Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Officially a Grad Student
The day has come! Something I never thought I'd be able to say.....I'm officially a grad student. I started my master's degree in project management on Monday. I had a post last week or so asking about religious colleges. I had already made my decision to apply when I posted wondering what other's experiences were like. As an online grad student I don't have any of the religion courses or chapel requirements. Those are for on campus students. People are free to speak about their faith which if that is a big part of your life then that's probably very important to you. There is one book of Proverbs that will be used in a few classes. I have it this term and it's a few readings over 3 weeks. So nothing horrible. Not sure how it will tie into project management but I will find out. 

The school is Charleston Southern University. I had never heard of them despite driving by their exit off of I26 on my way to Charleston numerous times when I lived in SC. I find them from an article posted on here about the top 25 online grad programs in project management. There are several online master's degrees and bachelor's degrees. They operate on a term/semester schedule that follows the on campus school year like UMPI. It is NOT self paced. You have deadlines every Thursday and Sunday. The terms are 7 weeks long - beginning on Monday and ending on Sunday. Then you have a full week off between terms. There are 6 terms per year. Two terms in each semester. The grad degrees are 30 credits so 10 classes. I'm full time and have 2 grad classes this term. My plan is to complete 2 courses each term and graduate with my MS in Project Management in May. Tuition is $650 per credit. Not the cheapest but far from the most expensive for grad school. There are no additional fees. The tuition includes your textbook rentals which the school store ships to you. You return them at the end of the term. They use Blackboard for the classes. 

I started on Monday and have already submitted some assignments. This first week isn't too crazy with reading and assignments. It doesn't look like there are many quizzes or exams. Lots of papers. In my first 2 courses they are under 10 pages which is surprising since it's grad school. We do have other written assignments such as a short answer essay weekly, discussions and responses, a journal entry, case studies, chapters in the various textbooks to read, videos to watch. So far it's very reasonable especially for grad school. I'll update as the term progresses. 

https://www.charlestonsouthern.edu/onlin...neprograms
[-] The following 4 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • hsfamfun, openair, P226mem, SteveFoerster
Congratulations!!! Wish u patience and luck. I m sure u will succeed. Plz keep us posted on ur journey
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • ss20ts
The best luck. You can do it!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanielDaCosta87's post:
  • ss20ts
Congrats for the achievement!

Sent from my NX591J using DegreeForum.net mobile app
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kab's post:
  • ss20ts
Congrats on your new path to a master! I'm looking forward to doing the same thing as well. Go Owls!
Sophia.org: 74 LL credits
TEEX: 13 credits (3 UL + 10LL) 
ACTFL: 24 credits (12 LL + 12 UL) 
Community College: 81 LL credits (2 AAs)
WGU: 9 UL credits
UMPI: 42 credits (30 UL + 12 LL)
Study.com 12 credits (6 UL + 6LL)
UMPI BLS, minor in Management. Magna Cum Claude. (May '22)
[-] The following 1 user Likes park0902's post:
  • ss20ts
Congratulations, it sounds like you're about to get a lot busier.  I'm sure you'll do well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • ss20ts
Woo! That's great! Good job, I love reading your posts and seeing you accomplish your educational goals.
Good luck on your current educational journey, hope it is smooth sailing all the way... Congrats again!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ss20ts
Well, it's been an interesting term! Not quite what I expected. I'm about half way through the term now and I'll be happy when it's over. My first 2 courses are MSOM600 Graduate Writing and Research and MSOM640 Project Management as a Business Function.

When I was at CSU Global last year I absolutely hated the weekly discussions. X number of words in a post with citations and 2 responses. That was one of the reasons I transferred to UMPI. Charleston has the same discussions except now they're longer responses and you have to answer number questions that are broken down into 3 sections each week. You also have to respond to 2 classmates with citations and x number of words. I spend more time researching for peer reviewed journal articles than I do writing. Oh and you can ONLY use peer reviewed articles from the last 3 years. That makes it even more difficult! I haven't seen many articles from 2020 or 2021.....wonder why.....

Grading is weird. You get a rubric which is fine. You earn points. Say an assignment is worth 50 points and there's 2 sections to the rubric. You can earn a 26.064 in one section and a 23.5 in the other. .064???? WHAT? It's really weird.

This is also a VERY Christian school. I knew it was a Christian school when I applied and decided I would give it a chance. I've had to read 4 chapters in a book about management using Proverbs and other lines from the bible. The author bounces around to which bible translation suits what he wants to get across. If you're religious or interested in religion this may not be an issue for you. I do know some religious people who would take issue with not using their specific bible and the way the author manipulates the text to use it in a way he sees fit. The Proverbs chapters are part of the discussions and I have spent 3 days trying to answer 4 questions! I'm not religious and have no interest in religion. I try to avoid it.

I really miss the competency based program UMPI has. I will be transferring at the end of this term. I don't want to waste too much time and complete a bunch of grad credits that I can't transfer. Grad transfer is not like undergrad at all. So I am now searching for a MS in Management or possibly an MBA which is competency based. I'm shocked at where I'm leaning towards applying....nothing will transfer and I know this. I know I'll have to deal with Examity a few times but I may just suck it up. I'm seriously considering WGU's MSML and then maybe the MBA in IT Tech Management. I've looked at PUG and Capella's competency programs but they have far more credits and cost much more. Most of the WGU MSML courses will be a review from my undergrad so I believe I'll be able to complete the MSML in 6 months. I have also spent more time reviewing the MAOL at UMPI but after talking to ashkir it's VERY heavy in writing and no way could I complete it in 6 months. Walden isn't available in my state which totally stinks because they have a Tempo MBA w/ project management and I would love that but they're not licensed here. I really hope competency based programs continue to grow. I know they're not for everyone but as we've seen on here there are a lot of people who have successfully completed their degrees from WGU and UMPI.

ETA: They use Blackboard which is fine. Compared to other online learning platforms Blackboard feels very old outdated and bare bones. It may just be the way the school has it configured. I haven't used Blackboard in ages. You don't get an email alerting you to responses in the discussions which is annoying. You don't get an email when your assignments are graded either.
(07-14-2021, 11:48 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Well, it's been an interesting term! Not quite what I expected. I'm about half way through the term now and I'll be happy when it's over. My first 2 courses are MSOM600 Graduate Writing and Research and MSOM640 Project Management as a Business Function.

When I was at CSU Global last year I absolutely hated the weekly discussions. X number of words in a post with citations and 2 responses. That was one of the reasons I transferred to UMPI. Charleston has the same discussions except now they're longer responses and you have to answer number questions that are broken down into 3 sections each week. You also have to respond to 2 classmates with citations and x number of words. I spend more time researching for peer reviewed journal articles than I do writing. Oh and you can ONLY use peer reviewed articles from the last 3 years. That makes it even more difficult! I haven't seen many articles from 2020 or 2021.....wonder why.....

Grading is weird. You get a rubric which is fine. You earn points. Say an assignment is worth 50 points and there's 2 sections to the rubric. You can earn a 26.064 in one section and a 23.5 in the other. .064???? WHAT? It's really weird.

This is also a VERY Christian school. I knew it was a Christian school when I applied and decided I would give it a chance. I've had to read 4 chapters in a book about management using Proverbs and other lines from the bible. The author bounces around to which bible translation suits what he wants to get across. If you're religious or interested in religion this may not be an issue for you. I do know some religious people who would take issue with not using their specific bible and the way the author manipulates the text to use it in a way he sees fit. The Proverbs chapters are part of the discussions and I have spent 3 days trying to answer 4 questions! I'm not religious and have no interest in religion. I try to avoid it.  

I really miss the competency based program UMPI has. I will be transferring at the end of this term. I don't want to waste too much time and complete a bunch of grad credits that I can't transfer. Grad transfer is not like undergrad at all. So I am now searching for a MS in Management or possibly an MBA which is competency based. I'm shocked at where I'm leaning towards applying....nothing will transfer and I know this. I know I'll have to deal with Examity a few times but I may just suck it up. I'm seriously considering WGU's MSML and then maybe the MBA in IT Tech Management. I've looked at PUG and Capella's competency programs but they have far more credits and cost much more. Most of the WGU MSML courses will be a review from my undergrad so I believe I'll be able to complete the MSML in 6 months. I have also spent more time reviewing the MAOL at UMPI but after talking to ashkir it's VERY heavy in writing and no way could I complete it in 6 months. Walden isn't available in my state which totally stinks because they have a Tempo MBA w/ project management and I would love that but they're not licensed here. I really hope competency based programs continue to grow. I know they're not for everyone but as we've seen on here there are a lot of people who have successfully completed their degrees from WGU and UMPI.

ETA: They use Blackboard which is fine. Compared to other online learning platforms Blackboard feels very old outdated and bare bones. It may just be the way the school has it configured. I haven't used Blackboard in ages. You don't get an email alerting you to responses in the discussions which is annoying. You don't get an email when your assignments are graded either.

The MBA at HAU you can get a project management certificate with the MBA. May be worth a look. Not exactly a PM masters, but close
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(07-14-2021, 12:26 PM)cerich67 Wrote: The MBA at HAU you can get a project management certificate with the MBA. May be worth a look. Not exactly a PM masters, but close

Really?? Oh I will definitely have a look. Thank you!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,792 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 180 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  My Duke Student Blog Post ThatBankDude 1 262 03-04-2024, 06:25 PM
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,480 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,427 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Most affordable online Master in Finance for international student David1477 23 2,335 12-12-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,094 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Online MBA- potential student Love2LearnAlways 29 2,866 09-19-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 967 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,122 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone