Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Low Cost / Free online Masters programs from Germany
[quote pid='362652' dateline='1648599120']

This is very helpful. Thank you for sharing it with us. 

How can you tell if the course is NC or non-NC? I've looked everywhere on the program information for the Brandenburg World Heritage Studies program and I don't see those terms used in any of the information about the program (I also downloaded the PDF version to do searches for those terms and no luck finding them). 

I am seriously considering the UMPI BA in History program and hope to transfer credits from my prior degree (Bachelor of Science from a traditional Canadian university) but I will decline UMPI's offers for PLA.
[/quote]

Wait! I think I may have found this information ...I kept digging :-)

It says this in their FAQ:

Q. What is the GPA or numerous clausus ("NC") required for admission to this program?

A:  There is no fixed GPA or NC required for admission to this study programme. All applications are assessed individually to ensure that applicants meet the academic requirements necessary to succeed in the study programme. This assessment looks not only at the degree and the grades, but at the entire application (incl. letter of motivation, CV, letters of reference, etc.).

I also checked the Anabin database and my prior university/degree and UMPI are both H+.  Yay! At least those things won't be obstacles when the time comes to apply. 
  • Degree in Progress: BA in Psychology and/or History (in planning)
  • Complete: University of New Brunswick (Canada)  |  BSc Marine Biology (Grad 1998)
(03-29-2022, 07:12 PM)StudiousTraveller Wrote: [quote pid='362652' dateline='1648599120']

This is very helpful. Thank you for sharing it with us. 

How can you tell if the course is NC or non-NC? I've looked everywhere on the program information for the Brandenburg World Heritage Studies program and I don't see those terms used in any of the information about the program (I also downloaded the PDF version to do searches for those terms and no luck finding them). 

I am seriously considering the UMPI BA in History program and hope to transfer credits from my prior degree (Bachelor of Science from a traditional Canadian university) but I will decline UMPI's offers for PLA.

Quote:Wait! I think I may have found this information ...I kept digging :-)

It says this in their FAQ:

Q. What is the GPA or numerous clausus ("NC") required for admission to this program?

A:  There is no fixed GPA or NC required for admission to this study programme. All applications are assessed individually to ensure that applicants meet the academic requirements necessary to succeed in the study programme. This assessment looks not only at the degree and the grades, but at the entire application (incl. letter of motivation, CV, letters of reference, etc.).

I also checked the Anabin database and my prior university/degree and UMPI are both H+.  Yay! At least those things won't be obstacles when the time comes to apply. 

If there is no NC, then you just have to be qualified. The NC is an admissions cap - if there is no NC, they can admit as many qualified students who wish to attend. The purpose of a university is not to exclude people. So the barrier in your case is simply to demonstrate you meet these requirements.

Since UMPI is H+, the history degree will tick the "prior related degree" box. YourPace has a minimum of a 3.0 by design, so you will also de facto have sufficient grades.

Generally, the CV and letters are used to help people qualify who otherwise would not. Like maybe their bachelor was in a science, but they spent the last five years working in a museum, and they have a great personal interest in the subject. These aspects of the application help to fill in "gaps".

The only thing I can see them being worried about, in terms of whether you specifically are qualified, is that UMPI has no thesis option for the history degree. A bachelor thesis is required in Germany (you even put the title of your thesis on your CV next to your GPA!), and this is a research-oriented masters. So they are expecting you to know how to do research.

Not having this experience won't exclude you, but you should highlight any research experience etc. you do have in your CV, and mention your research interests in your motivation letter. This is the "gap" you should aim to address.

Do you plan to finish at UMPI in time for the application deadline this coming August? Or will you apply next year?

--
As an aside, this is how I would address the research gap: ask whether you are able to take "POS 493: Political Science Capstone Seminar" as an extra class. It is from the politics concentration, rather than the history one. It is only 1 credit. It is a seminar rather than a full thesis or even a capstone, but it is better than nothing and gives you something to write about in your motivation letter. To the extent that it is possible, pick a topic relating to history and politics. Heck, if you're doing this specifically to qualify for that masters, go ham and pick a topic related to conservation and politics.
[-] The following 4 users Like sarahmac's post:
  • MrPanda, Pikachu, rachel83az, StudiousTraveller
For UMPI, I know one student is currently doing a 6-credit research project that isn't in the catalog. Maybe contact Jessica after enrollment and see if there is anything like that for you to do.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
@sarahmac - This sounds encouraging to me and I really appreciate all these extra details and suggestions.

Perhaps my "Independent Studies" course from my BSc would be helpful. It was a whole year research project that I did independently (as the name suggests) with the guidance of an academic advisor. It was about whales (because I was in Marine Biology), but the research and writing skills would possibly help me meet those criteria for admission. I also earned an A on it so I will definitely be sure to highlight this on my application!

No, I won't be finished UMPI in time to apply for this program in August. I'm going to take my time with the BA and enjoy that learning and then my goal will be to apply for the Masters program in August 2023 (or possibly 2024).

@sarahmac and @rachel83az
Thank you for these suggestions for research projects. I will also consider taking these to strengthen my application.
  • Complete: University of New Brunswick (Canada)  |  BSc Marine Biology (Grad 1998)
[-] The following 1 user Likes StudiousTraveller's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(03-30-2022, 08:46 AM)StudiousTraveller Wrote: Perhaps my "Independent Studies" course from my BSc would be helpful. It was a whole year research project that I did independently (as the name suggests) with the guidance of an academic advisor. It was about whales (because I was in Marine Biology), but the research and writing skills would possibly help me meet those criteria for admission. I also earned an A on it so I will definitely be sure to highlight this on my application!

You can connect conservation and stewardship of environmental heritage with conservation and stewardship of cultural heritage!

It comes to mind that in our home country Canada, the federal Department of Canadian Heritage is responsible for arts and culture, museums, historic sites, and also national parks including national marine conservation areas. They're seen as part of the same mission.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • StudiousTraveller
(03-29-2022, 07:12 PM)StudiousTraveller Wrote: I also checked the Anabin database and my prior university/degree and UMPI are both H+.  Yay! At least those things won't be obstacles when the time comes to apply.

If your current degree works, why not apply for the program now?
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(03-30-2022, 08:46 AM)StudiousTraveller Wrote: @sarahmac - This sounds encouraging to me and I really appreciate all these extra details and suggestions.

Perhaps my "Independent Studies" course from my BSc would be helpful. It was a whole year research project that I did independently (as the name suggests) with the guidance of an academic advisor. It was about whales (because I was in Marine Biology), but the research and writing skills would possibly help me meet those criteria for admission. I also earned an A on it so I will definitely be sure to highlight this on my application!

No, I won't be finished UMPI in time to apply for this program in August. I'm going to take my time with the BA and enjoy that learning and then my goal will be to apply for the Masters program in August 2023 (or possibly 2024).

@sarahmac and @rachel83az
Thank you for these suggestions for research projects. I will also consider taking these to strengthen my application.

This course is already perfect. That is exactly how a bachelor thesis works in Germany, and you should include the title of this project on your CV under the name of your degree (look for examples of German CVs online to see expected layout). The grade for the thesis is normally included next to the thesis title, in your case "Grade: A (equiv. 1)". 1 = A in Germany.

"the research and writing skills would possibly help me meet those criteria for admission" - yes absolutely. The course website for that master already includes environmental and conservation type degrees as suitable for admission. World Heritage includes the natural environment.

If you want to reorient toward the history dimension of heritage studies that is of course up to you! But your previous study and research experience will also have given you a nice background. If your interests now are separate to your previous education, focus on your latest interests and research interests when writing your letter of motivation. On the other hand, if they are connected, like the history of conservation and environmental stewardship, this is also something you can highlight.

I think you will be rated as qualified though. There is nothing to suggest a lack in your application. Non-NC courses really just care if you can tick the qualification boxes, it is not like the US where you have to compete for admission at top universities. This is only the case with NC courses. The competition is in finishing the degree and graduating (it is common for two-thirds of a cohort to vanish in the first few semesters at undergrad ^^').
[-] The following 3 users Like sarahmac's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az, StudiousTraveller
@Jonathan Whatley - I hadn't really thought about it from that angle, but that's a great idea. I'm going to do some research in that area.

@carrythenothing - I would prefer to do the BA in History first and get back into studying again. It's been many years since my BSc and I want to set myself up for the best chance of success with an MA program.

@sarahmac - Excellent! That is great news that course is the type of course they will be looking for. I will definitely include the title on my CV. Great tip to research German CVs to see the expected layout. I will definitely do this.
Yes finishing the degree can be a challenge for sure and I want to make sure I'm ready for that challenge! :-)
[-] The following 3 users Like StudiousTraveller's post:
  • carrythenothing, Jonathan Whatley, rachel83az
Did anyone from here end up applying? If so, can you walk through that process?
Current Degree Programs:
MA in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - GSU - May 2025
Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

Hello,
I want to give you some information.
I tried to apply to the master program in WHS
The process is very simple and fast, you need to apply via uni-assist.
You just need to upload all the documents to the uni-assist portal, no physical documents needed.
I use my bachelor diploma from Indonesia.
I already get letter of offer for the upcoming semester.
If someone need help or want to ask anything related to the admission process to WHS, you can send me a message and I will try to answer it.
[-] The following 2 users Like kumamon's post:
  • jch, JPN

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Graduate Statistics course Stonybeach 13 335 04-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 32 19,007 04-25-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ENEB to UK top up masters possible? Atoshi 1 203 04-23-2024, 11:21 AM
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 12 666 04-19-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 345 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 774 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 522 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  SMC name change to Signum Magnum College - Free MBA?! bjcheung77 6 716 04-03-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 376 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 659 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado