Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with ASNSM Math AOS options for TESU
davewill Wrote:I don't believe that any of the associate's degrees require UL credit. You should be able to find discrete math at a CC, and it would be LL even if you took it from TESU.

Thanks. My local college is pretty expensive. I don't see any online schools under $100/credit that have it... Clovis, NMJC, etc. No CSU-Global CBE.

I'm hesitant to spend $330-450+ on the course. I know, I was being too hopeful to think of getting the one advanced math course for less Sad I get used to the cost of the TECEPs, CLEPs, etc.

Ideas Wrote:Thanks. My local college is pretty expensive. I don't see any online schools under $100/credit that have it... Clovis, NMJC, etc. No CSU-Global CBE.

I'm hesitant to spend $330-450+ on the course. I know, I was being too hopeful to think of getting the one advanced math course for less Sad I get used to the cost of the TECEPs, CLEPs, etc.

Those math exams are also far easier than the math courses not available via SL, CLEP, etc. I'm not sure if you really know how amazingly hard math can be. It's not just the money issue.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:Those math exams are also far easier than the math courses not available via SL, CLEP, etc. I'm not sure if you really know how amazingly hard math can be. It's not just the money issue.

I agree with you - it's easy to underestimate it if someone is used to the easier courses/exams. I'm not the OP, but personally I've done advanced math courses (Linear Algebra and another w/o credit).

Also, some people find Discrete Math a lot easier than Linear Alg. Others say Linear is easier, and I know it varies depending on where you go. They say it depends on how you think and your background.

I'm pretty sure I'll find DM easier, even though I've done LA before, so that's my plan. But I'll look at them in more detail and consider doing LA instead.

(05-03-2017, 05:23 PM)Ideas Wrote: Even if someone got that many credits for Calc I, they still need 9 credits of Theory which is: "Calculus II (Integral Calculus); Calculus III (Multivariate Calculus); Discrete Math; Linear Algebra (Calculus Based); Probability; Statistics; Matrix Algebra; Number Theory."

So 3 cr Statistics are easy and cheap, and 3-4 cr Calc II, and you still need one of the hard to find courses :( I would love to find a 3 credit course that meets the requirements that isn't expensive.

(Geometry and the extra Calc I/II credits would fill the math Electives, and some other basic math is needed for GenEds, like Intermediate Algebra.)

Can you tell me if the edX courses (TESU MAT-399) Linear Differential Equations, and (MAT-399) Non-linear Differential Equations qualify as "Theory" or not? This is a lot of work for an AA degree :p
Completed: 
TESU BA Social Sciences, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited)
WGU MBA in Healthcare Management (ACBSP Accredited)
In Progress: Creighton University PharmD

(08-24-2017, 01:50 PM)Flying-Ace Wrote: Can you tell me if the edX courses (TESU MAT-399) Linear Differential Equations, and (MAT-399) Non-linear Differential Equations qualify as "Theory" or not? This is a lot of work for an AA degree :p

They should, but it is a good idea to get TESU to confirm.

(08-24-2017, 01:50 PM)Flying-Ace Wrote: Can you tell me if the edX courses (TESU MAT-399) Linear Differential Equations, and (MAT-399) Non-linear Differential Equations qualify as "Theory" or not? This is a lot of work for an AA degree :p

Not sure on your question, but I do know that TESU won't take them unless you take the courses when they are "live" as opposed to archived.  So, you have to wait until they come around again.  Last time they offered them live was 2015, then this summer, so it may be 2 years again.  That's a long wait.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-24-2017, 10:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Not sure on your question, but I do know that TESU won't take them unless you take the courses when they are "live" as opposed to archived.  So, you have to wait until they come around again.  Last time they offered them live was 2015, then this summer, so it may be 2 years again.  That's a long wait.

They are currently live again! Which is great timing for our needs. Now if they will just work towards the ASNSM. He is leaning towards the BA in Math now that the EdX courses are back. If only we can find a less expensive Calc III option.
Completed: 

The EdX courses are halfway done at this point. I just barely passed the first one with a LOT of effort. I am working through the second one right now. I have 26% with about 3 weeks left to go. I need to get to around 35% to have a shot with the final in order to get 70% on the second one. Then the third one would open. Supposedly, you have to take the first to get access to later classes. I am not sure how strictly they enforce that.

This is my evaluation for the math ASNSM:

2: ASNSM Mathematics (17 SH) (In progress)
SH Earned: 18 GPA Achieved/Needed: none / 2.000 Complete all 3 subrequirements:

A: TES-100 1 SH (Not started)
For TESU course options, go to TES-100 Cor nerstone: Lifelong Learning Strategies Course
Cornerstone: Lifelong Learning Strategies
Source Course Title Term Grade SH TESU # Notes
______ _______________ _________________________ __________ _______ _______ __________
1 credit needed
B: Calculus I 3 SH (Complete)
*must earn a grade of C/CR or better
For TESU course options, go to MAT-231 Calculus I
1 MAT-231 Calculus I 05/01/93 CR 3.00 MAT-231
*NE
C: Math Electives 13 SH (Complete)
*must grades of C/CR or better
For TESU course options, please conta ct an Advisor
SH Earned: 15
2 MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Mathemati 08/17/17 CR 3.00 MAT-105
*NE
3 MAT-103 General Math II 08/01/17 CR 3.00 MAT-103
*NE
4 STA-201 Principles of Statistics 04/15/17 CR 3.00 STA-201
*NEW *NE
4 MAT-129 Precalculus 04/11/17 CR 3.00 MAT-129
*NEW *NE
4 MAT-121 College Algebra 03/25/17 CR 3.00 MAT-121
*NEW *NE

I was actually quite surprised at how easy it was to meet the requirements for the ASNSM. I took the CLEP College Math. It is six credit hours and the MAT-103 counts as one of the electives. The DSST liberal arts math counts for three of the electives as well. My real question is whether I should do this or go for the computer science ASNSM instead.
(09-04-2017, 03:44 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I was actually quite surprised at how easy it was to meet the requirements for the ASNSM. I took the CLEP College Math. It is six credit hours and the MAT-103 counts as one of the electives. The DSST liberal arts math counts for three of the electives as well. My real question is whether I should do this or go for the computer science ASNSM instead.

At first glance, or when using the "What if I changed my program of study" drop down bar option from OSS, it would apprear that those lower level math options count. However, they don't. The degree is a bit more difficult than it seems. At the bottom of the ASNSM in Mathematics degree it states:
Note: The following courses are examples of the types of mathematics courses that CANNOT be used in the Mathematics Option: College Algebra, Finite Math, Pre-Calculus, or Trigonometry. These courses are not advanced level mathematics courses.
My brother is using this to complete his AOS. You need 9 "theory" credits, plus Calculus I, and 4 credits of 200+level math electives for the degree.
Calculus I (study.com) - 6cr,
Calculus II (SL)- 4 cr.,
Stats (Aleks) -3 cr,
Linear Diff Eq (EdX) - 3 cr.
Geometry (study.com) - 3 cr.
Completed: 

(09-04-2017, 05:44 PM)Flying-Ace Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 03:44 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I was actually quite surprised at how easy it was to meet the requirements for the ASNSM.  I took the CLEP College Math.  It is six credit hours and the MAT-103 counts as one of the electives.  The DSST liberal arts math counts for three of the electives as well.  My real question is whether I should do this or go for the computer science ASNSM instead.

At first glance, or when using the "What if I changed my program of study" drop down bar option from OSS, it would apprear that those lower level math options count. However, they don't. The degree is a bit more difficult than it seems. At the bottom of the ASNSM in Mathematics degree it states:
Note: The following courses are examples of the types of mathematics courses that CANNOT be used in the Mathematics Option: College Algebra, Finite Math, Pre-Calculus, or Trigonometry. These courses are not advanced level mathematics courses.
    My brother is using this to complete his AOS. You need 9 "theory" credits, plus Calculus I, and 4 credits of 200+level math electives for the degree.
Calculus I (study.com) - 6cr,
Calculus II (SL)- 4 cr.,
Stats (Aleks) -3 cr,
Linear Diff Eq (EdX) - 3 cr.
Geometry (study.com) - 3 cr.
This is an interesting issue.  I thought that what you are saying is true until I asked TESU to actually add the math ASNSM to my official degree plan.  This was just after I took the CLEP and DSST.  When everything came in, the copy/paste above is what it looked like.  This wasn't the unofficial pulldown.  It is the personalized Academic Evaluation.  Now, I suppose that it could be incorrect.  My best guess is that the requirements for the ASNSM are different than the requirements for the AOS in the bachelors degree.
It won't really matter much to me.  I have taken the geometry class at Study.com and the first EdX differential equations class.  I am just about to take the exam for the study.com calc. class to get Calc. II.  I am also going to do the shmoop geometry.  I am basically taking every easy and cheap math class that I can get my hands on.  I am kind of leaning away from the ASNSM in math at this point.  I will probably end up doing the BSBA accounting/CIS with the ASNSM computer science just because I think that it might be a better combination.  Then I can just say that I have 40 or 50 college credits in math and it won't matter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 495 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 443 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 465 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,281 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 257 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,216 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 231 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 367 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 429 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 299 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az