Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer.
Has anyone taken the Principles of Statistics TECEP? I was just reading the exam guide (http://www2.tesu.edu/tecep_desc/STA-201.pdf). Its 100 MC questions and you only need to answer 55 correctly. On top of that, here is what they have to say about the exam :"You may bring a non-programmable calculator but probably won’t need it. The exam is concept-based, so you do not need to memorize every formula. However, you do need to be familiar with formulas so you can identify the appropriate situation in which to use them. You should memorize the following formulas:mean--median--standard deviation--z-score--variances"

Anyone who has taken an actual in person Stats course (yours truly), or took the Stats DSST (again yours truly), or even took a stab at the ALEKs Stats course (you guessed it, yours truly), knows how much a pain in the neck all the calculations are. This may seem like a good option for someone seeking a more concept based method.

Has anyone already attempted and would like to comment?

CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
[-] The following 2 users Like Prloko's post:
  • mc.christi, Silly_Me
I'm studying for it now, I only need 1 TECEP for residency (under the old program). I'm registered for the May term, so I have to take it by July 24 - I will let you know how it goes. Using Khan Academy to study.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Prloko Wrote:Has anyone taken the Principles of Statistics TECEP? I was just reading the exam guide (http://www2.tesu.edu/tecep_desc/STA-201.pdf). Its 100 MC questions and you only need to answer 55 correctly. On top of that, here is what they have to say about the exam :"You may bring a non-programmable calculator but probably won’t need it. The exam is concept-based, so you do not need to memorize every formula. However, you do need to be familiar with formulas so you can identify the appropriate situation in which to use them. You should memorize the following formulas:mean--median--standard deviation--z-score--variances"

Anyone who has taken an actual in person Stats course (yours truly), or took the Stats DSST (again yours truly), or even took a stab at the ALEKs Stats course (you guessed it, yours truly), knows how much a pain in the neck all the calculations are. This may seem like a good option for someone seeking a more concept based method.

Has anyone already attempted and would like to comment?

I failed to complete ALEKS but successfully passed the DSST. I'm not mathy.
Saylor has a Business Statistics course (https://learn.saylor.org/course/bus204), for those that want the cheapest option ($25) along with the convenience of online proctoring.
@Prloko, did you ever end up taking the Statistics TECEP? How was it? I'm considering taking it after I "teach" myself the concepts w/ the help of Aleks. I've never taken statistics before, and I need some residency credits at TESU for the military degree completion program (working on an associate's degree at TESU before transferring over to Excelsior). Thanks for the info!
I seem to remember seeing that the Saylor Principles of Statistics (or Intro to Statistics; I can never seem to remember what the name is -- not the business one) is correlated to the TECEP. I can't find that now, but I remember noticing that there were two different credit options for that class: use it to prepare for the TECEP, or take the proctored final for ACP/ACE credit recommendation. And I know I picked that one because it seemed to focus more on the general concepts than the math itself.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
LOL, for Stats courses, I've been advising people to do the Study.com version or the SL Business Stats.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Since it would've been nice to hear someone's experience with this exam when I was studying for it, I'll go ahead and share mine now that I've passed this exam.

I got an 80%. The passing score is 55% or higher. The 2 hours I had was enough time for me to finish comfortably. I can say the TECEP test description very closely describes the content of this exam. As they said, it really is not formula based. I had to use the Standard Deviation formula once. I'd say the majority of questions were on Mean, Mode, Median and Range, so be sure you know them well. Things like "a given data set is 8, 8, 10, 11, X and 14; if the mean is 10, what is X?"

I used the Study.com TECEP Principles of Statistics: Study Guide & Test Prep course to study for this exam. Although it was accurate, you can definitely pass this exam without it. Any time spent worrying about the formulas, which was most of the SDC test prep, is really not necessary. Learn the concepts listed in the test description, very well, and you will be good to go. I spent about a week studying pretty intensely for this exam. I probably spent over 20 hours studying in total. Obviously I studied things that were not on the exam. I will say that any time spent familiarizing myself with things like the symbols used in statistics (I had never seen a sigma symbol before or known what it meant before this) was well worth it. I pretty much just watched every SDC video and took every lesson's quiz. I did not take the chapter review exams. I went with SDC because I have a shared login to be able to watch the videos and take the quizzes (but not get credit from SDC). I honestly wouldn't have paid money for it. I chose to take this TECEP because I needed RA credits, am generally good with math-related subjects, need it for my BSBA core, and already have Gen Ed credits.

An example of a concept based question would be:
Joe is in the 55th percentile. That means:
a) 55% of other students scored the same or lower than Joe
b) 55% of other students' scores were the same or higher than Joe's score
c) Joe got more than half of the questions right
d) Joe scored 55%

You don't need to know the percentile rank formula to answer this.

These are 3 links that I used to learn more about specific topics. You could probably use them to study for the entire exam. The first two are listed in TESU's Principles of Statistics online class syllabus, but not for this TECEP for some reason. I did not use the textbook listed in the test description.

https://openstax.org/details/books/intro...statistics
https://stats.libretexts.org/Bookshelves...ics_(Lane)
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/statistics-probability
(07-06-2016, 06:19 AM)Nixi Wrote: Saylor has a Business Statistics course (https://learn.saylor.org/course/bus204), for those that want the cheapest option ($25) along with the convenience of online proctor
Hi, I wonder when will this course take place? 

(05-22-2023, 09:21 PM)taylorgodiva28 Wrote:
(07-06-2016, 06:19 AM)Nixi Wrote: Saylor has a Business Statistics course (https://learn.saylor.org/course/bus204), for those that want the cheapest option ($25) along with the convenience of online proctor
Hi, I wonder when will this course take place? 

This is an old, old thread. Saylor is now $5 per exam. It takes place whenever you want. Sophia Statistics is probably easier than the Saylor exam, assuming the Saylor course is still ACE-recommended.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 587 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 383 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,316 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TECEP Environmental Ethics dbwdb 1 644 11-01-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: SpeedDemon
  TECEP limits? oldguy4associate 4 484 10-24-2023, 04:19 PM
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 739 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TECEP Operations Management colinsr 4 586 10-09-2023, 11:06 AM
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,110 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 1,023 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  TECEP midnite123 7 751 08-08-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: dfrecore