Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for an MBA
Long time lurker, first time power. I graduated in October from WGU's BSIT program since it was the fastest possible degree plan for me to finish. Now, I'm gunning for an MBA. My hope, therefore, is that someone here will be willing and able to help me out.

Before starting any program, I'll be familiarizing myself with business-related topics. I've already devised a comprehensive personal study plan that is intended to ready me enough to handle any such program.

Desired Criteria:
  • First, I'm really sick and tired of proctored exams. Most online MBA programs I've found expect me to take 2-3 proctored exams per course, each exam being 2-3 hours, all on the same day. I have neither time nor the inclination to spend 6-9 hours a day, three days a semester, doing nothing but testing. Plus, mental fatigue would set in sooner or later, making my last test score far lower than the others.
  • Second, I want to avoid programs where every class involves 15-20 pages of writing per week. It's one thing to have a few papers per class, but eight week courses that all want 200 pages of writing is a bit extreme.
  • Third, I'd like to wrap this up in no more than 18 months, and preferably online or DL in some other capacity. If there's a really excellent option near me (Dallas, TX), I would definitely consider
  • Fourth, I'd like to spend under $15,000.
  • Fifth, if at all possible, I'd like to have a concentration in Strategy or Strategic Management. It may seem vain, but I can't be TheStrategist without some education in strategy. Wink
Options I've ruled out:
  • UT Permian Basin MBA Finance: Each class involves multiple proctored exams, even some proctored quizzes, all of which must be completed on the same day. I don't have 4-6 hours a day to dedicate just for testing, otherwise I'd be able to manage full-time classes.
  • Anything in the TAMU system: Some classes can be proctored, and the tests are 2-3 hours each. If taking 2-3 classes, I'd have to dedicate 6-9 hours on a dedicated testing day, which I can't (and won't) do.
  • U of I Urbana Champaign: This was a really great option, despite costing $22k. The biggest issue is that it involves 24 separate units, each with a "Capstone" assignment that requires you to work with existing businesses and takes at least two years to complete. Working with real businesses doesn't bother me, but not for 24 separate assignments.
  • Heriot Watt MBA: Despite cost being low, I'm not hot on the uber-comprehensive exam model. To wrap it up in less than two years would require me to take and pass 5 exams each year, during a two-day block, in a highly formalized setting with rigid scheduling and time blocks.
Options I'm still considering:
  • Amberton MBA Strategic Management: Despite requiring a lot of papers, this is a very affordable option that is somewhat local to me (I'm in Plano, campus is in Garland). If anyone knows how much writing each class really entails (syllabi don't really cover page counts) and is willing to share, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • WGU MBA: One proctored exam per course is perfectly fine, as are papers. Total writing load for each class is also reasonable. I scoped out the courses for this prior to finishing my BSIT.
  • Patten MBA Strategic Management: One proctored exam and one paper per course. Biggest issue with this is the for-profit model and the related stigma.
In all my years on this forum, I've never heard of MBA programs that require so much testing in a single day. That's not doable for most people - I can't even imagine 6-9 hours of testing in a week, let alone a day. What programs are requiring this, and how did you find out that this is how it works??
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Amberton would be described by many as: 'Every class involves 15-20 pages of writing per week' - so this might not be an option you should walk into.

WGU would be an excellent choice for cost and structure. There are plenty of reviews and support within the forum.

Patten is another strong selection for cost and structure. There are not very many that have completed the program but for those that have in 1 -2 terms and even 3 terms are getting an MBA at a great price

Additional schools that align with your criteria would be Eastern New Mexico University & Hodges University
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
[-] The following 1 user Likes RANSOMSOUL's post:
  • Yenisei
(12-13-2017, 12:37 AM)RANSOMSOUL Wrote: Amberton would be described by many as: 'Every class involves 15-20 pages of writing per week' - so this might not be an option you should walk into.

WGU would be an excellent choice for cost and structure. There are plenty of reviews and support within the forum.

Patten is another strong selection for cost and structure. There are not very many that have completed the program but for those that have in 1 -2 terms and even 3 terms are getting an MBA at a great price

Additional schools that align with your criteria would be Eastern New Mexico University & Hodges University

I second this.

I did a little research about ENMU.  The person in charge there was very helpful.  They are willing to work with you if you don't have the required pre-reqs (allowing you to take a free test-out exam to meet the requirements if you haven't yet).  They do require a 3.0 GPA, but it's overall.

The price is $286.25/cr if you take 6 or fewer credits per semester (and 3cr in the summer), so it would take a full 2 years to finish the program.

-----------------

You may also want to look at APU.  I'm not sure how the papers/exams portion works, but I do like that they have 8-week terms in addition to 16-week terms, both which start on the first Monday of each month, rather than a semester-based system, or a competency-based system.  $350/cr.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-13-2017, 12:37 AM)RANSOMSOUL Wrote: Amberton would be described by many as: 'Every class involves 15-20 pages of writing per week' - so this might not be an option you should walk into.

ENMU looks great!

