Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need direction
(06-30-2020, 03:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 04:07 PM)dfrecore Wrote: WGU is very particular about which credits they take, there are no "electives" so you would want to plan out those courses if that was your plan.  Otherwise, you're wasting your time.

I thought they took everything ACE? I've seen other posts in the forum to indicate this. The lack of electives does make things a bit trickier, but Sophia is mostly general eds anyway.

Accepting a course is different than being able to apply it to waive a specific requirement for a specific degree program. This applies to WGU or any other college.

At WGU, the courses not only have to be acceptable (accredited college or university course or an accepted ACE credit course) but they have to match the curriculum and meet the same competencies as the course you're trying to get waived. This is why so many people have problems with transferring credits to other schools... people just assume that because two courses have similar names that they will fulfill the same requirements. Similar names do not guarantee that the curriculum is the same between the two courses or that it comes in at the same level (upper vs lower level), etc.

And because WGU degrees have fewer GenEd's and do not include electives, that means every course that you transfer in has to be a match for the same course at WGU in order to meet the requirements of that course in your WGU degree program. At other schools, if you have extra courses that don't fit into the degree program, you can often just bump them into electives so the credits aren't wasted. There is nothing similar at WGU.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • electronicgenius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you point me in the right direction? Livia_Drusila 37 1,079 03-21-2024, 04:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Point me in the right direction DaddyBlack024 9 590 07-02-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Another Old timer needing direction Groovygravy 16 1,272 11-23-2022, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Olivia4826
  Need direction for selecting degree and uni NewatTESU 17 2,491 07-13-2021, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Sdmj33
  Thanks for great advice, just need some MBA direction RICKE95126 30 2,182 04-21-2021, 08:41 PM
Last Post: rachel83az