Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Oh, heck no! No PLAs for me.
I read through the open versions of TESC's PLA courses. In module 6, it says there are no length requirements for the narrative; but, as a general rule, one should write an average of 5 pages per credit. I was planning on earning about 18 credits in biology through portfolio assessment. There is no way in hell I'm writing 90 pages. I'll take Straighterline courses and/or Uexcels instead. As far as meeting residency requirements for the BSBA, I will be using TECEPs only.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Interesting, I actually like to write and 5 pages per credit seems doable.

In the past, I had courses where I produced at least 400 pages without receiving any credit.

I guess that this depends on each individual person.
how are you going to earn 18 biology credits through UExcel and Straighterline

A & P 1 and 2 will be 6 or 8 credits
Microbiology will be 3 or 4

I guess if you throw in General Biology for 6 or 8 that would do it
UExcel also has Pathophysiology and Basic Genetics (3 sh each). UExcel and TECEP both have Science of Nutrition (3 sh, coded as BIO). UExcel Bioethics and TECEP Environmental Ethics may count as biology credit in some contexts.
ronaldemail1 Wrote:In the past, I had courses where I produced at least 400 pages without receiving any credit.

Lol! Definitely depends on each person. 5 pages a credit doesn't sound too bad, but 90 does! Especially when you are just talking about your experiences and personal knowledge on things. 400 pages is quite impressive to someone like me :p
BA in Music at TESC in Sep 2014 (122.35/120)

Completed
8 Berklee College - Desktop Production / Harmony I / Harmony II / Music Analysis / HipHop Writing & Production / Project Management for Musicians / Songwriting / Pop & Rock Keyboard
4 Libery U - English 101 / Communications 101 / Global Studies / Worship
9 Foothills College - Digital Photography I / Advanced Songwriting / Video Editing I / Graphic Design I / Graphic Design II / Typography / Music History A / Funk, Fusion, HipHop History / Java
7 NCCU - Conducting / Music History I / Commercial Music / Seminar in Music Industry / Seminar in Contemporary Music / Applied Piano / Production II / Piano Workshop

1 AP - Chinese Language and Culture (5/5)
7 CLEP - College Composition / Humanities / Human Growth and Development / Intro to Sociology / Algebra / College Mathematics / Social Science and History (62)
2 DSST - Intro to World Religions (460) / Business Ethics (433)
TESC Capstone banghead
ronaldemail1 Wrote:Interesting, I actually like to write and 5 pages per credit seems doable.

In the past, I had courses where I produced at least 400 pages without receiving any credit.

In what situation would you write 400 pages without earning credit? The most I will write will be for my dissertation. I'm hoping to keep that around 100 pages. The most I wrote for my masters program was about 30 pages not including discussion posts. I wouldn't mind writing 15 pages if I really needed credit for one course, but I am not writing 90. I'm also in a PhD program and probably will be writing as a research assistant, so I just don't have time for that.

Jonathan Whatley Wrote:UExcel also has Pathophysiology and Basic Genetics (3 sh each). UExcel and TECEP both have Science of Nutrition (3 sh, coded as BIO). UExcel Bioethics and TECEP Environmental Ethics may count as biology credit in some contexts.

Yes, I was looking at genetics, pathophysiology, anatomy and physiology (6-8 credits), microbiology (3-4 credits), bioethics, and science of nutrition. I already have 6 credits from CLEP Biology. The environmental science course I took counts as environmental biology at the Alamo Colleges, but it has the environmental science prefix at TESC. I need the BIO prefix for something I might do in the future, but I'm also working toward the ASNSM in Biology.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:In what situation would you write 400 pages without earning credit? The most I will write will be for my dissertation. I'm hoping to keep that around 100 pages. The most I wrote for my masters program was about 30 pages not including discussion posts. I wouldn't mind writing 15 pages if I really needed credit for one course, but I am not writing 90. I'm also in a PhD program and probably will be writing as a research assistant, so I just don't have time for that.

Yes, I was looking at genetics, pathophysiology, anatomy and physiology (6-8 credits), microbiology (3-4 credits), bioethics, and science of nutrition. I already have 6 credits from CLEP Biology. The environmental science course I took counts as environmental biology at the Alamo Colleges, but it has the environmental science prefix at TESC. I need the BIO prefix for something I might do in the future, but I'm also working toward the ASNSM in Biology.

Does TESC accept GRE exams for 24 credits like cosc?
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
soliloquy Wrote:Does TESC accept GRE exams for 24 credits like cosc?

COSC and Empire State College are the only schools that give credit for the GRE subject tests. Even though it wouldn't get me closer to an associates in biology, that almost gave me an idea. I briefly thought about using COSC's credit registry service, but I'm not sure if that will be acceptable for what I'm trying to do.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Wow, 90 pages for 18 credits. That's pretty ridiculous. I would definitely think UExcels and TECEPs are the faster route, especially for someone as busy as you are at the moment.

How much does the PLA route cost? I would think it has testing beat when it comes to cost at least.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
For the first 12 credits, the PLA route will cost $30.25 per credit hour. For every 6 credits thereafter, the cost will be $34.33 per credit hour. TECEPs are $37 per credit hour. Pearson is now charging a $50-60 testing fee for Uexcels. The microbiology and anatomy and physiology Uexcels are a few hundred dollars. I'm debating whether or not I should suffer through the Straighterline courses. The pathophysiology and basic genetics exams are only $95, but I would still have to pay that ridiculous testing fee.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P