Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need resources for A + I Lit Essay
Ok, it's really, really difficult finding resources for the essay portion of the A+ I Lit CLEP. I guess most people don't have to take it. I'm not even sure where to begin! I read the description of the essays on the College Board website, but I can't seem to find any examples. I unfortunately got rid of my REA book as I didn't think I would need it again, so I may have to purchase another one.

If someone has taken the essay portion, what resources did you use? Did you feel the essays were pretty easy?

Thanks!
Have you tried the ModernStates course? It looks like they do cover the essay portion.
(03-19-2018, 04:18 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Have you tried the ModernStates course? It looks like they do cover the essay portion.

Thank you! I'll look into it!
Many of us took it without studying at all.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Hey Studyandpass. I took the essay portion and left a review in the specific feedback section of this website. Two things I want to recommend for this: Get good at writing quickly by hand and see if you can schedule the essay and the multiple choice section on different days. I took them both on the same day and towards the end of the day. I can't remember if I got 90 minutes on the essays? But my tests were so late in the day the proctor left and the custodian filled in for her! I am not a writer and stressed out the wazoo on this one which equaled a non-pass for me.

The multiple choice is a wiz, but you have to be good at writing a lit essay on the fly! Hope you pass! Would love to hear your experience after you take it as we do not have near enough feedback on the A & I lit essay!
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

[-] The following 1 user Likes teacher2's post:
  • rachel83az
(03-19-2018, 07:15 PM)teacher2 Wrote: Hey Studyandpass. I took the essay portion and left a review in the specific feedback section of this website. Two things I want to recommend for this: Get good at writing quickly by hand and see if you can schedule the essay and the multiple choice section on different days. I took them both on the same day and towards the end of the day. I can't remember if I got 90 minutes on the essays? But my tests were so late in the day the proctor left and the custodian filled in for her! I am not a writer and stressed out the wazoo on this one which equaled a non-pass for me.

The multiple choice is a wiz, but you have to be good at writing a lit essay on the fly! Hope you pass! Would love to hear your experience after you take it as we do not have near enough feedback on the A & I lit essay!

Thanks for the advice teacher2! I've already taken the multiple choice section, but since I switched schools, my new one needs the essay portion. Bummer, I know... 
I totally agree with you, there's not enough feedback! I've been having a hard time finding some examples of essays for this particular test. Not even the official CLEP book has one, which surprised me. I feel like I could take it cold, but I had wanted some extra practice just in case. I'll definitely be back with my feedback!
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyandpass5's post:
  • teacher2
I didn't study for it at all. It's not hard to pass so don't worry too much about it.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
Ok folks, I just took the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature Essays. Here's my feedback:

The first essay was analyzing a poem. It was a poem I was familiar with by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I felt I did ok on this part. 

The second essay was more difficult. They explained the term "coming of age", the physiological and moral changes that a young man or woman goes through. Then, they wanted me to think of a piece of literature that was a coming of age story and explain their changes throughout the story and how it "illuminates the whole story." What??? I feel like I didn't do very well on this part, but we'll see. 

Hope this helps someone!
[-] The following 3 users Like studyandpass5's post:
  • Muldoon, rachel83az, teacher2
Thanks for the feedback studyandpass! Hope your test results come back as a pass!
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

(03-23-2018, 05:50 PM)teacher2 Wrote: Thanks for the feedback studyandpass! Hope your test results come back as a pass!

Thanks teacher2! I'm hoping so too!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which essay sounds better? ChatGPT A or a Paraphrased version B? bjcheung77 5 750 08-13-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Free Language Learning Resources vetvso 20 1,424 08-01-2022, 01:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 12 2,340 03-15-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  What the New York Times College Cancel Culture Essay Gets Wrong About Censorship LevelUP 2 711 03-11-2022, 10:52 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,638 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Math study resources xicovu 3 1,548 12-26-2020, 07:14 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning resources? torin 6 1,258 11-11-2019, 04:26 PM
Last Post: natshar
  CSU and compulsive Essay/Research papers Plancked 10 1,848 10-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Bachelors in Accounting and Human Resources? Jenniferinfl 47 6,522 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Jenniferinfl
  Help Map an Undergrad with these resources. Stepeanie 10 1,881 06-10-2019, 11:20 AM
Last Post: MNomadic