Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engineering Masters with UMPI liberal studies bachelors
Thanks to the advice of the kind people on this forum, I have graduated from UMPI with a Liberal Studies bachelor's degree "MIS minor." Next, I'd like to continue onward to an engineering master's degree. I am not picky about the engineering discipline; I'm interested in anything related to engineering. I'd like to find the most "prestigious" degree available to me. I plan to use loans to pay for college, but money should not be an issue. I'd prefer an online program, but in-person is an option.

I know typically, you need an engineering undergraduate degree to get a graduate degree, but I am hoping to find a college that will make an exception for me because I already have strong engineering work experience and references. My career path has been nontraditional; I couldn't afford college out of high school, but I decided to go to college after I worked my way up the career ladder into an engineering position. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for engineering programs?
Master of Science in Electrical Engineering is the first thing that comes to mind. I myself consider this option, but I am currently to complete my Bachelor's first. There isn't much feedback available about the program, but it allows us to enroll in the first courses as non-credit courses (for the usual Coursera + subscription price if I got this right?) in order to help us determine whether we are good fit for the program.
What is your end game for your master’s degree—are you wanting to eventually become a Professional Engineer?  Do you want an engineering degree to “legitimize” you for your current position or to help with promotions, something else?

If you’d be happy with an engineering management masters, the MS in Engineering Management from Arkansas State is a tick over $10k: https://degree.astate.edu/online-program...t/masters/

University of Colorado’s Master of Engineering in Engineering Management might also be a good option, since it doesn’t have prerequisites: https://www.coursera.org/degrees/me-engi...admissions

If you want an engineering degree that is in a more traditional engineering discipline, it seems like it would be helpful to know a little bit more about what field(s) interest you. Computer vs Civil vs Biomedical engineering, for instance, are going to have vastly different prerequisites, career trajectories, etc.  If you do something like civil engineering, is a degree in biomedical or materials science going to be super helpful for you, OP?  Similarly, if you do computer work, a CS degree, while not engineering, feels like it would be more useful than an environmental engineering masters.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
Hi, If I where you I would first remove the PDF and attatch an image, as the PDF editing left your name intact and still visible.

A good tool for anonymizing info from documents is GIMP.
You need to figure out which type of engineering you want to get a master's in. Then you need to see if you have the undergrad requirements for that master's.
(09-27-2023, 02:28 PM)freeloader Wrote: What is your end game for your master’s degree—are you wanting to eventually become a Professional Engineer?  Do you want an engineering degree to “legitimize” you for your current position or to help with promotions, something else?

If you’d be happy with an engineering management masters, the MS in Engineering Management from Arkansas State is a tick over $10k: https://degree.astate.edu/online-program...t/masters/

University of Colorado’s Master of Engineering in Engineering Management might also be a good option, since it doesn’t have prerequisites: https://www.coursera.org/degrees/me-engi...admissions

If you want an engineering degree that is in a more traditional engineering discipline, it seems like it would be helpful to know a little bit more about what field(s) interest you. Computer vs Civil vs Biomedical engineering, for instance, are going to have vastly different prerequisites, career trajectories, etc.  If you do something like civil engineering, is a degree in biomedical or materials science going to be super helpful for you, OP?  Similarly, if you do computer work, a CS degree, while not engineering, feels like it would be more useful than an environmental engineering masters.

That Arkansas state degree looks interesting… I’m going to apply and try to get more information about it. Only 10k would be great. To answer your question; I’m seeking a degree both to legitimize my position and secure future promotions. A CS degree is an interesting idea, I’m going to consider it.

CU Boulder is going to be my plan B, if I can’t find anything else I’ll do that.

(09-27-2023, 04:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You need to figure out which type of engineering you want to get a master's in. Then you need to see if you have the undergrad requirements for that master's.

I’m currently employed in the manufacturing field; mechanical, electrical, and other engineering degrees could all work for me. There aren’t many manufacturing specific degree’s.
There is also the option of Industrial Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering. It sounds like one of those may be a better fit as you mentioned you are already doing engineering work in a manufacturing environment.
In Progress: 
Excelsior - BPS Business and Management
Study.com - Business 307, Sociology 305, Psychology 315
ASU - Algebra, PreCalc, Calculus
Luna - Bio2 Lab

Completed: 
Universidad Isabel I - MBA/Master Bus & Corp Comm
Kirkwood - AAS Business Administration, Certificate of Human Resources 3.8 GPA
Excelsior - AAS Applied Technologies Electronics 4.0 GPA
TADA - Google Project Management, Google Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
CSM Learn
US Navy (Electronics Tech 3rd Class) - NER-ET-004, NV-2202-0165 V02, NV-1715-1788 V01, NV-1715-1796 V01, NV-1715-1585 V01, NV-1715-1336 V02

TECEP: 9 Credits
Man-3730, OPM-3010, Bus-3110

Study.com: 6 Credits
Philosophy 301

Lawshelf: 15 Credits
BUS-201, BUS-301, BUS-302, GOV-202, EMP-301

CLEP: 48 Credits
College Math, Financial Accounting, Principles of Micro & Macroeconomics, Intro Sociology, Intro Psychology, Analyze and Interpreting Literature, Intro Business Law, Principles of Marketing, Biology, US History 1 & 2, Humanities

DSST: 9 Credits
Principles of Public Speaking, Ethics in America, Principles of Supervision
And if you want to break it down a bit more, there are Engineering Technology programs too, these are not Engineering per say, but somewhat related if you desire to go into a similar field...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-27-2023, 01:38 PM)tmikula Wrote: Thanks to the advice of the kind people on this forum, I have graduated from UMPI with a Liberal Studies bachelor's degree "MIS minor." Next, I'd like to continue onward to an engineering master's degree. I am not picky about the engineering discipline; I'm interested in anything related to engineering. I'd like to find the most "prestigious" degree available to me. I plan to use loans to pay for college, but money should not be an issue. I'd prefer an online program, but in-person is an option.

I know typically, you need an engineering undergraduate degree to get a graduate degree, but I am hoping to find a college that will make an exception for me because I already have strong engineering work experience and references. My career path has been nontraditional; I couldn't afford college out of high school, but I decided to go to college after I worked my way up the career ladder into an engineering position. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for engineering programs?

For many engineering programs you likely will have to take prerequisite courses like calculus, physics, chemistry, and possibly introductory engineering classes as well like circuits, statics, etc if you did not take engineering as an undergrad. It is a bit more work, but I knew people who did it by taking these classes at community college and transferring them into a grad program. I believe they got an AS in engineering or physics or something to cover the introductory courses at their local community college and had some work experience that helped them get in. You be able to take alot of these courses online as well and transfer them to get an associates or just use the credit to show you have the competency. 

To my knowledge you need to have these courses to get into programs aside from the limited major specific exceptions (biology majors may be admitted to some graduate biological engineering, physics to electrical, etc). 

Either way, taking these classes before getting your masters will be a good way to show admissions you are serious and make you more competitive alongside those with engineering bachelors. Best of luck!
[-] The following 1 user Likes NotJoeBiden's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Masters in Computer Science + thesis? swellguy 1 238 05-04-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 8 1,499 05-01-2024, 08:48 PM
  CU Boulder Masters on Coursera spohara 15 5,315 04-30-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: spohara
  ENEB to UK top up masters possible? Atoshi 1 290 04-23-2024, 11:21 AM
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 831 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 639 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 828 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,972 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 452 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,528 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda