Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Officer program
Thank you everyone for the support and feedback, what a great resource this site is!

I will be calling excelsior tonight when they open up and Im going to follow up on dropping some classes from my transcript.

I will also be taking the advice and contacting TESC about getting an evaluation done! AT2NFO, I PM'd you with my info, thanks again!

Thanks again so much everyone for the help and support!
I'm an IT2 in Hawaii, about 93 credits into my BA; I screwed up and waited too long though (wasted 4 years as an undesignated Airman on the Stennis), and it's probably too late for me at this point (from what I've heard it usually takes several package-submissions to get accepted, and you have to be an officer for a minimum of 10 years in order to retire as one instead of retiring under your highest enlisted rank). I've heard it's tough to become an officer from an enlisted position, and I also think there's only about a 15-25% pass rate in OCS right now because of the war winding down and all the PTS-type stuff; a lot of senior officers are actually even getting forced into early retirement right now.

OCS is longer and more intense now, and they also have Marine drill instructors instead of Navy personnel. It'll be super tough, but if you're hell-bent on getting there, I've heard that (if you can actually get in), you probably have a better chance of surviving the cut than most of the squishy, out-of-shape, idealistic, mentally soft civilian kids fresh out of pampered college dorm rooms who can't part with their iPhones for 10 minutes; they get eaten alive at OCS, whereas a seasoned post-boot-camp Fleet veteran is much more prepared for the onslaught, more focused, and ready for the whole extreme "attention to detail" thing.

Good luck man.

P.S. - Google and watch the video "Faces of OCS" for a good look if you haven't already seen it. Or here it is on YouTube: FACES OF OCS update - YouTube
BA - Organizational Management
Ashford University Online
120 Credits - Graduated!
3.98 GPA

CLEP
02-28-2012 [64] College Composition Modular
04-05-2012 [74] Analyzing/Interpreting Literature
05-02-2012 [59] Principles of Marketing
05-02-2012 [54] College Mathematics (Studied with ALEKS)
05-08-2012 [57] Natural Sciences
05-10-2012 [55] Principles of Management
06-12-2012 [66] Info Systems and Computer Apps
06-19-2012 [53] Introductory Sociology
07-11-2012 [51] Humanities
07-11-2012 [57] Human Growth and Development
08-02-2012 [57] Social Sciences and History
09-06-2012 [60] Introductory Psychology

DSST
08-29-2012 [458] Business Ethics and Society
08-29-2012 [440] Principles of Supervision
09-13-2012 [_68] General Anthropology
10-16-2012 [_56] Human Resource Management
10-16-2012 [424] Management Information Systems
11-06-2012 [463] Ethics in America
12-04-2012 [429] Introduction to Business
12-05-2012 [450] Introduction to Computing
jbierkortte -

What do you mean you waited too long? Once commissioned, you're not bound by the same retirement standards as enlisted... Once commissioned, I plan on staying in until they tell me to pack sand. Now if you're dead set on retiring at 20 years, and you've spent more than 10 years enlisted, that's a different story.
*DSST*
Substance Abuse 428
Principles of Statistics 441
Introduction to Computing 432
Technical Writing 62

*CLEP*
A & I Literature 67
Intro to Sociology 58
College Composition 55

*US Army/DAC*
AMMO-18/43/49/66

*FEMA*
9 courses + PDS

AA in Electronics Technology (Coastline Community College)
Working on BSAST Technical Studies (TESC)
Have you been accepted to a program yet? If so which one? Can you provide any insight?
Alright everyone, I'm going to set the record strait for everyone who has questions. I'm not normally on here that often but I will check it more frequently since there seems to be a lot of question into how to get into OCS or what to expect.

First I'll start with a little background on myself. I'm 26 years old, and I've been in the Navy now for seven years. I was recently commissioned on September the 28th to become a Naval Flight Officer. My journey began in 2005 when I enlisted at the age of 19 years old. I began my career as an Airman Recruit with a contract to become an Aviation Electronics Technician. The first four years of my career where average I'd say, I was an MP sailor, did a little volunteer work here and there and always did the job to the best of my ability. Just shy of four years I re-enlisted as an AT2 and transferred to FRC Oceana in Virginia Beach. I made a name for myself by taking the undesirable duties i.e the mid check shift which at that time was 2200-0600, I was the production supervisor at that point, so that definitely helped me earn some points. I was part of a sea operational detachment, and I left for the Truman deployment in 2010, upon returning I came back with a Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal. With that and a ton of work credit and quals earned on the ship, I had enough going for me that I earned an EP eval that year. After returning from this deployment I hit the ground running with education and completed my Bachelors in 12 months. This included courses with TESC, FEMA, ALEKS, CLEPS, and DSST. When I began this journey all I had was about 40 transferable credits from Navy training, and one course I took with NCPACE. During this time, my work ethic never let up, I eventually worked my way up to the Assistant Leading Petty Officer of my shop consisting of 66 personnel, I competed for and won Sailor of the Quarter for fourth quarter that year (2011). Now I mention my bio so some of you can gauge where I'm coming from and what it took for me to get in. I applied only once with very mediocre ASTB scores(48 OAR, 5 AQR, 6 PFAR, 5 FOFAR), but my evals towards the end, letters of recommendation, and interviews where what helped seal it for me I think. It takes a lot of work and at times you'll think it's going to take forever to get where you want to be, but let me tell you that it happens sooner than you think it will.

Now onto OCS. If given the opportunity to get into this prestigious commissioning program don't think it's cake just because you had navy boot camp. This is way different than navy boot camp, or at least the boot camp I had in 2005. It's extremely demanding both physically and mentally. There are marine core drill instructors and they are there to discipline you, even if you think you have it, they will assure you that you don't. They come after priors hard because they believe priors have bad habits and will negatively influence their company. It will be mind games non stop, and if you call attention to yourself they will push you until you quit willingly or damn near collapse through their process of instilling discipline through pain. The faces of OCS video gives you a very small glimpse of what to expect, the info given out is not supposed to be all inclusive. The presumption that kids strait out of college with no military experience will get slaughtered more so than prior enlisted guys is wrong. Honestly while I was there, the holding company had a 50/50 split between college kids, and prior enlisted for physical reasons or med reasons.

Now I honestly don't believe I was a superstar by any means when I had applied, I just did my job and I jumped at opportunities. Which, if you want to be a naval officer you better get used to that mentality. If you don't have that mentality already, find it, or don't bother applying, because that's what is required in the officer ranks. You won't get far as an officer if your mentality is to just slime by and do the bare minimum to reach the next promotion board. That is exactly the reason why most senior officers are being sent home now, aside from their own unwise career decisions and misconduct. It may be a little shocking to see senior officers sent home, but most of these guys more than likely have done over 20, and are just collecting the pay by this point waiting for a shot at earning a star.

My words of advice with all this being said. Keep focused and don't give up! If you want this, if you want to be a Naval Officer than you must never let up. Never be afraid to ask questions and never assume anything. Especially while you are putting your package together, the worst thing you can do is assume, or wing things with your package. Don't hesitate to call the fleet support desk in Millington or ask mustang officers for help. I assure you, anyone who can help you will jump at the opportunity if you give it to them. With that being said, I will keep an eye on this post and answer any questions you all may have. Don't hesitate to shoot me a PM either if you need some one on one.
TESC: BS Technical Studies - Graduated March 2012

* I want to give this forum a big thank you, being a part of this community has helped me to achieve the completion of my Bachelors degree and has helped me in pursuing my dream of becoming a United States Naval Officer. I leave this message here in my signature for everyone to read and serve as a reminder of what this community, and the completion of a college degree can mean. I hope that the attainment of my dream through continuing education can serve as motivation for others. *
Just jumping in to add any information and support. Currently one month out from gaining my commission through USCG OCS. Around 9 years enlisted and this program is on another level. If I had to complete it again, it would be a tough decision to go back through the 17 weeks for a second time. The deprivation of what makes you human for so long is really trying. Gladly the bulk is done and we are in the final weeks and already have our orders (going afloat again, as requested). Being a commissioned officer is a special thing and not to be taken lightly, look at the relief that just happened....

Anyway, I saw some stuff about flight from there and we complete Navy flight school and had several members talk to us about going flight throughout the program. If you have a certain amount of civilian experience you skip the first part of the program (at least for USCG officers) but as was mentioned, one thing that was talked about was the differences in civilian and Navy flight but that overall his previous experience set him up for success.
LaterBloomer Wrote:Thank you for your service. If no one from the forum can help you, and they're a REALLY smart group of people (I'm the token idiot), have you thought of checking with an education or training officer? Is a GPA relevant, or is it more important just to have a degree? Good luck.

Yes your GPA is important, some jobs require certain GPA's, but don't let that stop you, I know officers that have had their GPA waivered. It just depends on the type of job you want. Rated (medical/pilot/technical0 or ono-rated (maintenance, logistics, contract, etc.) type officer. OPersonally I am chasing this as well, and I am going non-rated as there are far less restrictions, far more jobs available, and you become an officer right? Job done.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Officer Packet HonuDiver 7 1,263 08-31-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  US Navy NARC Program Alpha 1 1,253 06-18-2022, 07:53 PM
Last Post: jch
  Free Coding bootcamps for veterans: VET TEC program through the VA MNomadic 10 4,224 06-22-2019, 09:21 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  T-Mobile and Fourblock launch online mooc program for veterans MNomadic 0 1,960 04-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Texas A&M Corpus Christi Military e-Line Nursing Program sanantone 3 2,940 06-01-2017, 07:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  opinion on officer route? Zachcleigh 10 2,810 12-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  Verizon looking to train and hire field technicians (military veterans program) Prloko 0 1,244 03-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Veterans Career Transition Program - Free Certs for Veterans and Spouses jmeitrem 2 1,779 02-24-2015, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  I have my BA however I'm still trying to get my CCAF for my officer packet 05478391 3 1,628 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
  TESC Military Degree Completion Program Change Prloko 2 1,045 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM