Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online MBA- potential student
At that company contribution you can pick between quite a few public AACSB institutions, which if the frequently mentioned online schools are starting to be “noticeable” internally might be worth considering. To pick a 12k$ program, “University of Louisiana at Lafayette” just sort of doesn’t attract that notice.

I’ll note I did Emporia State’s M.Acc without a lick of group work. (Noting because it shares some courses/electives with the MBA).
(09-17-2023, 04:15 PM)Love2LearnAlways Wrote:
(09-17-2023, 01:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Welcome to the board, that's a concise, short/sweet introduction post.  You may want to fill us in with extra details if possible... Your best bet is to review this thread and also check/search the grad sub forum for anything that interests you, I would look up the AACSB first and ACSBP options afterwards...  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...der-1-Year

This is helpful.  I never heard of ACSBP so I didn't know there was anything other than AACSB.  I worry that being on the older spectrum, having a full time job and not being in school for a very long time is something I want to address up front.  No need for a top-tier school, don't need to network, and not looking for a ton of interaction with others.  I was considering a certificate course but it seems like online MBA would fit better.  Since my employer is willing to pay since I brought it up, I don't want to dive in and get overwhelmed.

I wouldn't worry about being older, when it comes to MBAs traditionally older (adult) people do better. Why? Because you have the work/life experience that is needed for the large majority of the subject matter. I can only imagine how some younger direct from bachelor MBA students struggle without real life experiences to draw upon. I agree an MBA would be better than (any) certificate. Now if you were looking for a specific field certification that is a different subject. Find a program that has courses that appeal to you, and that you have the prerequisites for. Some MBA programs prefer those with a business bachelor, or at least certain existing business courses, others a solid work history and any (accredited) bachelor is all you need. I don't recall you stating what your existing bachelor is in.

It should also be known that none of the programs/schools we recommend here are 'degree mills' (the moderators would be all over that). Also, a legitimate and valuable education doesn't have to cost a great deal.  I understand that you said your employer might question the low cost of the HAU MBA (for example), but not all quality MBAs need to cost six figures (as shown in the list linked by Jonathan Whatley).  If you're truly concerned about perception, I would suggest you look at the state school options first over just AACSB vs. ACBSP.  I'm not saying limit it to your state, just that state schools are generally perceived as 'legitmate' by inherent right.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(09-17-2023, 04:54 PM)Courcelles Wrote: At that company contribution you can pick between quite a few public AACSB institutions, which if the frequently mentioned online schools are starting to be “noticeable” internally might be worth considering. To pick a 12k$ program, “University of Louisiana at Lafayette” just sort of doesn’t attract that notice.

I’ll note I did Emporia State’s M.Acc without a lick of group work.  (Noting because it shares some courses/electives with the MBA).

Based on your note, I started to look at the public state schools with AACSBs, and I wasn't aware of the sheer number of them (Pick Your State, then add North, South, East, West, Northwest, etc.) I guess the harder part is finding which ones can fit my needs (lighter lift, no thesis, low group work, etc.)

(09-17-2023, 05:13 PM)allvia Wrote:
(09-17-2023, 04:15 PM)Love2LearnAlways Wrote:
(09-17-2023, 01:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Welcome to the board, that's a concise, short/sweet introduction post.  You may want to fill us in with extra details if possible... Your best bet is to review this thread and also check/search the grad sub forum for anything that interests you, I would look up the AACSB first and ACSBP options afterwards...  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...der-1-Year

This is helpful.  I never heard of ACSBP so I didn't know there was anything other than AACSB.  I worry that being on the older spectrum, having a full time job and not being in school for a very long time is something I want to address up front.  No need for a top-tier school, don't need to network, and not looking for a ton of interaction with others.  I was considering a certificate course but it seems like online MBA would fit better.  Since my employer is willing to pay since I brought it up, I don't want to dive in and get overwhelmed.

I wouldn't worry about being older, when it comes to MBAs traditionally older (adult) people do better. Why? Because you have the work/life experience that is needed for the large majority of the subject matter. I can only imagine how some younger direct from bachelor MBA students struggle without real life experiences to draw upon. I agree an MBA would be better than (any) certificate. Now if you were looking for a specific field certification that is a different subject. Find a program that has courses that appeal to you, and that you have the prerequisites for. Some MBA programs prefer those with a business bachelor, or at least certain existing business courses, others a solid work history and any (accredited) bachelor is all you need. I don't recall you stating what your existing bachelor is in.

It should also be known that none of the programs/schools we recommend here are 'degree mills' (the moderators would be all over that). Also, a legitimate and valuable education doesn't have to cost a great deal.  I understand that you said your employer might question the low cost of the HAU MBA (for example), but not all quality MBAs need to cost six figures (as shown in the list linked by Jonathan Whatley).  If you're truly concerned about perception, I would suggest you look at the state school options first over just AACSB vs. ACBSP.  I'm not saying limit it to your state, just that state schools are generally perceived as 'legitmate' by inherent right.

These points are great- they make a lot of sense.  I did take some business courses before I switched my major many years ago.  I did not think about prereqs, so maybe it would be worth it to see how I can leverage them, if at all.  Also, they were many years ago, so I don't know if that would help or hurt if I can get exemptions.  It would be disappointing if I had to take lots of prereq courses before I get started.  I do have a solid business history, which should help.  

State schools look like a "safe" bet for an apparent legitimacy, and AACSB is a bonus.  I would welcome any feedback if you or anyone else has any idea on schools that may be an easier track for someone like me who wants the degree but is worried about school workload and graduating. Appreciate your feedback.
Welcome! There are a lot of great choices out there! I am just a year younger than you and started my MBA last year. I ended up choosing a program that is not popular here mainly because of the employer discount that I get. (Jack Welch Management Institute). It makes an otherwise expensive program affordable. I am about 40% through it but I am only taking courses every other semester so that I don’t get burnt out. So far I have finished every course with honors. The basic flow of all the courses that I have taken so far is one discussion post with two responses every week and an assignment every other week or so. At the end of the course, there’s usually a video power point presentation that is basically pulling together all of the assignments from the class. By taking one course at a time, I am not feeling too stressed out. Monday and Tuesday I read/watch materials. Wednesday I make my discussion post, I take a break on Thursday. Fri-Sun I make my responses and do the assignments when we have them. I have never had a group project. I haven’t heard of one being required in the program, but I still have a ways to go.

As you are comparing programs, some things to consider is how much time is expected for each class and how long is each term. My courses are 10 weeks long (which is a little longer than most) and I think that could be why the workload is only 10-15 hours a week. Shorter terms might require just a little more time.

There are a lot of great options out there. I considered quite a few, including the ones mentioned above. JWMI was a good fit for me because of the workload and the amazing support they offer. They have a “Learn today, apply tomorrow” approach. Since I began, I have had two promotions and two significant pay increases. I have been able to apply what I have learned so far, and it has paid off.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(09-17-2023, 07:01 PM)Vle045 Wrote: Welcome!  There are a lot of great choices out there!  I am just a year younger than you and started my MBA last year.  I ended up choosing a program that is not popular here mainly because of the employer discount that I get.  (Jack Welch Management Institute). It makes an otherwise expensive program affordable.  I am about 40% through it but I am only taking courses every other semester so that I don’t get burnt out.  So far I have finished every course with honors.  The basic flow of all the courses that I have taken so far is one discussion post with two responses every week and an assignment every other week or so.  At the end of the course, there’s usually a video power point presentation that is basically pulling together all of the assignments from the class.  By taking one course at a time, I am not feeling too stressed out.  Monday and Tuesday I read/watch materials.  Wednesday I make my discussion post, I take a break on Thursday.  Fri-Sun I make my responses and do the assignments when we have them.   I have never had a group project.  I haven’t heard of one being required in the program, but I still have a ways to go.

