Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meltdown- need TESC brainpower
OK, so I decided to be a complete moron and sign up for 5 classes at TESC. Maybe some of you super people can successfully do that, but I'm a week in and having a hardcore, ready to drop out of school and backpack across the country, serious. meltdown.

So, all that to say, something is going to give. Here's the dealio:

Gen Eds are finiso,

Area of Study
Semester Hours Completed: 23.33
GPA Achieved/Needed: 4.000 / 2.000
Complete all 6 subrequirements:
A: Pblc Plcy & Crm Jst (Pending)
> Complete one course in Public Policy and Criminal Justice.
Src Course # Title S.H. Grd TESC # Notes
1.. AOJ-484... Public Policy , Crime & C (3.00) ___ *IP

B: Criminal Law (Not Started)
> Complete one course in Criminal Law.
_____________________________________________________________________ 3 credits

C: Justice Adminstratn (Completed)
> Complete one course in Justice Administration.
Semester Hours Completed: 4.00
2.. LAWE101 Intro Crimnl Justice..... 2.00 A AOJ-102 *CC *TE
2.. LAWE104 Government & the Law..... 2.00 A AOJ-104 *CC *TE

D: Crmnl Bhvr & Vctmlgy (Pending)
> Complete one course in Criminal Behavior and Victimology.
1.. AOJ-381... Victimology and Criminal (3.00) ___ *IP

E: Research Methods (Not Started)
> Complete one course in Research Methods.

F: Criminal Just Elect (In Progress)
Semester Hours Completed: 13.33
Group 1 (Pending)
Semester Hours Completed: 6.33
2.. SOC210 Soc of Deviance.......... 3.33 A SOC-383 *CC *TE
1.. SOC-384... Gangs.................... (3.00) ___ *IP
Group 2 (In Progress)
Semester Hours Completed: 5.00 Required: 6 Remaining: 1
2.. LAWE260 Crim Evidence Trial...... 2.00 A AOJ-225 *CC *TE
1.. AOJ-280... Forensic Science......... (3.00) ___ *IP
_____________________________________________________________________ 1 credits
Group 3 (In Progress)
!! Exception
Overage in Justice Admin (1 sh).
5 sh needed.

2.. LAWE253 Criminal Procedure....... 2.00 A AOJ-142 *CC *TE
================================================================================
BA Free Electives (27 SH)
> Complete 27 semester hours of Free Electives.
Semester Hours Completed: 19.33 Required: 27 Remaining: 7.67

1.. PSY-230... Intro. to Educational Psy 3.00 CR PSY-230 *NE
2.. SOC299 Spt Soc of Serial Murder. 3.33 A SOC-299 *CC *TE
2.. SOC239 Law and Society.......... 3.33 A SOC-314 *CC *TE
2.. LAWE135 Terrorism................ 2.00 A AOJ-199 *CC *TE
2.. LAWE110 Criminal Invest I........ 2.67 A AOJ-140 *CC *TE
2.. LAWE115 Community & Per Rela..... 2.00 A AOJ-116 *CC *TE
1.. LIT-331... African Encounters....... (3.00) ___ *IP
__________________________________________________________________ 1.67 credits
================================================================================

I tried to cut out some unnecessary info in there, but the gist of it is... I signed up for 15 cr hrs under the comprehensive, and I want to drop two classes. I might be persuaded to keep one, but ideally I drop two. I realize this will cut into my paid-for credits & I will have to pay for something out of pocket.

Helllpppp, my brain shut off and I can't figure any of this out! I'm def keeping AOJ 484 and 381 because they are required. Anything else can go. I still want to graduate spring, so I'll be taking a CLEP or two TECEPs or something after Sept. semester is over.

*Huddles into a corner and scribbles at an essay for AOJ 484*

ETA: DUDE. Just read a little disclaimer on the TESC website: "taking no more than 12 credits at any one time. Overlap of more than 12 credits is not permitted except when courses are extended. Enrollment in more than 12 credits at a time requires permission from an academic advisor." Why didn't they warn me?! Permission from an advisor, my foot! I never heard a peep from them about it.
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
Goodness, you really jumped into it, didn't you? Smile

If you're going to drop a course to lighten the class load, one possible avenue to save yourself is to contact the Advising group and seek their help in redeeming the credit instead of losing it. Let them know it was accidental and you had not noticed or been aware of the need to obtain approval, and you now understand why that requirement is there. Maybe they will be able to help you get the course dropped without losing those credits from your Comprehensive Tuition pool. Or not - I'm not sure how much leeway they have - but it's worth a try. As for which course to drop, that's up to personal preference, I think. If any of those are prereqs for others you'll need to take later, I would suggest keeping those in the term so you will not work yourself in a corner later.

Alternatively, have you gone through all the calendars and made detailed study plans? I'm only taking 3 TESC courses, but working through two Penn Foster ones, have one CLEP down and a DSST I'll ideally complete by the end of the same term. Though Penn Foster, CLEP, and DSST are not as work-intensive, it helped to complete them alongside the regular courses by downloading/printing a free calendar template (just google "free printable calendar" or make your own in Excel), input the term dates by week, then go through each of the course calendars and input every due date. With the due dates set side-by-side, it's not nearly as intimidating or overwhelming. It's easier to set out study blocks to meet each deadline (the non-TESC courses are included - maybe they're easier to pass, but I try to get as much knowledge out of them as the others, so I give them as much time). I'm 75% through the term, have high As in the three TESC courses, the CLEP test is down (71 score), I'm almost ready for the DSST exam, and am about ready to submit the various exams in the first Penn Foster course. I live by my calendar - stare at it at the beginning of each week, complete readings and assignments based upon each course's dates, prep for the next week - and know it would not be possible to complete that many credits at one time without it.

That many courses is a lot, but if you're able to dedicate a lot of study time to completion, it's possible. If availability of study time is limited, though, try seeking the help of Advising to get a course dropped without losing the course from Comp Tuition. They may not be able to do anything about it, but it's worth a call or email to try,
mrs.b Wrote:Goodness, you really jumped into it, didn't you?

If you're going to drop a course to lighten the class load, one possible avenue to save yourself is to contact the Advising group and seek their help in redeeming the credit instead of losing it. Let them know it was accidental and you had not noticed or been aware of the need to obtain approval, and you now understand why that requirement is there. Maybe they will be able to help you get the course dropped without losing those credits from your Comprehensive Tuition pool. Or not - I'm not sure how much leeway they have - but it's worth a try. As for which course to drop, that's up to personal preference, I think. If any of those are prereqs for others you'll need to take later, I would suggest keeping those in the term so you will not work yourself in a corner later.

Alternatively, have you gone through all the calendars and made detailed study plans? I'm only taking 3 TESC courses, but working through two Penn Foster ones, have one CLEP down and a DSST I'll ideally complete by the end of the same term. Though Penn Foster, CLEP, and DSST are not as work-intensive, it helped to complete them alongside the regular courses by downloading/printing a free calendar template (just google "free printable calendar" or make your own in Excel), input the term dates by week, then go through each of the course calendars and input every due date. With the due dates set side-by-side, it's not nearly as intimidating or overwhelming. It's easier to set out study blocks to meet each deadline (the non-TESC courses are included - maybe they're easier to pass, but I try to get as much knowledge out of them as the others, so I give them as much time). I'm 75% through the term, have high As in the three TESC courses, the CLEP test is down (71 score), I'm almost ready for the DSST exam, and am about ready to submit the various exams in the first Penn Foster course. I live by my calendar - stare at it at the beginning of each week, complete readings and assignments based upon each course's dates, prep for the next week - and know it would not be possible to complete that many credits at one time without it.

That many courses is a lot, but if you're able to dedicate a lot of study time to completion, it's possible. If availability of study time is limited, though, try seeking the help of Advising to get a course dropped without losing the course from Comp Tuition. They may not be able to do anything about it, but it's worth a call or email to try,
I'm used to quarters... I thought 12 and 15 cr hrs were both just full time Wink

I might contact them about that, good idea! But I did drop two classes, so I doubt they will buy that it was just on account of the one extra class.

I did make detailed calendars- have done this for a year with online classes- had everything mapped out perfectly, and there was no way to keep it going and keep any portion of my sanity. I'm sure it was possible to finish, but at this point it's not worth it to me. I have no professional obligation to graduate at a certain time, and I am fairly sure I can graduate spring even taking 9 credit hours this semester. If not, to hell with spring graduation! Confusedmilelol:

This is the hugest relief, I feel like the world is new again Wink

Just emailed them to reevaluate some of my "free electives," there's no good reason 3 or 4 more of my CC classes shouldn't be CJ electives.

The only downside to this is that as of July of this year, W's appear on your transcript. However, I have been assured by reading several reliable internet sources that this does not affect anything, including LSAC GPA for law school. :hurray:

Will post my new plan when they reevaluate my credits... Anyone have advice? I dropped Forensic Science and African Lit.
Oh yes, if you have no obligation to finish by a certain date, taking on that much can be taxing on sanity. Taking on that much even when a specific graduation date is necessary is taxing on sanity! (I've questioned mine when the workload has been a little overwhelming.) It's great to hear you're feeling relief - I understand how much of a stress it can be!

I'm afraid I don't have advice on where you might get those courses cheaper elsewhere - it's not my area of study - but once you get your pace set with the three courses you kept, you may have freedom of time to mix in some others to still complete those credits.

Good luck! You'll do great. Smile
Don't freak out. Don't do anything today.

What if you just do the minimum for each class? What if you allowed yourself to get B's instead of all A's? could you do it then? I ask because a B on a transcript trumps a W any day, especially if it pushes back your graduation date.

It may sound like i'm telling you to slack off, i'm not. I took 21 credits one semester. Stupidest thing I ever did. But, you only have 10 weeks left, can you do it if you don't try and do it perfectly?? I bet you can!!
cookderosa Wrote:Don't freak out. Don't do anything today.

What if you just do the minimum for each class? What if you allowed yourself to get B's instead of all A's? could you do it then? I ask because a B on a transcript trumps a W any day, especially if it pushes back your graduation date.

It may sound like i'm telling you to slack off, i'm not. I took 21 credits one semester. Stupidest thing I ever did. But, you only have 10 weeks left, can you do it if you don't try and do it perfectly?? I bet you can!!
Apparently to law schools B's are worse than W's. B's are calculated into your LSAC GPA, which is half of the selection criteria. W's aren't even acknowledged by LSAC unless they were specifically punitive.

I'm sure I could do it if I got less than A's, but I'm eying law school admission/scholarships & it appears that W's are a much better option as far as that goes.

I'm pretty sure it won't push back graduation anyway. Sept. semester is over Nov. 19, giving me a solid month to take a few tests and get back those credits/stock up for spring semester.
I think you can do 15cr.
I am enrolled in 9cr at TESC and 9cr at NCU in the mba program.
You just have to get up early and do school work. Then do some when you get home. Spend your weekend doing it too. You freak out when you procrastinate. Trust me on this.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
PonyGirl93 Wrote:Apparently to law schools B's are worse than W's. B's are calculated into your LSAC GPA, which is half of the selection criteria. W's aren't even acknowledged by LSAC unless they were specifically punitive.

I'm sure I could do it if I got less than A's, but I'm eying law school admission/scholarships & it appears that W's are a much better option as far as that goes.

I'm pretty sure it won't push back graduation anyway. Sept. semester is over Nov. 19, giving me a solid month to take a few tests and get back those credits/stock up for spring semester.

>>>

If W's are better, take the W's. When I was eyeing med school, W's were absolutely counted (but not like a B was good either lol), but I'm sure you've already checked. At least it won't push back your graduation, so it's all good Smile
ryoder Wrote:I think you can do 15cr.
You just have to get up early and do school work. Then do some when you get home. Spend your weekend doing it too. You freak out when you procrastinate. Trust me on this.

How the hell do you people do it taking so many classes? Maybe I'm just scared to even try, but I feel comfortable taking only one class at a time. (I'm a slow reader) I might be able to handle 2 if I take a second while I'm half way done through the first, but that's about it.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
ryoder Wrote:I think you can do 15cr.
I didn't procrastinate, I swear. If this had been the product of my own irresponsibility in doing the work I would suck it up & take whatever grade I deserved, come what may. I suppose it is partially irresponsibility since I didn't look into how much the courseload actually was, but I did complete all of the work for the first week, no procrastination involved.

Pending withdrawal approval, it's done.

Props (I think) to your insanity Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,634 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,448 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,194 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,985 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,347 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,765 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,743 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,267 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,873 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,978 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77