Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MBA versus Law school: thoughts?
I've seen too many of "this major versus that major" threads to think that there could be a straight answer to this that doesn't involve "what interests you more?" or something along those lines. So I'm just after comments and thoughts here. Let's assume for argument's sake that I am equally interested and possess sufficient aptitude (debatable...:o ) for either a MBA or a graduate law degree. What does the board think about these options? I think I would enjoy doing both, with the biggest difference is that the law school is on the opposite end of the state at University of Idaho which means I would have to move again. If I went with the MBA, I could stay here in Boise. I think either one would be applicable to the vague cloud of possible professions I am envisioning, although I am tempted into thinking that the law degree might be more useful.

Thoughts, comments, or opinions?
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
JanusthePhoenix Wrote:I've seen too many of "this major versus that major" threads to think that there could be a straight answer to this that doesn't involve "what interests you more?" or something along those lines. So I'm just after comments and thoughts here. Let's assume for argument's sake that I am equally interested and possess sufficient aptitude (debatable...:o ) for either a MBA or a graduate law degree. What does the board think about these options? I think I would enjoy doing both, with the biggest difference is that the law school is on the opposite end of the state at University of Idaho which means I would have to move again. If I went with the MBA, I could stay here in Boise. I think either one would be applicable to the vague cloud of possible professions I am envisioning, although I am tempted into thinking that the law degree might be more useful.

Thoughts, comments, or opinions?

Since you like to debating I would say law. :o
Not only law for that reason but because law if you choose to do business you know law inside and out and im sure a business would want that. But why would you want to? Dont lawyers make like 120k in private practice and like 70k in firms?
I would say law. If i had the age to play with that option I would venture into law. Theres nothing like going into a court room and shutting them down because you were more prepared and on point.
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
nj593 Wrote:Since you like to debating I would say law. :o
Not only law for that reason but because law if you choose to do business you know law inside and out and im sure a business would want that. But why would you want to? Dont lawyers make like 120k in private practice and like 70k in firms?
I would say law. If i had the age to play with that option I would venture into law. Theres nothing like going into a court room and shutting them down because you were more prepared and on point.
>>

I say law because I'm turning 40. I would have told you to follow your heart if I were 20. I think your question is less about "should you follow your dreams of rainbows and puppies and saving the world or earn a living" (which is a tough call) Your choices are both reasonable, and I think there is a measurable difference between the two paths.

Seriously though, MBA is generalized, so unless you're attending a top program you are unlikely to get any job security in a specific targeted way. Both my husband's brothers have MBAs and are in their late 40's. Both had "jobs" not careers. One brother left the job to open his own business, and is doing well. Now their cousin, same age, went to Wharton - he is the CEO of a large company. These are just 3 people in my world, but my point is, that you'll still be the one who has to make things happen for yourself. For some that sounds exciting, I'm too old for that, so I vote law school.

If you get the degree and pass the bar, you ARE a lawyer. Very targeted, very specific, very secure. Even if you attend a bottom tier school, you will be credentialed. Of course, a top tier school can get you into a firm, but that's a question for another day.
I guess different perspectives come from different parts of this country. I have worked in the legal field as a legal assistant and paralegal in the past and am married to a brilliant attorney who never did anything but work for others at salaries that never exceeded $50,000 practicing in real estate and family (wills, estates, etc.) law. Living in Florida, things are not what they may seem on the surface. As stated above, it is ultimately up to you and your drive and not all of us have the amount that is necessary to excell -- in any position. He started later in life after having first followed his dreams of trying to play pro golf. This delay was definitely a hindrance and other attorneys held it against him, as he had not "made it" by a certain age.

Our biggest problem here in Florida. is that almost every college churns out people with legal degrees, they pass the bar exam, but cannot always find jobs where they can get actual experience. They are actually creating more attorneys than there is need. Only a few will be hired to work in the larger firms and then they will be expected to work and bill for 80 hours or more a week. Like others have said, I'm too old to consider that possibility -- both physically tired and tired of the internal politics of any organization.

If you are young enough, first research the need for attorneys in your part of the country. Then, for those who are willing to work hard enough, many and probably most attorneys DO make in excess of $100,000 a year.

There is the possibility of having both degrees, if you have that much time, money, and drive. Then you will certainly have the edge on the others, regardless of which path you choose to follow.
It's a long haul, but this dual degree looks good and might even be conveniently located.

Phillip
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Management 77[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Sociology 74[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Marketing 78[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Psychology 80 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro Business Law 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 73[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP A & I Lit 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Financial Accounting 62[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Ethics in America 468[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST MIS 482[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Natural Science 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Org Behavior 80[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Finance 462[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Next: ALEKS Jail (College Algebra) Going dark to finish[/SIZE]
I would go with getting your J.D.
In terms of bang for your buck Law school is going to win out over an MBA in the long run. I've had this debate myself and decided that if I do go to grad school Law school is where I'll go. I'm kinda already inclined towards law since I was in High school Policy Debate and made it to the National Championship last year Big Grin

The biggest obstacle is the LSAT which is a beast. I went and got the Kaplan LSAT prep book and started looking over it and it's pretty intimidating. It's not about info recall like a GMAT it's all about interpreting data that's thrown at you. Just another test to conquer though :p

Anything to go through 3 years of hell to become the devil.

I actually found an LSAT prep program on the web by a guy and it looks pretty dang good! If you want me to send you more info on it PM me.

Good Luck with whatever path you choose!
-JD
[SIZE="1"]
BSBA Gen'l Management-TESC

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]
CLEP's Completed:
Western Civ I&II-62,58 respectively
US History I&II-both 65
Freshman Comp-65
Natural Sciences-51:confused:
Humanities-62
Macro&Micro Eco-66,68 respectively
Social Sciences and History-54
Principles of Marketing-66
American Gov't-61
Intro to Psych-68
Human Growth & Development-63
A&IL-70
P of Management-63
English Comp w/essay-62:hurray:
BizLaw-67

DSST's completed: P of Supervision-452, Orgz'l Behavior-73, HRM-60, Intro to Business-449, Intro to comp'ing-429, MIS-446, M&B-59, P of Finance-427, P of Financial Accounting-64, BizLaw2- 68, Biz Ethics-

ALEK's courses completed:
Pre-calculus
Introduction to Statistics

TECEP's:
Public Relations Thought & Practice
Ops Management
Biz Policy

TESC Courses:
Managerial *Comm*-A
[/SIZE]

Hours so far = [SIZE="4"]123[/SIZE]
Thanks everyone, for your input, and hilarious at nj593. My brain is beginning to hurt thinking about all this...:p

Here are some issues I have found: Firstly, if I chose the J.D. option there is a good chance I wouldn't be able to start until fall 2011. :eek: The deadline for the application is Feb 15th, and while they do accept February LSAT scores they make a point of not liking to do so. That, and my undergrad degree might not even be conferred until Feb. If I don't start until 2011, that puts me in school for 3 years and getting out at 27...I don't know how much I like the idea of not being employed again until I am nearly in my thirties. Rolleyes You all make very valid points about the merits of having a J.D. though, so I am conflicted.

The MBA can be done in roughly half the time, AND I can start next fall as long as my GMAT is sufficient (I need at least 700)...decisions, decisions. Maybe I should take the GMAT now, and if I biff that I can take the LSAT which I think I am more confident about knowing that it doesn't involve math. If I score high enough on the LSAT, all that's left to do is find something to do with myself for about a year...

Just thinking out loud, since that is what this thread is for anyway.
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
15%Luck Wrote:I would go with getting your J.D.
In terms of bang for your buck Law school is going to win out over an MBA in the long run. I've had this debate myself and decided that if I do go to grad school Law school is where I'll go. I'm kinda already inclined towards law since I was in High school Policy Debate and made it to the National Championship last year Big Grin

The biggest obstacle is the LSAT which is a beast. I went and got the Kaplan LSAT prep book and started looking over it and it's pretty intimidating. It's not about info recall like a GMAT it's all about interpreting data that's thrown at you. Just another test to conquer though :p

Anything to go through 3 years of hell to become the devil.

I actually found an LSAT prep program on the web by a guy and it looks pretty dang good! If you want me to send you more info on it PM me.

Good Luck with whatever path you choose!
-JD

Just post the link! hilarious

I have to agree with the others about the JD. I'm in my early thirties and I'm all but decided on going to law school. Maybe for me the difference is that I've been in law enforcement for 13 years but either way I feel confident that even at my age I'll do fine. My resume should speak for itself. Good luck with whatever you decide! Big Grin
I think I'm going to go with the rainbows and puppies response and say that you should follow your heart. I know many thirty-something ex-lawyers that loved law school and the idea of being a lawyer, but did not love the profession itself. I think either degree will open doors for you, but only you can really decide what sort of work and lifestyle will suit you in the long run.
[COLOR="Navy"]BS Liberal Arts
Excelsior College

MS Psychology
California Coast University[/color]
I'll be the odd one out and say neither!

Ever thought about a medical profession? With the pending legislation, the medical field could have a boom and now may be a great time to start a program. Maybe a MD, RN, or NP?
M.S. University of Wisconsin-Platteville In Progress
M.S. University of Maryland University College 2011
B.S. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale 2008

CLEP's passed:
College Mathematics
English Composition (w/o essay)
Information Systems and Computer Applications
Natural Sciences
Social Sciences and History

DSST's passed:
Ethics in America

General Anthropology

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 681 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,755 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 251 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 681 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 346 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 462 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 270 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,156 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 4,717 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
  High School online from the UK | 9 months, A Levels equivalent in the US elcastor21 7 696 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: elcastor21