Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here - Looking to upgrade to a degree (Canadian resident)
So I sent my course syllabus in for my college English course I had taken at a B&M college years ago and supposedly it wasn't accepted for English composition, even though the syllabus is basically the same as what I see on SDC for their English Composition 1 course. I don't understand....

Also, if it doesn't qualify for English Composition, then it should at least count as a GenEd course, as my unrelated writing courses did! I don't understand their logic.

This is really frustrating to have to waste time/money re-taking something that has clearly already been completed.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
My previous B&M course for English comp has now been accepted, after it was previously denied, because the adviser was looking at other course descriptions I had included in the email and missed this specific one entirely.

So now I wasted time/money completing English Comp 1 at SL, when it wasn't necessary.
I am going to end up having duplicate courses now, unless they can move it to one of the other categories, otherwise I am short a course, which could have been paid for and completed in the time I took to complete English Comp 1.
Credits:
Try not to let it get you down. Very few people get through without "wasting" some credits someplace.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-16-2018, 03:11 PM)davewill Wrote: Try not to let it get you down. Very few people get through without "wasting" some credits someplace.

I am fine with courses not going towards certain areas of study that I had previously completed (or the free courses I took), but when I am paying for a course based on their incompetence, it's another matter...
Credits:
What did the English course number come in as? If it's not Eng Comp 101 or 102, it will go someplace such as gen ed or LL requirements for the AOS. If it's Eng Comp 101 or 102, then you have a duplicate that won't go anywhere but the "other field".
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-16-2018, 07:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: What did the English course number come in as?  If it's not Eng Comp 101 or 102, it will go someplace such as gen ed or LL requirements for the AOS.  If it's Eng Comp 101 or 102, then you have a duplicate that won't go anywhere but the "other field".

It's in English Comp 1 now. It was missing on my eval entirely when it was first populated. I called in and inquired about it being "missing" and then it was placed in the "other field" because they wanted more info on it.
I sent the syllabus for it, plus 2 for my other writing courses that were already accepted (I wanted to see if they would fit in English Comp 1/2 as well, but I knew those 2 were a long shot).

The adviser sent them to the dean, said it wasn't approved. It made no sense to me, so I kept emailing because I had sent the syllabus and it looked pretty close to me. She said the dean didn't approve it for English comp.
I kept emailing because if it's not accepted for English Comp, then why isn't it at least accepted somewhere else on my eval, as my other 2 writing courses were? Why would I get zero credit???

It turns out she didn't send the syllabus for my college English course! She forwarded the other 2 only. She didn't read the email properly or the subject line. I don't know how she sent 2, but missed 1, everything was labelled and spelled out in the email.

I basically paid $105 cad for that SL course and now it duplicates because of her. I still need an extra course because I thought at the very least, it's going to go to human cultures or somewhere else on the eval.
Credits:
(10-16-2018, 07:59 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: ...
It turns out she didn't send the syllabus for my college English course! She forwarded the other 2 only. She didn't read the email properly or the subject line. I don't know how she sent 2, but missed 1, everything was labelled and spelled out in the email.

This is why we always say to ask only one thing at a time. Advising seems to always drop the ball if you give them more than one thing to think about. "If this, then that" is also too much to expect, sadly.

Yes, it seems stupid to have to treat them like that, but we've seen it time and again.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-16-2018, 10:03 PM)davewill Wrote: This is why we always say to ask only one thing at a time. Advising seems to always drop the ball if you give them more than one thing to think about. "If this, then that" is also too much to expect, sadly.

Yes, it seems stupid to have to treat them like that, but we've seen it time and again.

Yes, I agree. I wish I had just sent the one document.

Pretty sad though. It was a rather short and non-complicated email, sending them what they were looking for and asking if the other 2 could also be considered.
Credits:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 26 307 34 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 118 6 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 265 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,847 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 171 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 947 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 558 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 238 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM