Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberal Arts OR Psychology BA at TESU - capstone related
Hi,

I'm almost at a stage to register for my TESU capstone. I was planning to graduate with a BA in Psychology but after seeing the Capstone requirements i.e. the requirement of the Major Field Test, I'm having second thoughts. I'm thinking to switch to a BA in Liberal Arts instead and do the written communication assignment instead, as I am presuming it is much easier than the major field test. 
Anyone have any thoughts to share on that? 
Also how is the major field test marked? You get 10% just by taking it, or your score is worth 10% of the final capstone mark.   

Thanks
The major field test is a joke. You get full credit (10% of your grade) just for completing it, regardless of your results.

It's been years since I went through it, but I don't recall it taking much time and knowing that it didn't impact my grade, i didn't spend any effort on it other than just making sure it was done.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • JNKirsch
(12-16-2021, 04:43 AM)jsd Wrote: The major field test is a joke. You get full credit (10% of your grade) just for completing it, regardless of your results.

It's been years since I went through it, but I don't recall it taking much time and knowing that it didn't impact my grade, i didn't spend any effort on it other than just making sure it was done.

That sounds easy enough!
Which degree you decide on, you still need the capstone. I would go for a degree that interests you more, if BA Psychology is your goal, go for it, don't let that one test hold you back. Changing to a BALS may work in the industries you are planning to gain employment in or if you plan to get into for-profit schools, but if you want to get into more recognized schools, having a Major is better than just Liberal Studies...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • JNKirsch
(12-16-2021, 01:32 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Which degree you decide on, you still need the capstone.  I would go for a degree that interests you more, if BA Psychology is your goal, go for it, don't let that one test hold you back.  Changing to a BALS may work in the industries you are planning to gain employment in or if you plan to get into for-profit schools, but if you want to get into more recognized schools, having a Major is better than just Liberal Studies...

Thanks! I appreciate it. I was thinking along those lines, just put off by the MFT. But if the 10% is just for taking the test, then it is a no brainer
You can read more about the MFT requirement on a document prepared by TESU, which also links to sample questions for each subject: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10S4D...xO66h0M_k/
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(12-16-2021, 02:52 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: You can read more about the MFT requirement on a document prepared by TESU, which also links to sample questions for each subject: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10S4D...xO66h0M_k/

Thanks for posting this. I read this previously and wasn't clear whether your score goes towards the final capstone mark or you get 10% for just taking the exam.
(12-16-2021, 03:05 PM)JNKirsch Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 02:52 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: You can read more about the MFT requirement on a document prepared by TESU, which also links to sample questions for each subject: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10S4D...xO66h0M_k/

Thanks for posting this. I read this previously and wasn't clear whether your score goes towards the final capstone mark or you get 10% for just taking the exam.

I agree that the grading section isn't particularly clear on how a mentor "translates" the score into a grade or what "broader scale" is used, but the course syllabus and the guide both say you're not expected to study for the exam or know the answer to every question.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(12-16-2021, 01:32 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Changing to a BALS may work in the industries you are planning to gain employment in or if you plan to get into for-profit schools, but if you want to get into more recognized schools, having a Major is better than just Liberal Studies...

Under what circumstance would an employer or school look at a psychology or LS degree more or less favourably than the other unless the job or degree path is specifically psychology-oriented? ...if not I can't imagine there is any difference between the two.

As well, I'm not sure how a LS degree would confine one to low-level "for-profit" graduate opportunities, because it is somehow looked down upon, when many prestigious schools themselves offer Liberal Studies graduate degrees.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ARhead's post:
  • WALLACEMC11
(12-16-2021, 04:43 AM)jsd Wrote: The major field test is a joke. You get full credit (10% of your grade) just for completing it, regardless of your results.

Agree with this. Don't be intimidated by the name "Major Field Test". As @JSD said, it's a total joke.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 461 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 433 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 449 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,268 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 249 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,184 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 228 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 509 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 357 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 295 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az