Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New excelsior plan?
(06-09-2018, 10:28 PM)miah Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 11:37 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 10:51 AM)sony732 Wrote: I thought they were the only ones that would take all credits except the capstone.

TESU will as well - they both take 117cr.  COSC will take all credits except the capstone and cornerstone (so 114cr).

Just curious... I thought I read that TESU charges higher tuition for out of state students? is that true?

Yes, but it's only for a single course.  So, what state do you live in?  That might make a difference but it might not.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-09-2018, 10:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 10:51 AM)sony732 Wrote: I thought they were the only ones that would take all credits except the capstone.

TESU will as well - they both take 117cr.  COSC will take all credits except the capstone and cornerstone (so 114cr).

Just curious... I thought I read that TESU charges higher tuition for out of state students? is that true?

Yes, but it's only for a single course.  So, what state do you live in?  That might make a difference but it might not.

NY currently

True.  But it doesn't add up to a ton overall, since it's just 1 course.  The difference is $309 for the course, although if you get the Study.com discount before 6/30/18, then it's even better discounted than that, and the price is the same for in-state and out-of-state.

On the flip side, EC doesn't charge higher for out-of-state tuition.  Most private colleges don't BTW.  So even though you live in NY, there's no benefit to going to EC, except for possibly name-recognition (and that could be good or bad depending).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-24-2018, 08:53 AM)sony732 Wrote: Would CLEP be the best decision then as far as time frame and acceptance goes? I'm sort of New to this concept, and I work full time in between doctors appointments and surgical procedures, so I'd love the fastest roadmap, hopefully cost efficient also.  I'm usually very good at studying for tests especially under pressure. I was attracted to the Saylor courses Because i can do them with pretty much no planning from home on demand

CLEP is more widely accepted than ACE, but if you know you're going to graduate from a school that takes ACE, it's not necessary to do CLEP which requires going to a test center.

CLEP, however, is good because you can get them free through Modern States. So, $0 per credit assuming you pass.

However, Saylor is very cheap as you probably know. Study.com also gives 18 credits for free if you get the Guardian scholarship which most of us do. Saylor and Study.com are ACE. Straighterline is also a relatively cheap ACE source. For Straighterline and Study.com, you also take the exams online.

(06-10-2018, 03:18 AM)Ideas Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 08:53 AM)sony732 Wrote: Would CLEP be the best decision then as far as time frame and acceptance goes? I'm sort of New to this concept, and I work full time in between doctors appointments and surgical procedures, so I'd love the fastest roadmap, hopefully cost efficient also.  I'm usually very good at studying for tests especially under pressure. I was attracted to the Saylor courses Because i can do them with pretty much no planning from home on demand

CLEP is more widely accepted than ACE, but if you know you're going to graduate from a school that takes ACE, it's not necessary to do CLEP which requires going to a test center.

CLEP, however, is good because you can get them free through Modern States. So, $0 per credit assuming you pass.

However, Saylor is very cheap as you probably know. Study.com also gives 18 credits for free if you get the Guardian scholarship which most of us do. Saylor and Study.com are ACE. Straighterline is also a relatively cheap ACE source. For Straighterline and Study.com, you also take the exams online.

Thank you for the information. ps- Where can the information related to the Guardian scholarship be found?

(05-25-2018, 05:01 PM)davewill Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 07:57 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Excelsior college will count many DSST as UL.  TESU will not.  Not sure about COSC.

Look at all three.  They are NOT the same.
Of course, Excelsior requires many more UL courses than TESU in the first place. As Dfrecore says, you have to analyze your specific situation.

Just want to clarify. It sounds like you are saying that TESU does not require as many upper level credits to earn a bachelor degree through them while EC does. Am I understanding that correctly? Which would be similar to most other RA bachelor degree programs as they usually have a required minimum UL requirement; which is what slowed down my kiddo in a traditional RA degree program from a traditional college. They didn't advise properly and it resulted in taking extra courses that resulted in extra semesters. So frustrating!
(06-10-2018, 08:16 AM)miah Wrote: Just want to clarify. It sounds like you are saying that TESU does not require as many upper level credits to earn a bachelor degree through them while EC does. Am I understanding that correctly? Which would be similar to most other RA bachelor degree programs as they usually have a required minimum UL requirement; which is what slowed down my kiddo in a traditional RA degree program from a traditional college. They didn't advise properly and it resulted in taking extra courses that resulted in extra semesters. So frustrating!
Yes, they require something like 30 UL credits total while TESU typically requires 18 UL credits, 15 in the AOS plus the capstone.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-24-2018, 10:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 07:57 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Excelsior college will count many DSST as UL.  TESU will not.  Not sure about COSC.

This is not at all true!

TESU will bring in all UL (per ACE) exams as UL except Intro to Law Enforcement and Civil War, PLUS they will bring in exams that are NOT ACE-approved as UL for 5 additional courses (Business Ethics & Society, Human Resource Management, Organizational Behavior, Principles of Finance, and Management Information Systems).

This may all change as TESU undergoes an analysis of ACE/NCCRS courses (they look to be aligning much more closely with ACE than they have previously), but at this point in time, you're much better off at TESU if you want to take DSST exams than EC or COSC.

Which DSST exams does TESU bring in as UL?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(06-10-2018, 10:59 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 10:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

This is not at all true!

TESU will bring in all UL (per ACE) exams as UL except Intro to Law Enforcement and Civil War, PLUS they will bring in exams that are NOT ACE-approved as UL for 5 additional courses (Business Ethics & Society, Human Resource Management, Organizational Behavior, Principles of Finance, and Management Information Systems).

This may all change as TESU undergoes an analysis of ACE/NCCRS courses (they look to be aligning much more closely with ACE than they have previously), but at this point in time, you're much better off at TESU if you want to take DSST exams than EC or COSC.

Which DSST exams does TESU bring in as UL?

I just listed ^^ 5 that will come in as UL, plus Money & Banking, Substance Abuse, Vietnam War, Soviet Union, and Cybersecurity.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Roughly, half a dozen DSST come in as UL as per their webpage: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/dsst
For CLEP equivalency, see here: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lewis.Yim's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(06-10-2018, 11:52 AM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: Roughly, half a dozen DSST come in as UL as per their webpage: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/dsst
For CLEP equivalency, see here: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program

Looks like they've recently updated their list and downgraded some courses!  Bummer.

So UL DSST's:
Business Ethics and Society (BUS-302) - can be used in BSBA or BALS AOS
Money & Banking (ECO-332) - can be used in BSBA or BALS AOS
Substance Abuse (SOS-303) - BALS AOS
A History of the Vietnam War (HIS-351) - BALS AOS
History of the Soviet Union (HIS-386) - BALS AOS
Fundamentals of Cybersecurity (CIS-344) - can be used in BSBA or BALS AOS
Organizational Behavior (PSY-361 or MAN-212) - UL as Psych course, LL as BSBA course???

Former UL DSST's that have been downgraded:
Human Resource Management
Org Behavior as a business course (?)
Principles of Finance
Management Info Systems
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,345 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,872 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,778 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,326 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,688 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,923 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
  TESU BA in History Plan - Critiques? mysonx3 4 2,145 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA ckndinner 3 1,692 08-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Last Post: prolific_change
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies PBenitez 14 3,506 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM
  New Member - Need Assistance With TESU Psychology Plan joshyjosh 7 2,222 08-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77