Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible?
Hi everyone! 

I recently came across this 12 months-long online Master Degree offered by Universidad Internacional de Valencia: https://www.universidadviu.com/int/maest...generacion.

They claim that the degree is a Titulo Oficial. I was wondering if anyone has any idea if WES would consider this degree as a Graduate Diploma or a Masters? 

I understand that WES seems to be picky when it comes to providing a Masters' qualification to 1 year courses from non-prestigious Universities. I guess other ECA providers like IQAS would be more leniant? 

If anyone has any insights regarding this I would really appreciate your comments. Additionally, if anyone has any idea of a more "prestigious" Masters online degree in Psych (either Spanish, English would be fine) I would appreciate any leads.
(03-09-2023, 03:29 PM)Earind_00 Wrote: Hi everyone! 

I recently came across this 12 months-long online Master Degree offered by Universidad Internacional de Valencia: https://www.universidadviu.com/int/maest...generacion.

They claim that the degree is a Titulo Oficial. I was wondering if anyone has any idea if WES would consider this degree as a Graduate Diploma or a Masters? 

I understand that WES seems to be picky when it comes to providing a Masters' qualification to 1 year courses from non-prestigious Universities. I guess other ECA providers like IQAS would be more leniant? 

If anyone has any insights regarding this I would really appreciate your comments. Additionally, if anyone has any idea of a more "prestigious" Masters online degree in Psych (either Spanish, English would be fine) I would appreciate any leads.

On the contrary, WES Canada (not WES USA) seems to be the most liberal when it comes to recognizing Spanish degrees.  WES Canada is the only evaluator in Canada that recognizes full equivalency for ENEB Masters degrees, which are titulo propio.  IQAS, on the other hand, will not even consider titulo propio degrees.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...NEB-Isabel
(03-09-2023, 03:44 PM)smartdegree Wrote:

On the contrary, WES Canada (not WES USA) seems to be the most liberal when it comes to recognizing Spanish degrees.  WES Canada is the only evaluator in Canada that recognizes full equivalency for ENEB Masters degrees, which are titulo propio.  IQAS, on the other hand, will not even consider titulo propio degrees.

Hi, what I posted about IQAS was specific to Level 7 diplomas from the UK. I don't think IQAS has any formal policy against Titulo Propios. The only evaluator in Canada that does not evaluate Titulo Propios is ICES, by BCIT (they have a VERY long list of institutions and credentials they do not assess, and are known for this). All other evaluators in Canada do evaluate Titulo Propios, though their policies for them vary amongst eachother (i.e., ICAS will only do evaluations on Titulo propios from public universities). I don't think we've seen an IQAS result for a Titulo Propio.

The overwhelming discussion of "leniency" from any of the six evaluators has no bearing on Titulo Propios quite frankly. Almost all of the claims of leniency I've read are based on whether they consider Master's degrees from Pakistan, India and Bangaldesh as post-graduate diplomas or Master's degrees. WES doesn't, but IQAS and UofT CES does, hence the claims that IQAS and UofT CES is more lenient.

I would suggest to get a "pre-assessment" from UofT CES. You can get 3 different programs evaluated for $226 CAD before you start. This way, you can have a better understanding of the risk of credential recognition that you would be taking on by starting this degree.

https://learn.utoronto.ca/comparative-ed...onal-forms
(03-09-2023, 04:49 PM)JPN Wrote:
(03-09-2023, 03:44 PM)smartdegree Wrote:

Hi, what I posted about IQAS was specific to Level 7 diplomas from the UK. I don't think IQAS has any formal policy against Titulo Propios. The only evaluator in Canada that does not evaluate Titulo Propios is ICES, by BCIT (they have a VERY long list of institutions and credentials they do not assess, and are known for this). All other evaluators in Canada do evaluate Titulo Propios, though their policies for them vary amongst eachother (i.e., ICAS will only do evaluations on Titulo propios from public universities). I don't think we've seen an IQAS result for a Titulo Propio

You're right, I stand corrected.  I mixed up ICES and IQAS.  It's ICES that does not even accept titulo propio documents.
[-] The following 1 user Likes smartdegree's post:
  • JPN
For what it's worth though, the degree is indeed an official title.

https://www.educacion.gob.es/ruct/estudi...l=estudios

It's very likely that this will be recognized as at least a 1 year Master's degree.
This is an official/university Master's degree and is registered on the RUCT, in my opinion, it will be evaluated as equivalent to an RA degree. The Universidad Internacional de Valencia has an online program that appears to be of good quality. As far as I can tell, this program is official and equivalent to an RA degree. However, please be aware that you will need to complete a thesis. The program seems to be solid and focused on third-generation psychotherapies, from what I can see.

If I were you, I would check where you have to take the examinations. Find out whether you can take them online or if they need to be proctored in a special place.
This is a program tough for people that comes from a Spanish Psychology degree which usually is about 120 credits of psychology courses, not a major of 30-40. Expect that they will go directly to the meat and is understood you know all the necessary subjects.
Hi! I'm thinking of studing the same Masters, have you find an answer for your question?
[-] The following 1 user Likes muca3's post:
  • jb111

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 279 Yesterday, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 291 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 264 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,094 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,268 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  WES Canada recognizes ENEB/Isabel smartdegree 79 20,053 03-03-2024, 05:48 AM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,973 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 494 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone