Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern Arizona versus WGU
Hi all:

I'm currently in the process of comparing and researching both colleges and I'm interested in the following grad degrees:

Northern Arizona: Masters in Computer Information Technology specialty: project management

WGU: Masters in ITM or Masters in MBA in ITM

I've obtained my BS from WGU IT college and looking for a master's degree in the non-IT field.

Since I already attended WGU, I already know a lot about them but don't know anything about NA.

how can one compare NA to WGU?

Thnx
I don’t think anyone active on the forum did the program, I got in NAU MCIT and had a chance to explore the program. You should be able to see my finding searching the history on this forum (sorry on phone).

TLDR much more essays at NAU than WGU.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(05-07-2020, 05:15 PM)posabsolute Wrote: I don’t think anyone active on the forum did the program, I got in NAU MCIT and had a chance to explore the program. You should be able to see my finding searching the history on this forum (sorry on phone).

TLDR much more essays at NAU than WGU.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

How were the projects? 

I'm fine with doing more essays and I am looking into competency-based/self-paced programs in IT/CS aside from WGU to begin in a few months. I'd like to do both an MBA at a B&M since my current employer is paying for it, or the online MS in Cybersecurity from Georgia Tech, but I don't think I'll start that until Fall 2021 since both those options would take 2 or more years. 

However, the only applicable WGU program would be the MSCIA, but not really interested in the certs they offer. Plus that would be a bit redundant if I pursue the MS in Cybersecurity later, I think...or would the MCIT be redundant too? I was looking for a program that would take 6-12 months to complete and it fits the bill for the most part!
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
Thread -> https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...r-6-months

I withdrew so I never completed one of the projects.

NAU MCIT is interesting in some ways but I think it's a very specific niche, it is totally self-paced but requires much, much more work than WGU courses, in return, you get an "automatic" A.

As for having the MCIT as a second master, personally I feel it would be redundant in both cases you enumerated, especially considering your bachelors, but that's just my personal opinion.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(05-11-2020, 09:02 PM)posabsolute Wrote: Thread -> https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...r-6-months

I withdrew so I never completed one of the projects.

NAU MCIT is interesting in some ways but I think it's a very specific niche, it is totally self-paced but requires much, much more work than WGU courses, in return, you get an "automatic" A.

As for having the MCIT as a second master, personally I feel it would be redundant in both cases you enumerated, especially considering your bachelors, but that's just my personal opinion.
Fair point... I don’t think that the MCIT with an emphasis in InfoSec overlaps too much with my degrees though. It relates more closely to my job role at the moment, as I am responsible for security governance at a healthcare company. 

After doing a bit more research, I’m thinking of applying for the Georgia Tech OMSCS with a concentration in Computing Systems, since many of the electives are relevant to the field of Cybersecurity anyway. End goal is to become a Security Architect or a similar role, and then more up the corporate hierarchy as a CISO or CTO or something. But I may just be too optimistic right now  Tongue

$3k every 6 months honestly isn’t too bad, and I kinda prefer doing assignments over exams. Which is why I’m strongly considering the program. I think I just want the Master’s designation before committing to a more lengthy program  Blush
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Arizona Msc in Data Science 11k USD nyvrem 3 1,053 06-15-2022, 12:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Upgrad/U of Arizona | New offering! MS Data Science bjcheung77 2 1,249 08-24-2021, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Northern Arizona University? ChilliDawg 13 3,789 09-24-2019, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ChilliDawg
  Arizona Masters in MIS tsimmns 4 1,347 06-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Last Post: tsimmns