assume it was a hybrid program.

I figured it would confuse some because you have to read further to see that there are on-campus courses, and the main page doesn't explain that the on-campus courses are required. I've seen several schools advertise the option of taking courses on campus or doing some kind of in-person experience, but it's not required. Syracuse's use of "interactive" refers to their online courses. They all have a live component allowing students to interact with the professor and classmates in real time. 

• Coursework is taught with an interactive, fine-tuned mix of live and self-paced online classes.
"In the virtual classroom, students and the professor interact in real time, and the professor can dialog with students using the Socratic method of teaching, just as she or he would in a residential classroom. Students can see and respond to one another, pose their own questions, and even work together in break-out groups."

https://jdinteractive.syr.edu/curriculum/about-jdis-online-classes/
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(08-08-2021, 10:32 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I really wonder with the ABA's issue is. It's 2021 and even without the pandemic online learning has become HUGE and is continuing to grow not decrease. There are paralegal programs available online taking the same law courses and using the exact same textbooks. It's ok for paralegals but not lawyers? Why?

There are no ABA approved online programs for Paralegals.  They approve some hybrid programs.  And there are crap ton of paralegal programs that are not ABA approved.  While it is not a requirement for a paralegal to have an ABA approved degree, it definitely can help.  Some employers prefer it.   Having completed a Paralegal program from an ABA approved school, I can certainly understand why.  Some experiences you just can’t get online.    I began my Paralegal program at a business school that was not ABA approved and I saw a HUGE difference in the two programs.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
Two things jump out at me.  The first is that is the arguments (competent v. licensed) and (online interactive v. hybrid) are good arguments as words require definitions and there needs to be some agreement as to the definitions.  Personally, I think a case could be made for saying that licensed and competent (as it applies to attorneys) are the same thing.  The license is a symbol indicating that the state governing body has found the attorney to be competent to practice law in that state.  You may have a personal (higher) standard for competence and you may apply that standard when you are hiring an attorney but your standard does not apply to all attorneys.  You do not have the authority to officially state that an attorney is incompetent.  Or at least, your opinion in the matter doesn't actually alter the attorney's ability to practice.

I also wanted to make a guess about the reason that online teaching/learning didn't go so well.  I'm guessing that a decisive factor was simply that the law professors and the institutions themselves are generally against the idea of online law schools.  After all, it's against their own self-interest at this point.  Also, the law schools and the professors who teach there were entirely unprepared to address this need.  Lots of schools had some type of distance learning components up and running when the pandemic hit but law schools (thanks to the ABA) basically had nothing.  Maybe even less than nothing as I'll bet that lots of those law professors were less than eager on learning how to navigate online learning platforms (that's what interns are for).  If the  ABA ever gives the green light to go 100% online then a lot of law schools will pop up quickly.  I'm sure UPhoenix, Northcentral, Walden, etc. all have law programs in development, just waiting for the green light.  How may law schools do you think are actively planning to go online?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • rachel83az
Here's an ad for Taft Law School that says that their grads have very good ROI.
Taft Law School Recognized with Harvard & Stanford Universities in Providing an Acceptable ROI to Graduates (prnewswire.com)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 28 18,117 3 minutes ago
Last Post: Dawgenstein
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 287 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 184 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,345 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 355 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 633 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 542 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,120 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 696 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 389 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem