Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Traditional Law school route.
(08-17-2023, 07:41 AM)AlvinG Wrote: With degree in hand I received a request today (after reaching out) to send in my official transcripts from Pierpont.

NWCU is going to reevaluate my application *free of charge** and see if they can accept me into their Cal-bar accredited Law School.

I’ve also recently been thinking about pivoting towards the WGU MBA Information Technology.
I’d then do 3-4 programming certificates through Georgia Tech, and then apply for the OMSCS. All in $32,000 combined for a JD, MBA, MSCS.

I will update this thread the moment I find out if NWCU accepts the degree awarded transcript. It’s only $7 worst case scenario.
I find it conflicting, because they mention they don’t accept A.A.S degrees, but do accept 60 credit hours for entry into the program. I wonder if because it’s considered 60 credit hours within an A.A.S if that’ll be their reason for denial? We shall find out.
If I had to guess about AAS lack of acceptability, it would be because that degree is often (though certainly not always) awarded for vocational and technical studies. An AAS in a field like aviation maintenance or electrical technology could be an awesome education and open up some in-demand and lucrative career options, but it probably wouldn’t provide the type of preparation that would make you a good candidate for law school. By requiring 60 college credits, the school can pick and chose what they accept (say the Gen Ed portion of the AAS but not vocational/technical courses applied to the degree).
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(08-17-2023, 08:06 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(08-17-2023, 07:41 AM)AlvinG Wrote: With degree in hand I received a request today (after reaching out) to send in my official transcripts from Pierpont.

NWCU is going to reevaluate my application *free of charge** and see if they can accept me into their Cal-bar accredited Law School.

I’ve also recently been thinking about pivoting towards the WGU MBA Information Technology.
I’d then do 3-4 programming certificates through Georgia Tech, and then apply for the OMSCS. All in $32,000 combined for a JD, MBA, MSCS.

I will update this thread the moment I find out if NWCU accepts the degree awarded transcript. It’s only $7 worst case scenario.
I find it conflicting, because they mention they don’t accept A.A.S degrees, but do accept 60 credit hours for entry into the program. I wonder if because it’s considered 60 credit hours within an A.A.S if that’ll be their reason for denial? We shall find out.
If I had to guess about AAS lack of acceptability, it would be because that degree is often (though certainly not always) awarded for vocational and technical studies. An AAS in a field like aviation maintenance or electrical technology could be an awesome education and open up some in-demand and lucrative career options, but it probably wouldn’t provide the type of preparation that would make you a good candidate for law school. By requiring 60 college credits, the school can pick and chose what they accept (say the Gen Ed portion of the AAS but not vocational/technical courses applied to the degree).

I think it’s a California State requirement more than anything, because a person can transfer in 90 ACE credits to umpi, and do only 30 RA for a bachelor’s and walk right in. Same thing with Tesu (113-114 credits ace) and meet eligibility due to bachelors.

I’m thinking because these are now on an actual transcript, they’ll be “good enough.”  There’s no difference in proof of an AAS with Ace vs a bachelors with ACE, and they require transcripts for both which largely shows the same thing. 

Now the real question, does anyone know what happens if in your 2nd or 3rd year a school loses state accreditation in Cali? Does everyone then have to take the baby bar anyways???
Edit: I’m so insanely impressed with UMPI. They’ve went above and beyond my expectations. Got me in, under a month, got fafsa finalized within 4 days. Jessica has even went as far as putting “transferring into school” on courses which need to be completed, but can be completed through Sophia. Like, goodness. They are seriously a fantastic school.
For courses that i need to take at UMPI, it’ll be 12 total after my sophia courses!
Jessica has even made sure to enroll me into the courses around the Sophia!!! Like wow, GRADE A++

Thank you all for recommending, especially you BJ and Rachel!
[-] The following 2 users Like AlvinG's post:
  • neilsf, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 8 662 04-10-2024, 11:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 23 1,798 04-01-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: quanticmba
  Feedback on Paris Business School absamer 5 342 03-12-2024, 06:23 PM
  Route Planning KagomeH 3 288 02-28-2024, 08:04 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Help finding a school and degree plan bleedingpurple 39 3,475 12-29-2023, 12:14 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Hi! Prospective law school student. Need 30-ish credits to graduate within 6 months. CaughtInTheRye12 23 1,794 12-28-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Help for Daughter w/ Choosing School/Degree/Degree Plan MaMichelle 4 535 11-21-2023, 12:56 PM
  Has anyone used AP credits from high school on transfering to the big three? smtGate 4 411 11-19-2023, 10:46 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Getting into a traditional PHD program after degree hacking? deuil 7 1,043 11-04-2023, 11:58 AM
  Which bachelors/school to attend? Degree Plan Help scorpioninlife 9 805 10-31-2023, 10:57 AM