Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMJC and Luna questions
Hi guys! I have dozens of questions. First of all I started out wanting to do everything at study.com/sl/saylor. I received the Guardian scholarship, and also took the free ethics course, I've also finished intermediate algebra and statistics. I had hoped to accomplish more on Aleks but statistics drug me through the mud! Here's the dilemma I'm short on funds. I applied and was approved for the pell grant and I originally sent it over to TESU then after reading countless threads about how they are basically highway robbery on per credit hour cost I started to look into NMJC and Luna. These seem great, my biggest goal out of this (other then gain more credits) is to have money back from the pell grant to spend on study.com. I've applied to both and had FAFSA info sent to both. Here are my questions.

1. Who is cheaper in the long run? Luna without extra fees is going to be $1092 for 12 credit hours.  NMJC is $768 and the books I've looked into are outrageous! 

2. Is there a transfer equivalency chart for CC to Tesu or am I kind of just using common sense and winging it?

3. Should I enroll as degree seeking or no?

4. If they do not accept ACE credits can I take ENC-102 even though I'm technically a freshman?

5. Does anyone recommend any certain classes?

6. Is there a wiki page on NMJC or Luna? I wasn't able to find it.

Also, I still can't decide my degree path. I really wanted to do criminology but TESU doesn't offer it. I currently work in the microbiology field and have for the past 10 years. I was grandfathered in before they required a degree. I would love to move to a forensic lab or criminal research facility. 

Thanks everyone, 
Indecisive, overwhelmed, me.
Hi Tennesseegirl,

I wish I could offer more suggestions than the one I'm writing you about but it could change your perspective concerning textbooks.  

I found a free textbook site.  I wrote a new post concerning it this morning but it hasn't shown up yet, presumably due to the link I provided which probably needs to be verified by a moderator.  The site is in its infancy so it doesn't have a large number of free textbooks at this time.  But I feel confident that number will improve.  It's openstax dot org.  

My 17 y.o. just enrolled in our local CC.  Her textbooks were outrageous, >$100 per book and that was for some used books as well.  I found textbooks and e-textbooks for rent on Amazon.  Be sure to review Amazon's policies on rental & check the return date.  Also, rent early.  I found e-textbooks on Amazon for $10-$40 per book when renting.  I didn't rent them immediately b/c the due date was prior to the end of the semester.  Because I didn't rent early, Amazon sold out of rental e-textbooks.  Who'd thunk it???  Anyhow, I later read, but please verify this, you can extend your rental if the due date is prior to the end of your semester.

Since Amazon sold out, I found the e-textbooks at bookshelf dot vitalsource dot com.  While not free, 2 e-textbooks cost $70 as opposed to >$250 for 2 in-hand textbooks.  When you rent, they are your e-textbook for 180 days; much better than Amazon's short rental period.   Bookshelf allows you to create flashcards and take notes in multiple colors.  You can even share your notes with other students which you approve.

The first day using the e-textbooks was a bit convoluted as my daughter had never used e-textbooks but she's a teen with good common sense so she figured it out quickly.  It took one statistics class to turn her from I-told-you-I-like-hard-copy-books lover to a dang-my-backpack-is-so-much-lighter-with-only my-macbook-it-in book lover.

Hope this helps!
Robin (a North Carolina girl)   Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes rvm's post:
  • Yenisei
There's really not much of a difference between criminology and criminal justice. Criminology just incorporates more sociology, but criminal justice already incorporates a lot. Criminology is not the major you want to study if you want to work in forensic science. Some criminal justice programs have a concentration in criminalistics or forensic science, but it's better to just get a degree in forensic science, chemistry, or biology.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
That's very helpful I will check it out! Any dollar or one hundred dollars I can save helps big time! Thanks neighbor!! ?
(08-24-2017, 03:36 PM)Tennesseegirl87 Wrote: That's very helpful I will check it out! Any dollar or one hundred dollars I can save helps big time! Thanks neighbor!!  ?

You are welcome!
(08-24-2017, 03:36 PM)sanantone Wrote: There's really not much of a difference between criminology and criminal justice. Criminology is not the major you want to study of you want to work in forensic science. Some criminal justice programs have a concentration in criminalistics or forensic science, but it's better to just get a degree in forensic science, chemistry, or biology.

Thanks! I know I just feel like it looks better me being silly. I will most likely do CJ and take extra science classes I printed out the AS in biology too so I was thinking maybe I'll try to take "minor" in biology. When I get to that point I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions. I start working on this and I end up planning out the fun classes and how many other degrees I could do instead of taking care of gen ed and what should be a priority! I'm terrible. It's just so exciting/scary!
I believe Luna requires you to attend the live webcasts at certain times, which makes it kind of inflexible. Also, look at the Luna schedule. They do not have a lot of options for classes.

For the Pell Grant, you have to be enrolled as degree seeking.

Are you hoping to attend right away? Most schools are closing their Fall enrollment or they are already closed. However if you don't use the Pell Grant this fall, you would have left over after Spring to use in the Summer. Summer classes are usually accelerated.

NMJC does have plenty of CJ courses and they are the cheapest - unless you live in a state with cheap resident tuition.

Another cheaper school is Clovis, but they are not as cheap as NMJC.

(08-24-2017, 04:45 PM)Ideas Wrote: I believe Luna requires you to attend the live webcasts at certain times, which makes it kind of inflexible. Also, look at the Luna schedule. They do not have a lot of options for classes.

For the Pell Grant, you have to be enrolled as degree seeking.

Are you hoping to attend right away? Most schools are closing their Fall enrollment or they are already closed. However if you don't use the Pell Grant this fall, you would have left over after Spring to use in the Summer. Summer classes are usually accelerated.

NMJC does have plenty of CJ courses and they are the cheapest - unless you live in a state with cheap resident tuition.

Another cheaper school is Clovis, but they are not as cheap as NMJC.

I was planning to do this fall but I called nmjc and you can only add or change classes if you're already enrolled, which I'm not so it looks like I will be attending spring. That sucks ? But I will look for cheap credits to work on until then! I didn't know Luna did the webcasts that pretty much eliminates them because I'm on central time, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be home from work in time to attend those.
How long ago did you graduate from high school? Doesn't Tennessee have free community college for recent graduates?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Yenisei
(08-24-2017, 05:39 PM)sanantone Wrote: How long ago did you graduate from high school? Doesn't Tennessee have free community college for recent graduates?

Yes but I graduated 13 years ago.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 227 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 763 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,323 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 2,757 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 779 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  5 Questions to Answer When Creating a Positive Online Presence for College Acceptance LevelUP 0 423 03-19-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  HSE questions Celiics 9 1,330 10-31-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Celiics
  Questions about Davar Academy "Business class". qiaoyiren 11 1,812 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  NMJC total fees gams007 22 2,445 12-30-2020, 07:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Questions about TEEX’s Death Investigation course Michelle779 3 1,708 06-23-2020, 10:49 AM
Last Post: ctcarl