(12-13-2017, 12:27 AM)dfrecore Wrote: In all my years on this forum, I've never heard of MBA programs that require so much testing in a single day.  That's not doable for most people - I can't even imagine 6-9 hours of testing in a week, let alone a day.  What programs are requiring this, and how did you find out that this is how it works??

I didn't believe either, at first. When looking at some of the TAMU System MBA programs, I found the syllabi for the first 3 courses I would need, each syllabus stated that the midterm and final were proctored, 90-180 minutes (it varied), and stated a specific date each exam had to be taken on. That date coincidentally matched up between all three classes.
Some people don't like other aspects of Patten. Definitely search for threads on them, such as the one I posted in about WGU and Patten (and Hodges). One plus of Patten is you can choose from many good concentrations.

(12-12-2017, 08:50 PM)TheStrategist Wrote: Long time lurker, first time power. I graduated in October from WGU's BSIT program since it was the fastest possible degree plan for me to finish. Now, I'm gunning for an MBA. My hope, therefore, is that someone here will be willing and able to help me out.

Before starting any program, I'll be familiarizing myself with business-related topics. I've already devised a comprehensive personal study plan that is intended to ready me enough to handle any such program.

Desired Criteria:
  • First, I'm really sick and tired of proctored exams. Most online MBA programs I've found expect me to take 2-3 proctored exams per course, each exam being 2-3 hours, all on the same day. I have neither time nor the inclination to spend 6-9 hours a day, three days a semester, doing nothing but testing. Plus, mental fatigue would set in sooner or later, making my last test score far lower than the others.
  • Second, I want to avoid programs where every class involves 15-20 pages of writing per week. It's one thing to have a few papers per class, but eight week courses that all want 200 pages of writing is a bit extreme.
  • Third, I'd like to wrap this up in no more than 18 months, and preferably online or DL in some other capacity. If there's a really excellent option near me (Dallas, TX), I would definitely consider
  • Fourth, I'd like to spend under $15,000.
  • Fifth, if at all possible, I'd like to have a concentration in Strategy or Strategic Management. It may seem vain, but I can't be TheStrategist without some education in strategy. Wink
Options I've ruled out:
  • UT Permian Basin MBA Finance: Each class involves multiple proctored exams, even some proctored quizzes, all of which must be completed on the same day. I don't have 4-6 hours a day to dedicate just for testing, otherwise I'd be able to manage full-time classes.
  • Anything in the TAMU system: Some classes can be proctored, and the tests are 2-3 hours each. If taking 2-3 classes, I'd have to dedicate 6-9 hours on a dedicated testing day, which I can't (and won't) do.
  • U of I Urbana Champaign: This was a really great option, despite costing $22k. The biggest issue is that it involves 24 separate units, each with a "Capstone" assignment that requires you to work with existing businesses and takes at least two years to complete. Working with real businesses doesn't bother me, but not for 24 separate assignments.
  • Heriot Watt MBA: Despite cost being low, I'm not hot on the uber-comprehensive exam model. To wrap it up in less than two years would require me to take and pass 5 exams each year, during a two-day block, in a highly formalized setting with rigid scheduling and time blocks.
Options I'm still considering:
  • Amberton MBA Strategic Management: Despite requiring a lot of papers, this is a very affordable option that is somewhat local to me (I'm in Plano, campus is in Garland). If anyone knows how much writing each class really entails (syllabi don't really cover page counts) and is willing to share, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • WGU MBA: One proctored exam per course is perfectly fine, as are papers. Total writing load for each class is also reasonable. I scoped out the courses for this prior to finishing my BSIT.
  • Patten MBA Strategic Management: One proctored exam and one paper per course. Biggest issue with this is the for-profit model and the related stigma.

My husband is in his last MBA semester at Johnson and Wales University. He's doing it online though he also is on faculty there. He didn't do the 18 month option, he only took 1 class at a time, so 36 months. No GMAT/entrance exam.
His MBA is cake. So far ZERO proctored exams. No thesis (just capstone which he's doing now). Minimal writing. Lot's of team projects- way too many for my taste, but group powerpoints in every class, lots of discussion forum, lots of short writing assignments/case studies. (His concentration is in the same field as his undergrad degree, so he didn't have to fill in the gaps ahead of time.)
This program doesn't meet your budget request, however, I'm sharing because it's the opposite of the things you're frustrated by. Wink
I like the concentration options at JWUOnline - especially the MBA in Organizational Psychology.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
Hi,

I guess this is all moot without a career goal. Will WGU or Patten be good enough "brand" names for your field? There are certain fields that demand a state or well-known name to make it worthwhile. Perhaps, this is not a concern for your field or career path. I always say figure out what you need and then reverse engineer it back. Can you use your current work to make U of Illinois work? A bit longer and more cost, but such a great national name that will only help you. I sometimes think WGU could hurt in some circles but that is only an opinion I formulated from working with bigger companies where everyone has a degree from a school where their football team plays on Saturday. Not saying I agree but corporate hierarchy or consulting is a name game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cardiacclep's post:
  • Thorne