Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most direct way to find out if a course will transfer without transcript?
This isn't really the most appropriate question for this forum and I haven't been here in awhile but have been a bit stressed about this so I figured I'd try here.

Background:

So, I took a bachelors degree in IT and have had a very hard time finding an entry position in help desk or anything else the last two years. I've been very much considering going back to school again for an associates in Nursing because I really need a career that is stable / not very location restricted. So Nursing or the trades seem like the most viable alternate option to IT for me, though I'm still considering getting a few certifications and trying some more.

Problem comes with the Pre-requisite classes needed to enroll in most nursing programs. Generally you need around 18-26 units of sciences like Anatomy & Physiology (with lab).

Some schools specifically want a butt-in-seat science course when it offers a lab, and others are perfectly happy accepting an online lab. 

Some schools want ALL of your pre-requsites graded (so no pass/fail) and some only want the core sciences graded.

So far, the most ideal for me as far as sciences go was a platform called Portage Learning which is a division of Geneva College, a regionally accredited institution. The courses are in a fully online format, books and all fees are included. It's a bit pricey, to me at least, coming in at $792 for a 4 credit course but once you factor in saving on distance learning fees, driving to testing centers etc it seems to balance out with the $500 or so community college course. The Portage courses are also self-paced and give you a full year to complete them.

Problem? So far it seems incredibly hard to find out which schools locally in this region / state will accept them. Whenever I contact program advisors for their nursing / allied health programs I generally get a 'Well I don't know, maybe, we had a student before with a course or two from there.' One told me a year ago the courses would be accepted and then last week when I emailed them again to double check said that a faculty member said they weren't up to par with the community college courses, but even then the advisor didn't really seem to show much interest in helping.

Are there any very direct ways / departments that I can contact at a school and get back a 'Yes, we will take them.'  | ' No, we won't take them.'  without sending them a transcript? I really shouldn't have to gamble with a few thousand dollars and then send a transcript and hope.
I assume you at least have access to unofficial transcripts for your school? Try using https://transferwise.com/ for the schools in question.
(06-17-2020, 04:26 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I assume you at least have access to unofficial transcripts for your school? Try using https://transferwise.com/ for the schools in question.

Nope, I'm trying to do due diligence and make sure that courses would transfer before I take them at another institution. I've already sent my official undergrad transcript to a few community colleges to see where I stand. I still need my science courses and was hoping to take them through Portage.
Sorry, it's https://www.transferology.com

That's what I get for not checking which one is which.

Transferology will let you check your individual courses to see if they'll transfer.
I have several family members who are nurses and they did their nursing degrees at community colleges. A few went onto a 4 year to get their bachelor's, but they became RN's with an associates degree. They had to take all of their science courses with labs and it was easiest at the community college. The community college also knows what the requirements are and can steer you in the right direction. Many community colleges have these programs. Some hospitals also have nursing schools in them. You also will need to become licensed by the state so make sure you check out your state requirements. A community college program might be the easiest route for a nursing degree. They will also help you find a job once you're reading to graduate. Many hospitals and medical offices come to the campus for career days.
(06-17-2020, 04:31 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Sorry, it's https://www.transferology.com

That's what I get for not checking which one is which.

Transferology will let you check your individual courses to see if they'll transfer.

Transferology!?

I never heard of this one before... it could gives you info about how providers transfer to big 3??
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
It's not 100% complete. I don't think TESU is in there really. But it should help with more standard schools.
Transferology unfortunately only works for a small set of schools usually, doesn't really work for the community colleges here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 449 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 713 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 513 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 698 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  MyWay Transfer Update: Non-degree awarding course provider bjcheung77 10 1,746 11-15-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  ASU CIS-194 Transcript vesparza15 3 586 10-13-2023, 10:47 AM
Last Post: vesparza15
  International Transcript Evaluation bradonomics 14 1,342 06-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 807 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Is It Worth the Money to Get a College Degree? Lets Do the Math and Find Out! LevelUP 20 2,101 02-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 672 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77