Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of the Worst Education Articles I've Read
This is one of the worst education articles/rankings I have ever seen. There's no methodology mentioned, and there are few stats. The ranking seems random and based on one person's uninformed opinion. This person goes on and on about how awful he or she thinks some careers are and thinks that justifies the rankings. If you get a job that pays more than $50k per year, how is that a terrible ROI? He may think those jobs are too stressful, but some people want those careers. 

According to this person, a general social science degree has a better ROI than mathematics. I doubt that's true. But, it's easy to point out how illogical it is to think that psychology, human services and sociology have much worse ROIs than a general social science degree when they're similar subjects that lead to similar jobs. If that weren't enough to ruin the author's credibility, he thinks that philosophy is a social science. 

The dumbest part of this article is that the author thinks that earth science has a poor ROI because you have to read a lot and put in serious time in a lab.

https://self-made.io/degrees-worst-return-investment/
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Let's not ignore the terrible grammar as well. Do people not proofread before they post things, or is written English a forgotten skill?

"...find difficult to work in their perspective branch..."
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Dumbest article ever.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
‘A liberal-Arts degree is useless!’ (period) Going by this article, many of us in this forum are just wasting our time and energy. This article has probably been penned by a very depressed person, who has hasn’t found a job yet!
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(04-06-2019, 04:27 AM)Supermind Wrote: ‘A liberal-Arts degree is useless!’ (period) Going by this article, many of us in this forum are just wasting our time and energy. This article has probably been penned by a very depressed person, who has hasn’t found a job yet!

It is just a terrible article in general. It is full of disinformation, biased statements, and hyperbole. It just goes to show how you don't need any kind of credentials to post your ideas to a blog or website for the world to read.

That said, that article isn't written for us or the kind of students who frequent this forum. In fact, this article is probably offensive to anyone in academia or who has earned more than one degree.

On this forum, a lot of people end up with liberal studies degrees because they just need to a checkbox degree and the BALS is one of the fastest and cheapest ways to attain that degree. We have a few young folks, but the majority are working adults who are coming back for degrees because they want to make a career change or want to check off a life goal checkbox.

That article is intended to address high school kids and young adults who are preparing for college and looking for a degree to help them build a career. It is giving them a bad impression and terrible advice, but I suspect that is the target audience.

I assume the author is a 20-something who just graduated with a ton of college debt and now has a degree that they feel was a waste of time and money because it doesn't automatically get them into a high-paying job.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ronaldemail1
Most of these majors do have higher underemployment rates and lower wages, but the justifications the author gives for avoiding these majors don't make any sense. The rank order also appears to be based on nothing.

I saw this article advertised on Facebook. While young people aren't using Facebook heavily these days, their parents are going to see this junk. It also came up at the top of a Google search yesterday for college degrees with worst ROI.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
OK, I'm going to say one nice thing about this article: it is a good idea to realistically consider what future employment you will have when you complete you degree, since you will have to pay off those student loans.  And, everyone should have a realistic point of view that they will be starting out on the low end of the pay scale until they've built up experience within their career field.

Now on to the negatives: although the author criticizes the ROI of these degrees, most of them still end up with a positive ROI, so the student loans would be paid off eventually while earning a decent wage.  I question where she gets all of her financial figures from, and she makes a false assumption that people have to stay in the career field they studied for in college.  One of the interesting things I've found in business and information technology is the large number of people that have other degrees outside of these fields.  A lot of people end up in the current careers not because of their majors, but because of some elective or some other factor.

The only thing I really took from this article is that private colleges are way over-priced compared to public ones, but all of us in this forum are already aware of that fact.

By the way, she has written 69 articles on that site, and all of them are biased and lack real facts and information to back up what she is saying.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamshid666's post:
  • ronaldemail1
(04-06-2019, 11:54 PM)jamshid666 Wrote: OK, I'm going to say one nice thing about this article: it is a good idea to realistically consider what future employment you will have when you complete you degree, since you will have to pay off those student loans.  And, everyone should have a realistic point of view that they will be starting out on the low end of the pay scale until they've built up experience within their career field.

The only thing I really took from this article is that private colleges are way over-priced compared to public ones, but all of us in this forum are already aware of that fact.

By the way, she has written 69 articles on that site, and all of them are biased and lack real facts and information to back up what she is saying.

Yes, it's definitely smart to think through your options when you get a degree, and to be realistic about the pay.

As for private schools, yes, they're overpriced, IF you pay full price.  The only reasons to consider them; 1) with discounts and other things, they may end up being the same price as a public university, but you may actually graduate on time; 2) you get tons of scholarships and it's free; 3) you're going into a field where who you know matters as much or more than what you know, or 4) you can afford to pay with no student loans.

For many schools, middle-to-upper-middle-class kids who don't qualify for any needs-based scholarships or grants, #2 is a huge factor.  Want to go to Harvard and your family makes $65k?  It's free (tuition, fees, room and board).  How about if they make up to $150k?  Then it's somewhere between 1%-10% of your family's income.  So a family earning $100k at a 2% rate could send their kid to Harvard for $2k a year.  Total.  Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Berkeley - all have programs that are similar.  If that's not a good ROI, then I don't know what is.

So to generalize about all private schools is just silly.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It's hard to compare public and private schools because public schools are subsidized. Out-of-state tuition rates are a better representation of the true cost. I like to compare for-profit schools and private, nonprofit schools. For-profit schools are cheaper, but nonprofit students graduate with less debt. Private school students tend to be less impoverished, so they depend less on student loans, but nonprofit schools are also much more generous with institutional grants and scholarships.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(04-07-2019, 01:40 AM)dfrecore Wrote: So to generalize about all private schools is just silly.

In other words, we should ignore articles like this and do proper research.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK vs US, Education Compared bjcheung77 1 151 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Country Preview: Poland - Inexpensive European Education bjcheung77 11 1,910 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 826 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  US Education Department unveils stricter college oversight rules bjcheung77 0 340 11-01-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Education Is Now America’s Great Divide LevelUP 2 343 10-06-2023, 02:50 PM
  Continuing Education stipend ideas impasta 5 463 09-21-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: impasta
  Perlego: Startup for "all you can read" textbooks bjcheung77 7 1,033 09-08-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Business Insider/MSN - College, Grad, Money Articles bjcheung77 4 439 08-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Panorama Education Acquires Mesa Cloud... bjcheung77 0 410 07-01-2023, 01:45 AM
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 811 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83