Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mature student seeks help with college credit/bypassing courses. Psychology oriented.
(09-23-2023, 05:50 AM)Cyath Wrote: Thanks for all the detailed replies. I was away for a while and that's why I didn't reply.

>For a bachelor's, if alt credit is available, it is generally faster, easier and cheaper than the equivalent PLA process.

By alt credit you mean CLEP and similar?

Yes, I am shooting for a BA in Psych, I already have the Associate's.

Cost is a factor, so I would be looking to take as few courses as I needed to do as possible.

I guess I could try scholarships for the Masters, but I suppose that is beyond the scope of this forum?
Scholarships for masters degrees are very rare for obvious reasons. They except for certain populations like veterans etc but once you get your BA and BS, all those grants and scholarships dry up.

I’d quit the life experience avenue approach. As someone else said CBE classes like UMPI for psych are your best bet. If you truly know the material you can breeze through. Most places aren’t just going to hand you credits for “life experience”. PLA credits usually require in depth portfolios anyways.
Was away again, thanks for the replies.

I have actually been told that funding is easier to get at the MA and beyond level, not at the BA. There's a lot of conflicting information so I am confused.

I'm 70 credits in, so would it be possible to get the last 50 completely using alt credits? I've already studied for about 30+ worth of CLEP credits, so that's my first choice.

Also been asking around and it seems this process doesn't work for universities in different countries?

6k for an MA is within my budget. Smile
(10-16-2023, 10:46 PM)Cyath Wrote: Was away again, thanks for the replies.

I have actually been told that funding is easier to get at the MA and beyond level, not at the BA. There's a lot of conflicting information so I am confused.

I'm 70 credits in, so would it be possible to get the last 50 completely using alt credits? I've already studied for about 30+ worth of CLEP credits, so that's my first choice.

Also been asking around and it seems this process doesn't work for universities in different countries?

What funding? If you mean loans, then yes otherwise see below:

No funding is not easy, especially for an online accelerated program like you are looking for. Most funding goes to research-oriented PhDs. SOME masters do get funded but these are rarer and will most certainly not be online programs.

Most foreign schools do not take ACE or CLEP (there are a couple exceptions for CLEP).

No,  as someone who did a MA program in the UK you will 100% be footing the bill and starting from scratch.

For your MA, expect to pay cash or take out loans.

https://kairos.edu/academics/programs/ma...ounseling/ is an option but its limited to a few states for licensure. There other a couple other options but I didnt look in depth
(10-17-2023, 12:17 AM)Duneranger Wrote: https://kairos.edu/academics/programs/ma...ounseling/ is an option but its limited to a few states for licensure.

Kairos' MA in Marriage and Family Therapy might be a better bet for multi-state licensure than their MA in Counseling, as it holds specialized accreditation (COAMFTE) while their MAC does not.
(10-17-2023, 05:46 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(10-17-2023, 12:17 AM)Duneranger Wrote: https://kairos.edu/academics/programs/ma...ounseling/ is an option but its limited to a few states for licensure.

Kairos' MA in Marriage and Family Therapy might be a better bet for multi-state licensure than their MA in Counseling, as it holds specialized accreditation (COAMFTE) while their MAC does not.
This is true, but I know a lot of people who specifically want counseling or something similar. OP didn’t state he was open to either but something to look into.

Either way, online schools (especially cheap ones)that require a practicum are usually a nightmare as I have personally taught students in this situation.

100% OP is going to have to ask clinics or offices himself for hours. It’s a common misconception that these things get set up. People fail to realize that a school in California is going to have little to no influence or incentive in finding clinical sites in western NC. Schools that only say they “help or assist”, are essentially saying you are on your own.

I have seen people complete most of a degree program and then drop out because they can’t get clinicals.

(10-16-2023, 10:46 PM)Cyath Wrote: Was away again, thanks for the replies.

Also generally no, your last credits are almost always going to be major related and UL at the university of your choice.

I’m genuinely confused at what you are trying to do here. Find a program listed on this site and stick to a plan.
Focus on your Bachelors first (your main focus is completing this as the first goal), while working on it, decide on the Masters to pursue, then create an action plan for the Masters. Again, you need the Bachelors before you move to the Masters, you don't need to have a specific Bachelors unless the Masters indicates to do so, you just need the prerequisites for the Masters. So, quickly do the UMPI BA Psych, or if you want, the BLS with Psych and another minor.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I should clarify that I am an international student and prefer online colleges. Thanks for all the advice so far.

I haven't been checking online recently as I have a difficult living situation to resolve first.
(11-09-2023, 05:42 AM)Cyath Wrote: I should clarify that I am an international student and prefer online colleges. Thanks for all the advice so far.

I haven't been checking online recently as I have a difficult living situation to resolve first.

You aren't going to get a degree in counseling, therapy or applied psychology being online only and international You need a practicum. Focus on a online BA first, you need a MA with CLINICALS to do any sort of therapy work.

Would you want a therapist who went to online school with no practicum and just had "life experience" to back it up? I wouldn't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 227 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Intl future student looking for guidance James4 6 340 04-18-2024, 04:16 PM
  Overseas Student default 8 262 04-14-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 554 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 8 660 04-10-2024, 11:40 PM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,101 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 452 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 1,040 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 433 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  AA degree to BS Psychology - advice needed StJackson 7 336 02-26-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley