Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaving Kaplan...Exploring Options
I am almost done with my second MBA course at Kaplan.

I am thinking about transferring to a more reputable program. Of course I just looked at WGU and they are no longer accepting enrollment from NC residents? Did I read that right? let me see if I can find the article again.....
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
futuremrsmlb Wrote:I am almost done with my second MBA course at Kaplan.

I am thinking about transferring to a more reputable program. Of course I just looked at WGU and they are no longer accepting enrollment from NC residents? Did I read that right? let me see if I can find the article again.....

You're right, this is the message that pops up if you enter a North Carolina address on WGU's admission application:
[Image: f4yk2EN.png]
futuremrsmlb Wrote:I am almost done with my second MBA course at Kaplan.

An MBA program's strength is not in its ranking, it's in its cohort. When you find programs you are interested in, research graduates of the program. Sometimes the MBA program's website will give you that info. Sometimes you have to get creative and use sites like LinkedIn. The most powerful program in your ares is exorbitantly expensive (UNC) and difficult to get into. But I think you would probably do well in attending a local school's online or PT program as companies in your area will actively recruit from these schools.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:An MBA program's strength is not in its ranking, it's in its cohort. When you find programs you are interested in, research graduates of the program. Sometimes the MBA program's website will give you that info. Sometimes you have to get creative and use sites like LinkedIn. The most powerful program in your ares is exorbitantly expensive (UNC) and difficult to get into. But I think you would probably do well in attending a local school's online or PT program as companies in your area will actively recruit from these schools.

Thanks for that tidbit.
Yea, I looked into UNC and ran fast when the advisor informed me of the $120k price tag.
I am considering Barton College. However, I am hesitant. The program is in its infancy and not accredited (regionally or business). Also, most of the program is butt-in-seat offering NO flexibility.

I attempted the undergraduate program at Barton and could not finish there. The time commitment was a strain. 4hr classes every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Online classes are minimal....still researching
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
Yeah, the UNC program is a cash-cow, although the school can be considered a "Public Ivy". I know one of our members here is attending the program (I think BiPolar Guy), and he's very happy with it, but the cost is basically a small mortgage. If you are near Charlotte, Wake Forest has a Saturday MBA program. The program website says the average student has a 3.2 GPA and a 607 GMAT, both very do-able numbers. You can also consider East Carolina. Look at gradschools.com and geteducated.com for some ideas, but make sure you try to limit your search and weed out non-local schools. You can even expand your search a bit to online programs in the surrounding states.

Just make sure the MBA you choose provides the utility you need. No program should be judged solely on cost (although important) and ease (although important). It should be a balance of cost, ease, selectivity, reputation, acceptability in your industry and of course, the ability to launch you on your chosen career path.

In my example, I am only half way through my MBA program, but I have found that just having it on my resume has already paid dividends. Now, due to my military service, I'm able to have the GI Bill front most of the cost, I could have gone to cheaper, or more expensive, or even quicker choices, but I'm not sure how much they would have paid off. So my choice is working for me, and I have already made lifelong business connections.

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Prloko Wrote:Yeah, the UNC program is a cash-cow, although the school can be considered a "Public Ivy". I know one of our members here is attending the program (I think BiPolar Guy), and he's very happy with it, but the cost is basically a small mortgage. If you are near Charlotte, Wake Forest has a Saturday MBA program. The program website says the average student has a 3.2 GPA and a 607 GMAT, both very do-able numbers. You can also consider East Carolina. Look at gradschools.com and geteducated.com for some ideas, but make sure you try to limit your search and weed out non-local schools. You can even expand your search a bit to online programs in the surrounding states.

Just make sure the MBA you choose provides the utility you need. No program should be judged solely on cost (although important) and ease (although important). It should be a balance of cost, ease, selectivity, reputation, acceptability in your industry and of course, the ability to launch you on your chosen career path.

In my example, I am only half way through my MBA program, but I have found that just having it on my resume has already paid dividends. Now, due to my military service, I'm able to have the GI Bill front most of the cost, I could have gone to cheaper, or more expensive, or even quicker choices, but I'm not sure how much they would have paid off. So my choice is working for me, and I have already made lifelong business connections.

If I did not work 5-6 days a week (including Saturday) this might be a strong possibility.
I need FLEXIBILITY along with respectability, cost and all the other characteristics you mentioned. My company will cover 6 MBA courses per year. I thought it was 100% but that only applies to undergrad degrees.
Have you looked at the Patten MBA program? I seem to remember that several people here liked the program and the format was similar to WGU. Oh, and they said to ask for enrollment/ tuition discounts too.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:Have you looked at the Patten MBA program? I seem to remember that several people here liked the program and the format was similar to WGU. Oh, and they said to ask for enrollment/ tuition discounts too.

I haven't used Patten for MBA, but I'm currently doing undergrad through them. They are similar to WGU in setup (self-paced, low cost). I prefer WGU's format, because i could accelerate a little faster (patten has a test and paper in every class). With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Patten for those not looking to teach in the future and not looking for the social aspects of an MBA. With that said, I'm not sure if it's more reputable than Kaplan. It is for-profit, but probably much less known.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
futuremrsmlb Wrote:If I did not work 5-6 days a week (including Saturday) this might be a strong possibility.
I need FLEXIBILITY along with respectability, cost and all the other characteristics you mentioned. My company will cover 6 MBA courses per year. I thought it was 100% but that only applies to undergrad degrees.

I understand 100% the difficulties of trying to complete a Master's program with a heavy workload. WGU has a pretty good reputation in the IT world, and is acceptable for government, but not sure outside of that, although we have a lot of folks here who can give insight.

6 courses per year is pretty good. I'm not sure where you are located, but try some of the local programs and even the online programs from reputable schools. I have a question, and you can answer with a PM if you wish. What is the tuition limit for the 6 courses? Because 2U has a few flexible programs from reputable schools, but they can be expensive (50k and up), with 6 courses covered you can be done in about 3 years.

EDIT: From a previous post I recommended visiting geteducated.com. I take that back. The new format is atrocious.

PrLoko-isms

futuremrsmlb Wrote:Thanks for that tidbit.
Yea, I looked into UNC and ran fast when the advisor informed me of the $120k price tag.
I am considering Barton College. However, I am hesitant. The program is in its infancy and not accredited (regionally or business). Also, most of the program is butt-in-seat offering NO flexibility.

I attempted the undergraduate program at Barton and could not finish there. The time commitment was a strain. 4hr classes every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Online classes are minimal....still researching

According to their website, Barton College's MBA program is both RA by SACS and has programmatic accreditation through IACBE. Seems like a decent option if you could handle 8 week courses. But with your schedule, may be a bit tough.

https://www.barton.edu/graduate/master-o...istration/

PrLoko-isms

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 8 303 04-20-2024, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Lightorb333
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,144 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Analysis paralysis options jb111 5 456 02-13-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master of Healthcare Administration - options? allvia 4 811 05-10-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: CatsDomino
  MSCS options ElephantCart 14 1,900 08-27-2022, 02:12 PM
  MS Data Science/Data Analytics options? Latesterna 24 3,831 06-08-2022, 02:03 PM
  List My Master's Degree Options TINASAM 11 1,903 06-08-2022, 01:55 PM
  Masters degree options after BSBA at TESU schlocker 7 1,402 05-23-2022, 06:11 AM
Last Post: freeloader
  Affordable Arkansas Degree Options bjcheung77 2 1,517 01-03-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  <gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! bjcheung77 19 3,305 05-03-2021, 11:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore