Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now that TESC costs more, anyone looking into Hodges?
I've seen multiple members getting the pell grant and getting into Hodges free, which means a free Bachelors.

Looks like they accept Straighterline and lenient with credits, so I could practically do everything fast and free with full pell grant. Anyone in Hodges right now?

I was thinking of doing Hodges (Cyber security or CIT) or continue the path to TESC BSBA CIS then Hodges for their masters program for 3k as pell grants don't apply for graduates.

Asking because all the info on hodges is years old.

Computer Information Technology
Computer Networking
Cybersecurity and Forensics
Digital Design and Graphics
Software Development

UPOWER - Self-Paced Learning | Hodges University
inf Wrote:I've seen multiple members getting the pell grant and getting into Hodges free, which means a free Bachelors.

Looks like they accept Straighterline and lenient with credits, so I could practically do everything fast and free with full pell grant. Anyone in Hodges right now?

I was thinking of doing Hodges (Cyber security or CIT) or continue the path to TESC BSBA CIS then Hodges for their masters program for 3k as pell grants don't apply for graduates.

Asking because all the info on hodges is years old.

Computer Information Technology
Computer Networking
Cybersecurity and Forensics
Digital Design and Graphics
Software Development

UPOWER - Self-Paced Learning | Hodges University

I think it depends on what the potential student is looking for. The original Per Credit Tuition Plan had only been around for two or three years. Before that, most people wanting to test out would pay a $3,000 enrollment fee under the Enrolled Options Plan. So, I don't think the $2,000 residency waiver fee is going to deter many people who wouldn't have been deterred years earlier.

Hodges sounds like a great option for those who want a competency-based program. They're cheap when you're able to work quickly. If you want to work very slowly, though, then competency-based programs can be a lot more expensive than testing out.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I think it depends on what the potential student is looking for. The original Per Credit Tuition Plan had only been around for two or three years. Before that, most people wanting to test out would pay a $3,000 enrollment fee under the Enrolled Options Plan. So, I don't think the $2,000 residency waiver fee is going to deter many people who wouldn't have been deterred years earlier.

Hodges sounds like a great option for those who want a competency-based program. They're cheap when you're able to work quickly. If you want to work very slowly, though, then competency-based programs can be a lot more expensive than testing out.

thanks for the reply. Do you know if TESC will change their test-out plans like they did last year ? For July 1, 2016 (tomorrow)? I was planning on registering today before the July 1 deadline (if there is a new change this year), but if not, I will wait it out to decide to either go tesc or hodges.
inf Wrote:thanks for the reply. Do you know if TESC will change their test-out plans like they did last year ? For July 1, 2016 (tomorrow)? I was planning on registering today before the July 1 deadline (if there is a new change this year), but if not, I will wait it out to decide to either go tesc or hodges.

A lot of times in the past, they started posting things they were going to change before July 1, and this year, they made a bunch of changes on April 1 - so I'm thinking that may have been the end of changes for the year. But then again, I could be wrong...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
sanantone Wrote:Before that, most people wanting to test out would pay a $3,000 enrollment fee under the Enrolled Options Plan. So, I don't think the $2,000 residency waiver fee is going to deter many people who wouldn't have been deterred years earlier.

I would generally agree with this, however I will say that if TESU had not put the per credit residency into effect... I would not have been able to start back to working on my degree. At the time I wouldn't have been able to pull together $2k, I was initially working on next to nothing.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Hodges is work if you don't pass the initial assessment. and some of the classes I absolutely dread. It doesn't help that life kept getting in the way, but I am nearly done with my first subscription and I am scrambling to finish courses. Still quicker then community college but I am very annoyed with myself.

I am hoping to knock out 20 worth of credits by the end of July. :puke: If I can do that then I will be happy with where I am at.
yb1 Wrote:Hodges is work if you don't pass the initial assessment. and some of the classes I absolutely dread. It doesn't help that life kept getting in the way, but I am nearly done with my first subscription and I am scrambling to finish courses. Still quicker then community college but I am very annoyed with myself.

I am hoping to knock out 20 worth of credits by the end of July. :puke: If I can do that then I will be happy with where I am at.

I'd be interested in hearing about the process. Are you doing a graduate degree or undergrad?
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
SweetSecret Wrote:I would generally agree with this, however I will say that if TESU had not put the per credit residency into effect... I would not have been able to start back to working on my degree. At the time I wouldn't have been able to pull together $2k, I was initially working on next to nothing.

You would fall into the category of people who would have been deterred by the Enrolled Options Plan which was around longer. The types of students who didn't mind paying the $3,000 won't mind paying $2,000.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:You would fall into the category of people who would have been deterred by the Enrolled Options Plan which was around longer. The types of students who didn't mind paying the $3,000 won't mind paying $2,000.

Exactly. I really wish they would keep the PPC plan w/ residency, or at least make it something students could individually petition for in extreme circumstances. I know so many other people who could have been helped by it.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
SweetSecret Wrote:Exactly. I really wish they would keep the PPC plan w/ residency, or at least make it something students could individually petition for in extreme circumstances. I know so many other people who could have been helped by it.
Well, technically they did, they just made TECEPs, ePacks, and PLAs no longer qualify for gaining residency. Essentially, they decided they didn't want to keep awarding bachelor's degrees for less than 2k
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,636 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,449 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,194 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,986 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,347 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,765 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,743 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,267 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,875 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,978 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77