Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to UMPI - PLS HELP!!
Hey everyone!

New to UMPI and will be starting soon but I'm super confused on a few things. Sent some emails but didn't get any answers so far. Been a few weeks and am panicking, pls help!

1) What are the General Education (GenEd) requirements for the YourPace/online only UMPI programs? Is it the same for all majors?

When applying someone sent me a list that says ALL YOURPACE students but it shows codes Mat 140 Math for Business One of the following: Geo 100, Soc 100 IS MAT 140 REQUIRED FOR EVERYONE IN YOURPACE? Super nervous haven't done math for years. Tysm guys!  Where do you find GLO2A, GLO3B etc. that's on the forums and which courses fit in each? Can't find this list anywhere and I'm nervous my courses won't match the right category. Thx! I was told the UMPI website ones aren't yourpace.

2) If I take courses from Sophia/Study.com etc. how would it look on my UMPI transcript? Does the grade appear?

3) How do you calculate GPA? E.g. what grades/% are an A+, A, A-, etc. and the values for each e.g. 90-95% = A = 4.0 etc. Thx!

4) Which classes are offered each term for YourPace? When applying the girl said all  req. are available each term for YourPace but I can't find a list of these online anywhere. Pls help!
1. As I understand it, the GEC requirements are largely the same. IIRC, BABA students may be able to get away with using Math for Business (which is a BABA requirement) in the GEC. But Sophia's Algebra is pretty fast/easy, so I don't think anyone has tried this in a while. If you're not doing a BABA, just do Sophia Algebra. If you are doing a BABA, do Sophia Algebra. MAT 140 is actually supposed to be easier, so it'll prepare you for the UMPI course.

2. They used to show grades for SDC/Sophia, but they no longer do. It only shows that you passed the class. A future grad school might want Sophia/SDC grades, in which you'd send the Sophia/SDC transcripts separately.

3. UMPI's GPA is calculated solely based on classes completed at UMPI. If you're looking to calculate a cumulative GPA that includes both UMPI and SDC/Sophia, that's trickier. Broadly speaking, 70-80% would be a C. 80-90% would be a B. 90-100% would be an A. C = 2.0, B = 3.0, A = 4.0. If you really, really care, there are GPA calculators online that will show you a GPA based on the values that you input.

4. Check out the UMPI degree plans here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI All YourPace classes are offered every term. The degree plans show most, if not all, classes that are available on YourPace. Not every class is relevant to every degree, however.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-12-2023, 03:39 PM)natureluv Wrote: Hey everyone!

New to UMPI and will be starting soon but I'm super confused on a few things. Sent some emails but didn't get any answers so far. Been a few weeks and am panicking, pls help!

1) What are the General Education (GenEd) requirements for the YourPace/online only UMPI programs? Is it the same for all majors?

When applying someone sent me a list that says ALL YOURPACE students but it shows codes Mat 140 Math for Business One of the following: Geo 100, Soc 100 IS MAT 140 REQUIRED FOR EVERYONE IN YOURPACE? Super nervous haven't done math for years. Tysm guys!  Where do you find GLO2A, GLO3B etc. that's on the forums and which courses fit in each? Can't find this list anywhere and I'm nervous my courses won't match the right category. Thx! I was told the UMPI website ones aren't yourpace.

2) If I take courses from Sophia/Study.com etc. how would it look on my UMPI transcript? Does the grade appear?

3) How do you calculate GPA? E.g. what grades/% are an A+, A, A-, etc. and the values for each e.g. 90-95% = A = 4.0 etc. Thx!

4) Which classes are offered each term for YourPace? When applying the girl said all  req. are available each term for YourPace but I can't find a list of these online anywhere. Pls help!

MAT 140 is easy. I am no math whiz, and it was even easy for me. By far, the hardest formula in the course is the quadratic equation.
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

The overall GEC is the same for all majors. However, some BABA degrees require MAT140 which is a very easy math course. Don't stress! 

Transferred courses don't show grades. They show as transferred. 

GPA's only include courses completed at UMPI. A = 4.0 like other schools. 

You need to ask your academic advisor what courses are available for your degree. There is not a list of what is available on YourPace. Every degree has its own unique requirements. You'll work with your academic advisor to figure out your schedule.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
(04-12-2023, 07:22 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

The overall GEC is the same for all majors. However, some BABA degrees require MAT140 which is a very easy math course. Don't stress! 

Transferred courses don't show grades. They show as transferred. 

GPA's only include courses completed at UMPI. A = 4.0 like other schools. 

You need to ask your academic advisor what courses are available for your degree. There is not a list of what is available on YourPace. Every degree has its own unique requirements. You'll work with your academic advisor to figure out your schedule.

Messaged you!
@natureluv, Welcome to the board, that's a quick, short and sweet post, just curious - have you decided on a degree program from UMPI YourPace?  I usually recommend providing more details on what degree you're going for and what courses (if any) you're bringing in... Have you had the chance to take a look at some forum posts or the WIKI for UMPI?  In addition to asking questions, it may also be beneficial to fill in the template/last post addendum here to give us an overview of what scenario or situation you're in: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Infinite-Telephone52
(04-12-2023, 03:58 PM)rachel83az Wrote: 1. As I understand it, the GEC requirements are largely the same. IIRC, BABA students may be able to get away with using Math for Business (which is a BABA requirement) in the GEC. But Sophia's Algebra is pretty fast/easy, so I don't think anyone has tried this in a while. If you're not doing a BABA, just do Sophia Algebra. If you are doing a BABA, do Sophia Algebra. MAT 140 is actually supposed to be easier, so it'll prepare you for the UMPI course.

2. They used to show grades for SDC/Sophia, but they no longer do. It only shows that you passed the class. A future grad school might want Sophia/SDC grades, in which you'd send the Sophia/SDC transcripts separately.

3. UMPI's GPA is calculated solely based on classes completed at UMPI. If you're looking to calculate a cumulative GPA that includes both UMPI and SDC/Sophia, that's trickier. Broadly speaking, 70-80% would be a C. 80-90% would be a B. 90-100% would be an A. C = 2.0, B = 3.0, A = 4.0. If you really, really care, there are GPA calculators online that will show you a GPA based on the values that you input.

4. Check out the UMPI degree plans here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI All YourPace classes are offered every term. The degree plans show most, if not all, classes that are available on YourPace. Not every class is relevant to every degree, however.

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and don't know how to do a new post in this exact area.  My question is how do I know which courses I can CLEP out of at UMPI; and, can I transfer in Sophia courses as I go?
@DolceDolce, you should review this thread and post of mine: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-education
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • DolceDolce, Infinite-Telephone52
(05-26-2023, 12:51 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: My question is how do I know which courses I can CLEP out of at UMPI

There is a CLEP list here: clep-exams-accepted-for-cbe-credit.pdf (umpi.edu) and here: University of Maine at Presque Isle - CLEP College Credit Policy (collegeboard.org) I'm not sure if they're precisely up to date or in agreement, though.

In case you're not aware, CLEP is free through Modern States.

(05-26-2023, 12:51 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: can I transfer in Sophia courses as I go?

Yes, you can transfer as you go, with permission from your advisor, which almost certainly will be granted. However, it's generally best to complete everything beforehand so that you can focus on UMPI work while you're on the tuition clock.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(05-26-2023, 12:51 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: Hello, I'm new to the forum, and don't know how to do a new post in this exact area.  My question is how do I know which courses I can CLEP out of at UMPI; and, can I transfer in Sophia courses as I go?

Yes you can take CLEP exams. They're not a piece of cake for everyone as the online proctoring is a nightmare. The in person testing sites haven't all reopened since Covid. Who knows if they ever will at this point? I know locally most of them haven't reopened so I'm thinking they won't. 

This link shows you which CLEP transfers in for the GEC and the business courses.

https://www.umpi.edu/wp-content/uploads/...credit.pdf

This link shows you all of the CLEP exams UMPI accepts, the minimum score needed, and what it transfers in as.

https://mycampus.maine.edu/c/document_li...pId=223854

You can use Sophia to fulfill almost the entire GEC and a few business courses. UMPI has allowed additional transfer credit in the past. You needed to email your academic advisor to let them know you are taking the course and get their permission to transfer it in when you're complete.

This link shows you which Sophia courses can be utilized to fulfill the GEC.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...hia--43586
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 153 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 144 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 46 4,311 03-25-2024, 08:54 PM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 204 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 840 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 256 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,344 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 198 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87
  UL Courses Outside of UMPI - Fast CCCollege 7 931 03-11-2024, 10:46 AM
  AI in UMPI him22 16 1,248 03-09-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Ares