Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My turn to rant
Okay... so I took the CLEP for English and passed, but now I feel like I may have cheated myself out of something.
I'm taking a 2000 level English classes, as a requirement, and I am finding that I struggle over the assignments. Not because I find them too difficult, but more so because I find them not interesting or engaging.
My worst habit when it comes to these assignments is that I tend to "nuke it" (some of you may know what that means).

Overall, I just have no interest in learning the subject of English in the way the instructor wants to teach it. For the first time I seriously considered dropping a class.
I think you will find that most of the Brick and Mortar classes you will take will be like that. The pace you are used to learning is so great, that these will seem like childs play. The best advice I can offer is just keep plugging and chugging, as hard as that may be Smile

~Rich
Better be wise by the misfortunes of others than by your own.
~Aesop

Pursuing B.S. Nuclear Technologies, Excelsior College

Tests Remaining: 0 (0SH)

Tests Taken: 11 (36SH)

CLEP
U.S. Hist I(57), U.S. Hist II(58), Intro Soc(67), A&I Lit(78), American Gov.(61)
DSST
Intro to IS(73), MIS(65), Ethics In America(68), Intro World Rel.(71), General Anthropology(65), Astronomy(69)
Chopping Block
None and DONE!
[SIZE="2"]Looks like the classic comparison of "Qualitative -vs- Quantitative" in the context of "new insights -vs- 3 new credits." Unfortunately they both go hand-in-hand, yet the bottom line is that no matter what you get out out of a class intellectually you still count on those new credits to move you along.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]You don't always get what you want , but sometimes - you get what you need![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
My biggest gripe, so far, is the weekly reading analysis assignments that require 900 words. To some that may not seem like much, but I always feel like I am fluffing up the paper. I can do the assignments in less than 200 words.

Honestly, it feels like I am writing a paper each week in addition to the four research papers that are due over the semester. In addition, discussion board participation is 20% of the grade. At least I don't have to sit in class three times a week since this is an online course.
Roseblood Wrote:Honestly, it feels like I am writing a paper each week in addition to the four research papers that are due over the semester. In addition, discussion board participation is 20% of the grade. At least I don't have to sit in class three times a week since this is an online course.

[SIZE="2"]Do you (did you) have any options such as another course at another school like LSU's Independent Study program?[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
I guess I could have used an option like that. However, since I work for the university at which I am taking classes the tuition is free. It makes it a bit easier to take classes when you don't have to pay for them.

The other issue is that this specific class is required for General Ed for a degree at this school. I guess if I took an equivalent course that would work too, but they are extremely picky here. For example, they wouldn't take any of my math credits from the military to satisfy the math gen ed requirement.
Roseblood Wrote:....However, since I work for the university at which I am taking classes the tuition is free....

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]If it's FREE it's for ME!!!!

I would stand in the corner for the entire class just to get FREE tuition!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where to turn to boost GPA? TalentlessOlympian 15 3,806 01-27-2019, 01:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SpeedyPrep rant rmroberts 16 3,923 08-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Last Post: 2014hunter
  Being Helpful versus feeding by hand -- Rant TMW2010 8 1,825 08-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Last Post: rickyjo
  My rant for today...... iwannapass 4 1,913 03-04-2007, 03:37 AM
Last Post: iwannapass
  I am annoyed! - rant mom2LLL 17 3,826 08-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Urbannaja