Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need direction
So I've been looking around trying to figure out where to go. Was looking at the degree wiki noticed alot of that is out of date. Currently I'm working on the personal finance class thru study.com got the guardian scholarship also had previously started studying for US History 1 clep. I'm wanting to get some sort of business degree but not sure where to go from here. Also wondering if my credits are going to be any good that I obtained almost 20 years ago when I first started college major back then was accounting. Hoping to have some sort of degree before my oldest hits college in 4 years yikes. Possibly looking to get her to start doing cleps as well as she's a smart kid and has a couple honors classes next year in high school. Took a clep I believe 3 years ago and passed unfortunately didn't continue so have credit for the marketing clep.
Collegelady2 Wrote:So I've been looking around trying to figure out where to go. Was looking at the degree wiki noticed alot of that is out of date. Currently I'm working on the personal finance class thru study.com got the guardian scholarship also had previously started studying for US History 1 clep. I'm wanting to get some sort of business degree but not sure where to go from here. Also wondering if my credits are going to be any good that I obtained almost 20 years ago when I first started college major back then was accounting. Hoping to have some sort of degree before my oldest hits college in 4 years yikes. Possibly looking to get her to start doing cleps as well as she's a smart kid and has a couple honors classes next year in high school. Took a clep I believe 3 years ago and passed unfortunately didn't continue so have credit for the marketing clep.

Yes, some of the info is outdated. BUT, if you read a lot on this forum, you will start to understand how the different programs work, and so it's not a waste of your time. I suggest you start with the Beginner's Guide, as it's very helpful in understanding the Big 3, and how online courses/exams work (and what all of the options are).

Then, once you get a handle on that, continue coming to this forum to read, read, and read some more. You will start to learn from it, especially the most current info.

To answer your question, yes, your old college credit will still work for you. You may be limited in how many credits can work in your Core/Area of Study (TESU limits you to 10cr for anything over 10 years old, for instance). But there will be plenty of non-core credits that you can use towards things like Gen Ed and Free Electives.

If you post your credits on here, we can help with degree plans for the 3 schools. I have a good one for TESU, and others can help to let you know if COSC or EC might be a better fit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Ok thanks might be a few days till I have all of those previous credits can't even get the login info to see those credits so will have to call the schools. I've already done a good deal of reading and know how to access alot of the good sources of credit aleks, study.com, clep, dsst. Not very clear on Penn Foster how much those credits cost etc or Saylor how that works exactly. Do know about the deal that modern states is currently doing got my 1st test paid for just finishing up studying so I can go take that US History 1. But I will definitely post once I get those credits so hopefully you guys can help me make a better plan instead of just doing any cleps modern states will cover and my 2 classes a month that I am getting for free from study.com almost finished off my personal finance about 70% to completion. Any tips on which study.com course I should do next while I try to contact schools and get those credits?
Collegelady2 Wrote:Not very clear on Penn Foster how much those credits cost etc or Saylor how that works exactly.

Saylor is a free course, and then you pay $25 to get the online proctored exam. Some of the courses and exams aren't that good, so you may need other material to study.

Penn Foster is $79 per credit. You can get a whole course at SL for less than that.

Collegelady2 Wrote:Any tips on which study.com course I should do next while I try to contact schools and get those credits?

If you're going for the BSBA, do Principles of Finance.

As something of an aside, I would say definitely, absolutely have your daughter take CLEPs for general ed stuff as she finishes relevant courses -- while the information is still fresh in her memory! I didn't go to college straight out of high school, and I always tell people I don't regret that all, but the one thing I would do differently if I knew then what I know now is to take CLEPs. Like, I don't remember a whit of algebra now and will have to study it all over again, whereas I could have taken a CLEP right after finishing high school algebra and probably passed it just fine. It won't hurt to have those credits.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
a2jc4life Wrote:As something of an aside, I would say definitely, absolutely have your daughter take CLEPs for general ed stuff as she finishes relevant courses -- while the information is still fresh in her memory! I didn't go to college straight out of high school, and I always tell people I don't regret that all, but the one thing I would do differently if I knew then what I know now is to take CLEPs. Like, I don't remember a whit of algebra now and will have to study it all over again, whereas I could have taken a CLEP right after finishing high school algebra and probably passed it just fine. It won't hurt to have those credits.

I agree! For me, getting back into math isn't as hard, but I don't like having to redo history and humanities.

I know what you mean I'm back to working on math too been so long currently working on college algebra in aleks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for direction AAS to BA/BS FastPace 7 1,326 02-25-2019, 01:30 PM
Last Post: FastPace
  Need a direction...overwhelmed dfsquare 3 1,655 10-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Last Post: High_Order1
  Help me in the right direction [Environmental Sciences/Biology/Ecology] ForestDude 6 1,430 10-22-2016, 03:09 AM
Last Post: ForestDude
  Can anyone point me in the right direction? LI94 3 1,093 05-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  Is there direction on here for beginning testing as a freshman in high school? sewhappy 17 2,782 01-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Last Post: NCclepper
  Help with direction mortalone 4 891 09-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Last Post: mortalone
  Masters Degree direction needed. motuterry 4 1,246 05-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Last Post: alissaroot
  10/27 UPDATE: Hello, brand new and need direction by Navydave70 navydave70 3 880 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Last Post: navydave70
  Hello, brand new and need direction navydave70 9 1,877 10-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Last Post: thatbrian
  Few previous credits.....Need Direction lostcamel 2 1,104 06-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Last Post: autoxer240