Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaving Kaplan...Exploring Options
Prloko Wrote:According to their website, Barton College's MBA program is both RA by SACS and has programmatic accreditation through IACBE. Seems like a decent option if you could handle 8 week courses. But with your schedule, may be a bit tough.

https://www.barton.edu/graduate/master-o...istration/

Well that changed rather quickly! I inquired in May and it was not yet approved for accreditation and the school was unsure when it would be completed! Geez, I will look at them again ..thanks!
Kaplan courses are 7 weeks. So 8 weeks might not be so bad! This is pretty good news for today!

EDIT: holy crap, tuition is 750/cr.!!!!!!! that would cost 714 more per course. With Kaplan I get the 20% alumni discount so I only pay 353/cr :leaving:

My job covers 6 classes annually with the max being $2k per course (excluding fees, books. so tuition only)
Right now, I am not using this benefit because it will require a 2 year commitment beyond graduation. I am not willing to make the commitment Wink
futuremrsmlb Wrote:... My job covers 6 classes annually with the max being $2k per course (excluding fees, books. so tuition only)
Right now, I am not using this benefit because it will require a 2 year commitment beyond graduation. I am not willing to make the commitment Wink
Do you know how they handle it if you don't stay for the 2 years? My employer has a very similar requirement, and if I quit, I simply pay back the tuition. Which means I'm no worse off than if I hadn't used it. However, if I get RIF'd, retire with a disability, refuse a transfer, or a few other scenarios it vests immediately and I don't have to pay it back. Also, it partially vests after one year.

So, I'm doing it even though I have have severe doubts about whether I will stay for the vesting period. Obviously, I picked the school as if I were paying for it ('cause I might be).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
futuremrsmlb Wrote:Well that changed rather quickly! I inquired in May and it was not yet approved for accreditation and the school was unsure when it would be completed! Geez, I will look at them again ..thanks!
Kaplan courses are 7 weeks. So 8 weeks might not be so bad! This is pretty good news for today!

EDIT: holy crap, tuition is 750/cr.!!!!!!! that would cost 714 more per course. With Kaplan I get the 20% alumni discount so I only pay 353/cr :leaving:

My job covers 6 classes annually with the max being $2k per course (excluding fees, books. so tuition only)
I completely understand about the commitment portion. Many people, myself included, don't want to be committed to a company that long. Than again, most of us do it with our cell phone plans :p

There are low cost MBA options out there from reputable schools. Some folks have already mentioned LSUS on here. I'm also aware of University of Louisiana-Monroe, which the tuition was dirt cheap (comparably at least).

What made you sour on Kaplan? Is it the stigma?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
If all else fails, you can also consider staying with Kaplan. If you can finish the next few courses with them, it shouldn't be that bad...
I've heard stories that they're underpaying the faculty and so on, but overall, they should be a lot better than say University of Phoenix.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Another option:
Walden Programs - Business Management - Master's - Master of Business Administration MBA - Tempo Lea

Half off tuition for the life of the program when you start on September 5, 2016.

Walden has a lot of tuition discounts going on right now.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
futuremrsmlb Wrote:My job covers 6 classes annually with the max being $2k per course (excluding fees, books. so tuition only)

That is super generous up to $12k/yr. Just take out up to $12k in student loans and pay each class worth in 24 months. This way you can still resign from your company without being forced to repay. The only extra cost is a little bit of interest, which I would view as insurance. If you are pretty sure you are leaving quite a bit before the 2 years (eg. job hunting right now), then I hear you about not making the commitment.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
davewill Wrote:Do you know how they handle it if you don't stay for the 2 years? My employer has a very similar requirement, and if I quit, I simply pay back the tuition. Which means I'm no worse off than if I hadn't used it. However, if I get RIF'd, retire with a disability, refuse a transfer, or a few other scenarios it vests immediately and I don't have to pay it back. Also, it partially vests after one year.

So, I'm doing it even though I have have severe doubts about whether I will stay for the vesting period. Obviously, I picked the school as if I were paying for it ('cause I might be).

Yea. It is something very similar. After one year, I would have to repay 50%. Involuntary termination I would pay nothing pay and if I leave voluntarily I would repay what ever portion I owed at that time.
KayV Wrote:Another option:
Walden Programs - Business Management - Master's - Master of Business Administration MBA - Tempo Lea

Half off tuition for the life of the program when you start on September 5, 2016.

Walden has a lot of tuition discounts going on right now.

I have checked into WaldenU. I don't think I will go that route. It would be the same as staying at KU.
TrailRunr Wrote:That is super generous up to $12k/yr. Just take out up to $12k in student loans and pay each class worth in 24 months. This way you can still resign from your company without being forced to repay. The only extra cost is a little bit of interest, which I would view as insurance. If you are pretty sure you are leaving quite a bit before the 2 years (eg. job hunting right now), then I hear you about not making the commitment.

Currently job seeking hilarious
That is what I am currently doing (student loans)
I can have my company repay at any time if I submit the request. So, it's no big deal. I anticipate requesting reimbursement for 1 year once I have earned it next year. I don't expect to make it 2 years but 1 is doable Smile Then move on.......unless I find better employment before then
bjcheung77 Wrote:If all else fails, you can also consider staying with Kaplan. If you can finish the next few courses with them, it shouldn't be that bad...
I've heard stories that they're underpaying the faculty and so on, but overall, they should be a lot better than say University of Phoenix.

This is a likely option Smile I don't have issues with KU. Just a tad bit concerned with all of the negative press (and stigma, utility of degree from school). My experience with them has been great. No major issues. The program is challenging but the point is to earn good grades. Not to be given good grades. So far, I am doing that Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 8 293 04-20-2024, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Lightorb333
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,136 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Analysis paralysis options jb111 5 455 02-13-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master of Healthcare Administration - options? allvia 4 807 05-10-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: CatsDomino
  MSCS options ElephantCart 14 1,899 08-27-2022, 02:12 PM
  MS Data Science/Data Analytics options? Latesterna 24 3,825 06-08-2022, 02:03 PM
  List My Master's Degree Options TINASAM 11 1,900 06-08-2022, 01:55 PM
  Masters degree options after BSBA at TESU schlocker 7 1,401 05-23-2022, 06:11 AM
Last Post: freeloader
  Affordable Arkansas Degree Options bjcheung77 2 1,514 01-03-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  <gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! bjcheung77 19 3,301 05-03-2021, 11:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore