Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math classes that are below calculus?
I have credit for the AP Calculus AB. I know that schools usually won't let someone take an easier course after a harder course. Does this apply to my AP exam credit too? i.e. I can't take most of the math classes at Shmoop or Aleks?

And how do I know what counts as a lower course? Some are obvious, but others I'm wondering about, like Trigonometry.

But, I am not too excited for a harder math class anyway. I also personally find Statistics hard. I am trying to do it through Aleks.

Ideas Wrote:I have credit for the AP Calculus AB. I know that schools usually won't let someone take an easier course after a harder course. Does this apply to my AP exam credit too? i.e. I can't take most of the math classes at Shmoop or Aleks?

And how do I know what counts as a lower course? Some are obvious, but others I'm wondering about, like Trigonometry.

But, I am not too excited for a harder math class anyway. I also personally find Statistics hard. I am trying to do it through Aleks.

SOME schools won't let you go back "down" in maths, but that's a tiny percentage of schools. If you're looking at ALEKS and Shmoop, you're looking at colleges that accept ACE credit, and in that case, none of them care. If you're looking at prestigious schools, then no, you probably won't get to use College Algebra, but it doesn't matter because they won't accept ACE credit anyway. (ALEKS is set to expire tomorrow- double check for their renewal before pursuing)

Basic Sequence
College Math (CLEP) / Math for Liberal Arts (DSST)
Intermediate Algebra (ALEKS)
College Algebra (ALEKS, CLEP)
Trig / PreCalc / College Algebra with PreCalc (various)
Calculus AB/BC (Advanced Placement, CLEP)

Also at any level: Statistics (Advanced Placement, DSST)

IF it were me AND I had Calc credit, you bet without question I'd go back and get EVER. SINGLE. MATH. available to me. Low hanging fruit!
cookderosa Wrote:Basic Sequence
College Math (CLEP) / Math for Liberal Arts (DSST)
Intermediate Algebra (ALEKS)
College Algebra (ALEKS, CLEP)
Trig / PreCalc / College Algebra with PreCalc (various)
Calculus AB/BC (Advanced Placement, CLEP)

Also at any level: Statistics (Advanced Placement, DSST)

IF it were me AND I had Calc credit, you bet without question I'd go back and get EVER. SINGLE. MATH. available to me. Low hanging fruit!

I agree, if you have a lot of open space on your degree plan (Gen Ed electives and free electives).

I would sign up for ALEKS today and take Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, & Precalc if you could finish them all before tomorrow at midnight. Seriously. Add Stats to that as well. (Note-Beginning Algebra is not accepted at TESU, but it is at COSC).

Here are some options that I can think of off the top of my head that will work at TESU (their course equiv.'s are here):

MAT-102/103 College Math - CLEP (6cr)
MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Math - TECEP
MAT-110 Finite Math - Shmoop (not sure if this is the course number)
MAT-119 Math for Business - Davar OR Quantitative Literacy - Study.com
MAT-260 Geometry - Study.com or Shmoop (not sure if this is the course number at Shmoop)
MAT-361 College Geometry - SecularCourses.com (Coopersmith) - not 100% sure if this is the course number
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I did the AP psychology for Excelsior (way back when it was a thing)
and afterwards they wouldn't accept CLEP Educational Psychology because they said it duplicated what was on the AP

I would be hugely shocked if anybody gave you credit for Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, & Precalc after passing the AP calc

so I think you should double check with your school
bluebooger Wrote:I did the AP psychology for Excelsior (way back when it was a thing)
and afterwards they wouldn't accept CLEP Educational Psychology because they said it duplicated what was on the AP

I would be hugely shocked if anybody gave you credit for Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, & Precalc after passing the AP calc

so I think you should double check with your school

I was assuming the Big 3 here, not just any school.

I agree, if it's not one of the Big 3, then check first.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
cookderosa Wrote:IF it were me AND I had Calc credit, you bet without question I'd go back and get EVER. SINGLE. MATH. available to me. Low hanging fruit!

Thank you. Please see my questions below.

dfrecore Wrote:I would sign up for ALEKS today and take Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, & Precalc if you could finish them all before tomorrow at midnight. Seriously. Add Stats to that as well

Thank you.

Can you tell me if this "waters down" my transcript? I mean, if a grad school saw these classes, wouldn't they believe I was scared of taking the more advanced math classes? Or they would see that my calculus credit was so old, and then I started up with Beginning Algebra? I may still follow some kind of hard science path where they look that. I feel they would look at it in other paths too.

If I ended up not needing the math credits, would they be left off my transcript?

I am not sure yet if I'll do a Big 3 school, but I do want to grab these very cheap credits. I've already paid for Aleks too.

Take ALEKS tonight for precalc, college algebra, and intermediate algebra with a helper like mathway. It won't take you long. Piece of cake.

If you enroll in TESU, your easy TECEP is Applied Liberal Arts Math. Guaranteed pass. No studying necessary.

Math will fill in a lot of GE spots and free electives if you still have room. If you need Calc AB in your major, it won't be available anymore for GE.

Credits on a TESU transcript from ACE/CLEP/DSST/AP are not dated. Only actual TESU courses and TECEPs are dated. Nobody will know if you took ALEKS intermediate algebra tonight or 20 years ago. Just do it.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:Nobody will know if you took ALEKS intermediate algebra tonight or 20 years ago. Just do it.

Great. Thanks! I will definitely do Intermediate/College/Precalc and hopefully I can also fit in Trig Smile

Do you think I should skip Beginning Algebra because of the "watering down" effect? I believe I already have many elective credits. Apparently TESU does not take Beginning Algebra and COSC does. I'm not sure if my goal is TESU, COSC, or a different school yet.

Do elementary algebra last. Precalc and trig will duplicate at TESU. So choose whichever one seems easier to you.

TESU won't take elementary algebra. They will put it down as developmental in your eval. On your transcript, it won't show up at all. On the day you graduate, your eval is thrown away as well and no longer accessible. So any record of elementary algebra will be lost from TESU.

Although some disagree with me, IMHO it's safe to switch between ALEKS courses without waiting to get ACE credit. ALEKS will save your score in previous courses even though it tells you your progress will be lost once you switch. Finish each initial assessment with 70+%. Then switch. Take next course's initial assessment with 70+%. Rinse and repeat.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:Although some disagree with me, IMHO it's safe to switch between ALEKS courses without waiting to get ACE credit.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 584 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Calculus 3 - Need A Source dharmastudios 21 3,831 03-08-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 379 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,311 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 1,023 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,123 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,223 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  RA math option? Insert Name 7 968 02-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Is It Worth the Money to Get a College Degree? Lets Do the Math and Find Out! LevelUP 20 2,072 02-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 669 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77