Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberty University
Has anyone completed a degree from Liberty University using CLEP/DSST? How did it go? Was transferring the credits in pretty smooth? Before I started all this TESU/CLEP stuff, I had initially thought about going through LU because my brother attended there and really liked it. But, at that time, they did not have a good IT degree plan that I liked. Now, however, upon rechecking they have a degree that I really like, their Online General Information Systems degree. I talked to 2 people at LU and they said I could transfer in 90 credits using CLEP/DSST/Straighterline. So this sounds like a really plausible idea. Just wasn't sure how other people's experiences have been.

Thanks!
Before I learned about WGU I originally was going through them for a BS in Interdisciplinary Studies with a concentration in Special Edu. Liberty will let you transfer credits in but I think the rule was you had to take 50% of your major through them. I switched due to financial reasons as well as the fact I would not be able to be licensed to teach at the end of their program (this was a game changer for me!). I decided to switch in January so I did not send the transcripts of all of the courses in my sig to them. but here is what it looked like on my unofficial transcript of what I sent then:

Test Score: CLEP
Subject Course Title Grade Credit Hours Quality Points R
ENGL 101 Composition and Rhetoric P 3.000 0.00
HIUS 221 Survey of American History I P 3.000 0.00
HIUS 222 Survey of American History II P 3.000 0.00
MATH 121 College Algebra P 3.000 0.00
BIOL 101 Principles of Biology P 3.000 0.00
BIOL 102 Principles of Human Biology P 3.000 0.00 -Biology CLEP counted for Bio 101+102
ENGL 1XX English Elective-Lower Level P 3.000 0.00 -Analyzing and Interpreting Literature would have counted as English 102 but I failed the essay portion.
PSYC 210 Developmental Psychology P 3.000 0.00

1: DSST
EDUC 200 Principles of Education P 3.000 0.00

American Council on Education
ANTH 203 World Religions P 3.000 0.00 -SL
COMS 101 Speech Communication P 3.000 0.00 -SL
GOVT 220 American Government P 3.000 0.00 -SL
HIEU 202 History of West Civilization P 3.000 0.00 -SL
MATH 128 Elem Funct & Coord Geometry P 3.000 0.00 -SL Precalculus
Current Term: 15.000 15.000 15.000 0.000 0.00 0.00

As far as transfer it was not a problem. They have nice and tidy transfer guides for their DSST,CLEP, and Excel tests. It took about a month for them to get my dsst scores and it took a couple of weeks for my SL courses to show up.
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

studyandpass5 Wrote:Has anyone completed a degree from Liberty University using CLEP/DSST? How did it go? Was transferring the credits in pretty smooth? Before I started all this TESU/CLEP stuff, I had initially thought about going through LU because my brother attended there and really liked it. But, at that time, they did not have a good IT degree plan that I liked. Now, however, upon rechecking they have a degree that I really like, their Online General Information Systems degree. I talked to 2 people at LU and they said I could transfer in 90 credits using CLEP/DSST/Straighterline. So this sounds like a really plausible idea. Just wasn't sure how other people's experiences have been.

Thanks!

you'll have to attend their online program to max out cleps, if that's not an issue for you, go for it! They are also a Straighterline partner school - you can earn a LOT of credit in advance, they also waive some of the BIBLE requirements if you transfer in a lot of credit. I looked hard at LU for my son, he was considering a business degree there. We found a better fit more specific to his career, but without question you can do it!
My 18 year old son is considering finishing his degree at Liberty University Online. However, he is enrolled at our local CC for the Fall and is continuing to collect ACE credit. They do accept ACE credit and they are very willing to answer questions via phone or email about transfer credit, I asked multiple questions while homeschooling high school about what they would accept and how it would transfer. You do have to complete 30 credits at Liberty and 50% of your major at Liberty and you need at least 30 uppper level credits, but that is built into their degrees. Overall, they have been much easier to get information from that our local CC. My son had a basketball tournament there in March, and we went on a campus visit. It is a BEAUTIFUL Campus! Good Luck!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
hsfamfun Wrote:My 18 year old son is considering finishing his degree at Liberty University Online. However, he is enrolled at our local CC for the Fall and is continuing to collect ACE credit. They do accept ACE credit and they are very willing to answer questions via phone or email about transfer credit, I asked multiple questions while homeschooling high school about what they would accept and how it would transfer. You do have to complete 30 credits at Liberty and 50% of your major at Liberty and you need at least 30 uppper level credits, but that is built into their degrees. Overall, they have been much easier to get information from that our local CC. My son had a basketball tournament there in March, and we went on a campus visit. It is a BEAUTIFUL Campus! Good Luck!

Thanks! I have found that they are very willing to help via email and live chat; they have been super helpful actually. And yes, I agree, Liberty University is a beautiful campus! We went there when my brother graduated and it was amazing!
cookderosa Wrote:you'll have to attend their online program to max out cleps, if that's not an issue for you, go for it! They are also a Straighterline partner school - you can earn a LOT of credit in advance, they also waive some of the BIBLE requirements if you transfer in a lot of credit. I looked hard at LU for my son, he was considering a business degree there. We found a better fit more specific to his career, but without question you can do it!

Thanks for the encouragement! Doing online is not an issue at all, and I'm excited to hear that they are a Straighterline partner school! I didn't know that they can waive some Bible requirements. I'll have to look into that further.
The information on waiving the classes for transfer students is listed on their new degree plans that were posted in June.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
studyandpass5 Wrote:Thanks for the encouragement! Doing online is not an issue at all, and I'm excited to hear that they are a Straighterline partner school! I didn't know that they can waive some Bible requirements. I'll have to look into that further.

Yes, the reason that's of note (IMO) is that when I do a plan, I'm not only looking at what I can transfer in, but I'm ultimately looking at what CAN'T be completed elsewhere / cheaper. Every credit you have to take at Liberty adds about $400 to the cost. They require 30 for sure ($12,000) so I'd plan to keep that 30 tight. Meaning, look at what you CAN'T transfer in or test out of. 99% of everything you can transfer in will be lower level - so there is a gap, between the lower levels gen eds and your major - that's where you have to get strategic. Since their 3 Bible core is lower level, if you can't get a waiver for 1-2 of them, you're adding to your 30. So, it's just a game of "plug the hole." LOL But you can spend hours, days, weeks, writing a plan. That's ok though, it pays a SERIOUS return on investment!!!
For every class you can do elsewhere, you're going to save about $1,200. So, it's totally worth the work!
cookderosa Wrote:Yes, the reason that's of note (IMO) is that when I do a plan, I'm not only looking at what I can transfer in, but I'm ultimately looking at what CAN'T be completed elsewhere / cheaper. Every credit you have to take at Liberty adds about $400 to the cost. They require 30 for sure ($12,000) so I'd plan to keep that 30 tight. Meaning, look at what you CAN'T transfer in or test out of. 99% of everything you can transfer in will be lower level - so there is a gap, between the lower levels gen eds and your major - that's where you have to get strategic. Since their 3 Bible core is lower level, if you can't get a waiver for 1-2 of them, you're adding to your 30. So, it's just a game of "plug the hole." LOL But you can spend hours, days, weeks, writing a plan. That's ok though, it pays a SERIOUS return on investment!!!
For every class you can do elsewhere, you're going to save about $1,200. So, it's totally worth the work!

I have never really thought about transferring credits that way: look at what you CAN'T transfer in. That's a good perspective on it. And how did you become so knowledgeable?? LOL! Seriously, though, thank you for the insight. Would you, or anyone else, happen to know of any Bible courses I can test out of? I don't think I've seen any on Straighterline; haven't checked Penn Foster yet.
I started out with Liberty; did two years with them. I probably would have graduated with them but I simply could not afford it anymore. Hence the transfer to TESU. I think cost aside, Liberty is a really good school and they have great advising and customer service...after wrestling with TESU for certain things, you start to appreciate the prompt and knowledgeable help you can get elsewhere, haha.
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,424 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 314 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,716 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,757 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 738 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,309 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,736 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 400 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 563 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,592 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff