Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Courses in One Month - Straighterline - How?
Silly_Me Wrote:So, what happens if I purchase 5 courses in a month & feel overwhelmed? Can I cancel my subscription, take a couple months off, and then go back to the purchased courses when I'm ready again? Or, is it "use it or lose it?"

Yeah. Pay as you go definitely works, as Ideas said, but if you choose to take a break, you can let your subscription lapse and when you come back everything will be there just as you left it. I'd recommend instead of trying to do five courses at once, you do one at a time...your brain works more efficiently when it's focused on just one topic, haha.
Any suggestions for fast & easy courses? I'm starting form 0, so I'm all about filling up that core requirements list as quickly as possible. Wink
Gymfan15 Wrote:I'd recommend instead of trying to do five courses at once, you do one at a time...your brain works more efficiently when it's focused on just one topic, haha.

Agree! I did one course until completion, then the next. Faster and easier to digest.
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
I have completed 14 Straighterline courses in about 4 months. I have a system going, and it works very well for me.
I have never paid the extra money to expedite a test. I use the free 72 hour system. I take multiple classes at a time, and generally stack the exams. I have had 5 exams in my Proctor U schedule at one time. You can schedule exams before the class is even finished. You can be only half way through a class and still schedule the final. Then, I use the fact that I have a scheduled exam as motivation to get the class done in time. If, for some reason I cannot get the class done, I can simply reschedule the exam for three days later. I am constantly running on a rolling schedule of an exam every few days.

Not everyone will be able to do this. I am fortunate that I work a job where most of my work day is down time. Essentially, I sit and wait for on-call emergencies, and most of my time is free. I can literally get a paycheck while working on school 6 hours a day. Then, when I am on my free time at home, I work on school work there. I have averaged 7 hours a day, for four months doing classes.

Some will criticize that I can not possibly be learning much. They may be right. I generally know most of the material, to begin with. I have taken most of these courses in the 1990's, but I was duped with a non-accredited school that is now defunct. The degree is worthless. I have worked in business for 25 years, and know most of this material. I am just going through the paces to procure an accredited degree. It will change nothing for my employment status.

I think Straighterline is a great medium for self-paced learners and those who test well. If you actually take the time and read, the material is also pretty good. If you play the system with coupons and taking as many classes in a month as possible, you can really maximize your savings. My only gripe is that I really do not like Proctor U. Their system is slow. I spend more time setting up the exam and going through the paces than what it takes to actually take the exam. Also, Proctor U is very inconsistent. I have taken an exam where the Proctor barely asked any questions and rushed me through the process, while the next test I had the Proctor deny me using a textbook when it literally stated that I could use it. I showed the Proctor right where the syllabus said Textbook permitted, and they still said no. Oh well, passed that test, anyway.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

Silly_Me Wrote:Any suggestions for fast & easy courses? I'm starting form 0, so I'm all about filling up that core requirements list as quickly as possible. Wink

A number of people here did Medical Terminology and said it was easy. I guess it depends a bit on your background, but they seem to test the more obvious terminology.

Silly_Me Wrote:So, what happens if I purchase 5 courses in a month & feel overwhelmed? Can I cancel my subscription, take a couple months off, and then go back to the purchased courses when I'm ready again? Or, is it "use it or lose it?"

they are in your account forever- I verified that in advance. I purchased courses for my kids that they will take next school year, but I had the money now (and coupons) so bought them. Their SL accounts finish on Friday for summer break.
cookderosa Wrote:they are in your account forever- I verified that in advance. I purchased courses for my kids that they will take next school year, but I had the money now (and coupons) so bought them. Their SL accounts finish on Friday for summer break.

That is true I still have a couple classes in my account from 4 years ago when I thought I was going to finish school before.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 8 310 Yesterday, 08:22 PM
Last Post: louise
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 202 Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Straighterline Spanish 1 yc1981 4 130 Yesterday, 03:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,501 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 1,028 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 727 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 539 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 200 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 470,242 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,960 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat