Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help Planning Computer Science Degree
Hello. I just want opinions on what I could do. I would like a Computer Science Degree, I dont want an Information Technology degree. SO UMPI is out. I would like to use my company's tuition reimbursement. This would require me to make monthly payments So WGU and TESU are out. My work does have an agreement with Colorado Tech University, which would be to make payments every 8 weeks but at the end of the semester but I dont know about their accreditation. I live in Florida and wanted UF but they dont accept Sophia credits. I havent started but I have Sophia free until Dec. What are the best suggestions? 

Budget: I have 5K yearly tuition reimbursement so I would like to start soon to use 2022.  I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  

Commitments:  I currently work full time and can work on my studies all week, so no issues.

Timeline: I want to finish as soon as possible but being that the degree I want is not everywhere I am open.

I would prefer not to write papers. I would love no proctors on test! I need to have a payment plan. I am open to all schools and possibilities.  I applied to University of Maryland Global
Hmm, PM me where you work and what position you currently hold... This is the third time I've come across Colorado Technical University in regards to reimbursement... haha, I think I know exactly which company. Anyways, if you're going with Colorado Tech, you can just take any of their courses and transfer into TESU or WGU, another option we recommend here is SNHU, etc. I wouldn't just "cut these schools" out because of the monthly payment plans as most schools if not all are very accommodating in regards to fee/tuition payments.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You're going to need to explain what the monthly payment thing is, because I have no idea what that is. Most schools don't allow for monthly payments, so I'm not sure why your tuition reimbursement is set up this way. And I don't know how that affects things.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-28-2022, 10:50 AM)dfrecore Wrote: You're going to need to explain what the monthly payment thing is, because I have no idea what that is.  Most schools don't allow for monthly payments, so I'm not sure why your tuition reimbursement is set up this way.  And I don't know how that affects things.

The reimbursement is paid out per class. But, I have never used reimbursement before. I want to do a monthly plan because I am paying out of pocket. University of Maryland Global has one. But TESU only has one for nursing. WGU has one as well.

(05-28-2022, 01:23 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, PM me where you work and what position you currently hold...  This is the third time I've come across Colorado Technical University in regards to reimbursement... haha, I think I know exactly which company.  Anyways, if you're going with Colorado Tech, you can just take any of their courses and transfer into TESU or WGU, another option we recommend here is SNHU, etc.  I wouldn't just "cut these schools" out because of the monthly payment plans as most schools if not all are very accommodating in regards to fee/tuition payments.

You are right. However, I did speak to TESU and they said only Nursing has a payment plan and I would need to pay before they would open up classes. WGU did confirm with me they can do payments which is good. I will be self paying and would prefer not to pay a lump sum. I tried finding it here but does University of Maryland global work well with Sophia? I would love accelerate but with a CS degree, it just may not be possible.

I could take the classes from CTU and transfer them in. That is true, I may take a look at that. CTU said I can transfer in Sophia credits at anytime every 8 weeks. I may check out FIU to see if they accept Sophia. In state tuition may be cheaper.
(05-28-2022, 02:48 PM)coryjunior19 Wrote: I tried finding it here but does University of Maryland global work well with Sophia? I would love accelerate but with a CS degree, it just may not be possible.

You can complete a lot of the general education courses and one major course for computer science (databases) on Sophia: https://umgc.sophia.org/#courses (it's still best to register on the main website)

General education requirements: https://www.umgc.edu/online-degrees/bach...on-courses
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
UMGC allows up to 90 credits for transfer, there are several schools that we talk about that has this option, UMGC is just one of them. They're a pretty good program if you can get to max the 90 credits, you can get the Comp Sci degree by completing just the minimum residency with them. You may want to check this thread and see if any offers a Comp Sci degree, such as Fort Hays, etc. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...n-transfer

You are probably better off getting a student loan and then doing TESU or WGU in one term.

If your employer pays for it, great, then it's free, otherwise, pay the $5000 and be done with it rather than doing many years at other colleges.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I would first narrow down the schools that you are interested in. Then find out how they handle students who are using employer reimbursement. For the school I am going to, I have 45 days AFTER classes end to submit payment. So plenty of time to simply use that reimbursement at the same time. Or at least, with very little time in between.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
When I used tuition reimbursement, I was paid after each course. Which meant that I really only had to pay for that first course, and then the reimbursement check was paid and I used it to pay for the 2nd course, and so on. Then at the end, I was made whole. So try thinking of it this way instead of a monthly thing.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@coryjunior19, again, find the degree/school of your choice.  As per my example, SNHU, they work with a third party for tuition payment plans.  Many schools may not offer this option themselves, but many others will have a partner tuition payment plan provider in place to complete that request.  If you really need to have one, call or email the schools you're interested in to find out!

Here is their partner website: https://snhu.afford.com/PaymentPlans | You can search for other universities that take them: https://sfs.afford.com/SchoolSearch/
As a last resort, you can speak with your financial institution, be it a bank or credit union, ask to see if they allow payment plans towards tuition.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 0 20 6 hours ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 587 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,163 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,902 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 194 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,106 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,293 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 171 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 930 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 534 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM