Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One for two
Took English Comp. w/o essay and College Math back to back yesterday. I should have read a little further on the IC page about English Comp. and did a search in this forum on it because I got blown out of the water - got a 36 on it. The IC cards were real easy and after going through about 100 of the flashcards, I wrote off studying for the test and focused on Math.

Some of the 88 question test were structured like the FC's, but the correct answers weren't as obvious and time gets eaten up quick when you have to do a lot of reading and only have about a minute per question.

Well at least I passed the Math with a 60 - which made for a bitter sweet day. Rolleyes
Sorry for the problems but 1 pass out of 2 and learning a valuable lesson is not a bad thing. Remember to keep on studying, because the next set of cards may be the kicker. Personally, I have found the forum notes and suggestions to be just as helpful and the additional research suggested can make a big difference.

By the way, check with your local library and see if they have the REA for Eng Comp.

Suggest in the meantime, you go ahead and test on other stuff, as you can take this again in 6 months, and get the REA book and study that AND the IC cards.

If you are in a hurry, StraighterLine is the way to go for $99 for the Eng Comp.
[SIZE="4"]Keep your chin up![/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"]Terry[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][B][SIZE="2"]How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time![/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"]
AS and BS completed
MBA - In Progress[/SIZE]
Another option, if your school will take it, is the Uexcel College Writing test. It consists of two essays, with 1 hour allotted per essay. According to the brochure for it, the essays are:

A persuasive essay - You're to write an essay to someone explaining how the item or idea you're given as a topic would be benificial.

An Analysis/Response essay - You're given two excerpts or editorials, the second is a rebuttal to the first, or something along that line, and you need to summarize the ideas, and develop an essay on them, showing which side you argree with and why, or if you don't agree with either, propose another solution, or explain why neither article is correct and that the situation can't be resolved.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
Thanks for all the encouraging words and suggestions.

IC proved very helpful on the math and in combination with getting the REA study guide was all that I needed. Bottom line - I Should have spent equal time on prep for English.
3ndone Wrote:Took English Comp. w/o essay and College Math back to back yesterday. I should have read a little further on the IC page about English Comp. and did a search in this forum on it because I got blown out of the water - got a 36 on it. The IC cards were real easy and after going through about 100 of the flashcards, I wrote off studying for the test and focused on Math.

Some of the 88 question test were structured like the FC's, but the correct answers weren't as obvious and time gets eaten up quick when you have to do a lot of reading and only have about a minute per question.

Well at least I passed the Math with a 60 - which made for a bitter sweet day. Rolleyes

Since you did English Comp w/o essay - you could do English Comp w/ Essay. Work on writing 5 paragraph essays :-)