Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Healthcare adminstration
Hello, I am currently a medic working on my first degree, AA in liberal arts at a local college. Does anyone have any info regarding a BS in Healthcare Adminstration? Any advice on good schools, schools through goarmyed.com, and what jobs the military offers for someone with that degree? I'm more interested in Reserve or NG if possible. Does anybody else have this degree or plan to pursue it? Just curious, having a hard time getting advice/feedback from others. Thank you.
Hi cvigus,

I finished my B.S. in HCA a few months ago with Columbia Southern, and immediately started on an MBA-HCA last month with NCU. Columbia Southern University (CSU) was extremely military-friendly for several reasons, which I won't bore you with. If you would like to know, I'm more than willing to tell you. As far as civilian experience with what the degree can do for you, I could not begin to tell you. On the military side of things, it can do quite a bit, depending on your situation and where you want it to take you.

This degree is one of the few that qualifies you, in the Army, for a position as a healthcare administrative assistant (this is a direct commission position). Later in your career, you would hit a point where you must either specialize in an area such as financial, human resources, etc. I'm currently Active Army, and so far, it has opened a few doors as far as networking purposes and respect from others; however, there have not been any active-duty slots for direct commission healthcare administrators for a few years. I actually just talked with a recruiter a few weeks ago about fiscal year 13 possibilities, and there are none.

Remember, that is active duty. The recruiter did advise me that there have been historically 80 or so positions each year in the Army Reserve, spread out all over. If I was close to getting out, that would be a possibility. On a side-note, the Navy also has a slight demand for healthcare administrators, but they want the recruit to have either an MBA or MHA accredited by the AACSB or CAHME. There's also a program that the Navy has where they will pay for you to go to school to receive such a degree (definitely worth looking into). Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.
NCU MBA-HCA (July 2013)
B.P.S. in Business & Management - Excelsior (End of 2012)
B.S. in Health Care Administration - Columbia Southern University (May 2012)
A.A.S. in Business - Columbia Southern University (February 2012)
AHA BLS Instructor
I did a BS in Health Sciences with a focus in Management through Excelsior then did my MHA at Bellevue University. I used the CAHME and AUPHA websites to find accredited programs. I teach at the college level, so I had to choose an RA program as well. I do know that both schools are very military friendly. I also know that many military members choose go for an MPH as this opens up more doors with other government agencies. Since healthcare is such a hot job market right now many schools are now offering MHA programs or MBA-HCA programs so be careful as many programs are not reputable. I do have a friend that worked for a large teaching hospital locally and when she got her MBA-HCA from U of P they refused to promote her, as they wanted someone with an MHA, so make sure you look at the jobs you want to do and find out what their specific requirements are, that is the best way to ensure success after school.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
I agree; definitely base your immediate and intermediate goals off of your long-term ones. I just noticed that you said you were already a 68W. I know you guys get a lot of credit from your AARTS Transcript; have you thought about going ahead towards a BS/BA and bypassing the AS/AA? For example, I started my BS with 39 credits already from AARTS; if I was pursuing an AS, they would have granted a lot less credit due to having less room for electives. Also, have you given any thought to the PA program? That way, you can take just 60 credits and turn it into a BS/MS in just a little over two years.
NCU MBA-HCA (July 2013)
B.P.S. in Business & Management - Excelsior (End of 2012)
B.S. in Health Care Administration - Columbia Southern University (May 2012)
A.A.S. in Business - Columbia Southern University (February 2012)
AHA BLS Instructor
Hello I'm new here, I'm in search of information regarding the clep exams freshman comp with essay and English literature I think it?s A and I as well as the dsst here's to your health. If you could provide me with any advice or study practices I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Shardaye
How you get that much credit from ATTRS? I would like to do the same.....