As you are comparing programs, some things to consider is how much time is expected for each class and how long is each term.  My courses are 10 weeks long (which is a little longer than most) and I think that could be why the workload is only 10-15 hours a week.  Shorter terms might require just a little more time.  

There are a lot of great options out there.  I considered quite a few, including the ones mentioned above.   JWMI was a good fit for me because of the workload and the amazing support they offer.  They have a “Learn today, apply tomorrow” approach.  Since I began, I have had two promotions and two significant pay increases.  I have been able to apply what I have learned so far, and it has paid off.

Thanks for your perspective.  You sound like you are doing quite well- something for me to aspire to.  I am going to try to whittle down the list to about 10 schools and then reach out, maybe have a zoom call and see what each school offers.  I need to figure out a list of questions to ask each and see what the answers are.  I hope I can find a program that checks the boxes I am looking for- maybe a needle in the haystack, hope I find the one which fits my needs.
(09-17-2023, 07:13 PM)Love2LearnAlways Wrote: ...  I am going to try to whittle down the list to about 10 schools and then reach out, maybe have a zoom call and see what each school offers.  I need to figure out a list of questions to ask each and see what the answers are.  I hope I can find a program that checks the boxes I am looking for- maybe a needle in the haystack, hope I find the one which fits my needs.

Keep in mind that the person you make initial contact with will likely be a 3rd party recruiter (aka sales) - this is likely even with the state schools. This is just the reality of current times and higher education.  Competition to get graduate level students to sign up can be fierce; especially the MBA, as it is popular - so many school/program options. Once you narrow a school / program down to less than a handful then you should do some more independent research by searching online for feedback from other students in the program (for example). I'm not trying to deter you but prepare you for so many calls from school 'enrollment advisors' (which many are titled). You're looking for a MBA program, there are so very many available, I'm certain you can find one that suits you. Just don't research so much that you end up with decision paralysis and never get started. The best degree is the one you finish.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, ss20ts
Of those X institutions, you want to review their info and requirements online and contact them to verify a few things...
Maybe sort them in order, such as the X with AACSB, then X with ACBSP, and by cost, time, so on...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-17-2023, 01:52 PM)allvia Wrote: I'm aware that they do have a required course to complete 'Strategic Management' (with prerequisites that would leave it near/at the end), and as you stated they don't call it a capstone (excluding the Entrepreneurship AOS, which is clearly labeled Capstone); I believe that is because some of the term syllabi offer options that would not be a capstone by definition. Alas, you and I both know firsthand that one of the best things about Amberton is that they offer a few different options for most (not all) subjects, one term could offer the writing intensive version and the next term same course is exam heavy (for example).

Dr. Tidwell has been the only teaching Strategic Management for a few years. It's offered every term. I took it. It's not paper heavy. There's a huge variety of assignments in this course. 

Entrepreneurship Implementation is the capstone for the MBA in Entrepreneurship. It's not a capstone like WGU though. Same with Strategic Management which is the capstone course for all of the other MBA's and it was labeled that it was the capstone on the old website. When I did my MBA, it was very clear that it was the capstone and it's your last class. It's definitely nothing like a capstone elsewhere though. It's really just another course with prereqs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • allvia
(09-17-2023, 12:55 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I don't remember anyone reporting the HAU MBA to have any group work. I could certainly be mistaken about that, though, so you'd want to double check the HAU threads.

Of the 6 courses I've started/taken, 3 had group projects.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 2 users Like Flelm's post:
  • allvia, rachel83az
You are not going to find a T50 school (that meets your criteria but there are innumerable MBA programs out there with no GMAT or group projects.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Graduate Statistics course Stonybeach 13 350 04-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 32 19,087 04-25-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there any way to enrol into the WGU MBA program as an international student? FM1 9 338 04-25-2024, 09:22 AM
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 347 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 2,062 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 376 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 663 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 570 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 750 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 416 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem