Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little confused-Need guidance please
HI everyone,
I've been a lurker for a few weeks now. Currently attending Grand Canyon University online (live in NJ) and have some credits from Seton Hall University from like a million years ago (1992-1993).  After finding this forum, I realize there are so many better/cheaper ways to go about this (THANK YOU SO MUCH) and want to transfer my credits. I don't have a lot to transfer:

University Success - A (4 credits)
21st Century Communication and Information Literacy -  currently in, expect at least a B (4 credits)

Seton Hall (all 3 credits):
Mgmt Info Systems - B
Logic - C+
Intro to Psych - D
Principles of Sociology - C+
Principles of Economics - D
Ethics - C+

At this point in my career I just really need that piece of paper stating that I have a Bachelors. A BSBA would be super bc I'm in the Pharma industry but honestly, I'm terrified of all the math courses necessary for BSBA (financial acctng, business acctng - ack!).  This is the reason I chose Grand Canyon University because I could get a BS in Applied Mgmt and only have to take 1 college math course.

Now that I've been in this forum, I realize there are SO MANY ways to get credits, it's unbelievable! Here is where I need help, I'll take any ideas that anyone has for a degree for me but I'd like to be in a place that will take those 2 Ds that I have (if possible).

Also, within the Big 3, do they all take credits from all the same places like Straighterline, Sophia, Schmoop, Study,com, etc? 

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.  I'd really appreciate it! 

Susan
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
Quote:Also, within the Big 3, do they all take credits from all the same places like Straighterline, Sophia, Schmoop, Study,com, etc? 
For the most part: yes, EXCEPT TESU no longer takes Shmoop.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • suzycupcake
(02-26-2019, 09:07 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
Quote:Also, within the Big 3, do they all take credits from all the same places like Straighterline, Sophia, Schmoop, Study,com, etc? 
For the most part: yes, EXCEPT TESU no longer takes Shmoop.

Thank you so this is narrowing it down for me even more. I spoke to the admissions advisor today at TESU and she sounded like she just hated her job and I couldn't imagine getting much help from her.

I think I may call COSC tomorrow.  Is there a big difference between COSC and Excelsior that I might need to know?  TIA!
Started June 2022

Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
If I were you, I'd probably do COSC. They are the cheapest as well.

None of the schools are going to help you much with alternative credit - you'll have to figure that part out here.

I am not scared of math, but I didn't think accounting was very math-y at all (basic addition/subtraction for the most part in financial accounting). The only things that were math-y were actually math - stats to be precise. COSC only requires stats for the BSBA, TESU requires stats and college algebra, and EC requires stats and precalc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Clepper43, suzycupcake
(02-27-2019, 01:25 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If I were you, I'd probably do COSC.  They are the cheapest as well.

None of the schools are going to help you much with alternative credit - you'll have to figure that part out here.

I am not scared of math, but I didn't think accounting was very math-y at all (basic addition/subtraction for the most part in financial accounting).  The only things that were math-y were actually math - stats to be precise.  COSC only requires stats for the BSBA, TESU requires stats and college algebra, and EC requires stats and precalc.

Thank you so much - will call them today! I'm excited to be on this forum and am so grateful for all of you here!

Whoops, should have asked this first - is it smarter, if I know what degree program I want to do, to start accumulating credits before I enroll?
Started June 2022

(02-27-2019, 05:51 AM)suzycupcake Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 01:25 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If I were you, I'd probably do COSC.  They are the cheapest as well.

I am not scared of math, but I didn't think accounting was very math-y at all (basic addition/subtraction for the most part in financial accounting).  The only things that were math-y were actually math - stats to be precise.  COSC only requires stats for the BSBA, TESU requires stats and college algebra, and EC requires stats and precalc.

Thank you so much - will call them today! I'm excited to be on this forum and am so grateful for all of you here!

Whoops, should have asked this first - is it smarter, if I know what degree program I want to do, to start accumulating credits before I enroll?

If you go to COSC, then yes - because you have to pay a per-term fee there.  TESU doesn't have any fees to be enrolled, and EC has an annual fee.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-27-2019, 10:30 AM)dfrecore Wrote: [quote pid='282729' dateline='1551264674']
If you go to COSC, then yes - because you have to pay a per-term fee there.  TESU doesn't have any fees to be enrolled, and EC has an annual fee.

[/quote]

THANK YOU! I'll be back :Smile Appreciate your help!
Started June 2022

Also keep in mind that since TESU is a NJ state school, and that may buy you some 'local points' when it comes to job opportunities since you live in NJ.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • suzycupcake
(02-26-2019, 09:25 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: Thank you so this is narrowing it down for me even more. I spoke to the admissions advisor today at TESU and she sounded like she just hated her job and I couldn't imagine getting much help from her.

You're not going to get warm and fuzzy reception for DIYing your degree- if you flip the script, you're saying to them, hey, I know I could pay you $60,000 while I earn 120 credits, but what I'd like to do is pay you $3,000 to take 2 classes with you and do the rest elsewhere, can you help me with that?

So, here's the thing, you have to learn the policies (not hard- this board specializes in the big 3!) and then build your courses on your own. If you choose COSC, you can apply for admission and your capstone and graduation in the same month. Assuming you've planned and executed well.
thanks @cookderosa! I didn't even mention testing out of anything and she was blah. But good point for sure! I'm hoping to make some decisions soon and will be coming back to ask for more help.

I'm so grateful you guys are here and so willing to help! Thank you!
Started June 2022

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International Student seeking guidance from others SweetsugarNL 17 2,617 07-22-2019, 05:48 PM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL