Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only 38 credits left, need some help, thanks.
Hi All,

I'm new to here, this is my first post. I'm not a native English speaker so getting a degree online is not an easy thing for me. But I still want to give it a try.
I did transfer about 86 credits from China through WES and Exelsior didn't accept all(I had my three years college finished in China). They gave me an unofficial evaluation and told me I still need 38 credits (Please see below):
Since you indicated a preference for the BS in Liberal Arts and since this is our most flexible program, here is what you would need to complete that program:

A total of going to 38.00 credits (minimally 13.00 upper level) to include:
 6.00 credits in English
3.00 credits in ethics
9.00 credits in math/sciences
1.00 credit in information literacy
3.00 credits to fulfill the capstone course

Can someone help me and suggest a plan? Should I just go to a local community college like Pasadena City College at my area to finish all the lower level credits and do the upper level ones online? Even though I had lived in California for 5 years I never really went to college here, I'm kind of slow at reading and writing in English, so taking the exams in person might be a little difficult, but I'm willing to work hard and spend lots time on it, so maybe I can take some courses  on Study.com? Please help me here, Thank you very much. Smile
Welcome to the board. Is Excelsior your first choice? Have you sent your WES transcripts to TESU or COSC? They should have sent you an evaluation with what courses are required in those 38 credits. Furthermore, you should list all the courses they have given you credit and which have not been granted. We can create a spreadsheet for you, as it maybe cheaper/easier/faster with TESU or COSC.

BTW, It's strange, from http://international.excelsior.edu/, it lists WES for Graduate program candidates and to use ECE for undergraduate programs. We had a discussion about that in a recent thread... Did you finish a 3 year degree from Asia? Which program/school? Did it list that the school was accredited or unaccredited on your evaluation? Provide us a list of courses so we can find out what is remaining.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-23-2018, 08:48 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Welcome to the board.  Is Excelsior your first choice?  Have you sent your WES transcripts to TESU or COSC?  They should have sent you an evaluation with what courses are required in those 38 credits.  Furthermore, you should list all the courses they have given you credit and which have not been granted.  We can create a spreadsheet for you, as it maybe cheaper/easier/faster with TESU or COSC.

BTW, It's strange, from http://international.excelsior.edu/, it lists WES for Graduate program candidates and to use ECE for undergraduate programs.  We had a discussion about that in a recent thread... Did you finish a 3 year degree from Asia?  Which program/school?  Did it list that the school was accredited or unaccredited on your evaluation?  Provide us a list of courses so we can find out what is remaining.

Thanks bjcheung77,  I actually applied excelsior back in 2010 and transferred all my credits through WES, I didn't get my evaluation until this year and they did tell me that if I have other credit transferred from foreign country I will have to use ECE. Should I try TESU or COSC?  I wasn't thinking about this because I had all my application and credits transfer done with Excelsior. Do TESU or COSC accept WES?
Both TESU and COSC accept WES. If you list your credits here, we can help you with plans for both schools.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You certainly could go to a local CC, and it's a good idea for courses you particularly want a grade in or that might be a prerequisite for grad school, like lab sciences. Otherwise we can probably find everything you need online which would be fast and cheap (although CA CC's are pretty cheap and most have accelerated online courses).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-23-2018, 10:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Both TESU and COSC accept WES.  If you list your credits here, we can help you with plans for both schools.

Thanks dfrecore. All the credits I got from the Chinese college is very different than the courses here. Should I just post the copy of my WES evaluation here?
Yes, You should list all your course evaluations so we can help you. So, copy/paste or send a screenshot of your evaluation from WES into the thread. Just remove "personal info" before you do that. With more information, we can help you further. WES evaluation should have all courses listed that they recommended for credit. For example, if you took mainly general arts/sciences, then the BALS would be recommended, but if you took more Business courses, then we would recommend a BSBA instead.

Here is the screenshot of my evaluation from WES, the courses I took might be confusing. I hope it will work.  Big Grin 

[Image: degree1_zpsr1iwhtmk.png]
[Image: degree2_zpstcj0u7sr.png]
[Image: degree3_zpso9cpunuw.png]

[Image: degree3_zpso9cpunuw.png]
[Image: degree4_zpsxmwdg9ak.png]
It's going to hard to find out what exactly those courses come in as for TESU. You should apply and send in your transcripts to TESU as well, in the meantime. You should finish off your requirements for English, Math, Ethics using the free resources available. While you're waiting, do the following courses...

6.00 credits in English - Take English Comp I & II at Study.com to get the Study.com partnership pricing (applies to both TESU/Excelsior)
9.00 credits in math/sciences - Take Study.com or StraighterLine for Math, Earth Science or Nutrition course (applies to both as well)
3.00 credits in ethics - Use the FREE Ethics, it's worth 2 credits, but you should have extra general education requirements or credits

As per my signature, review the Beginners Guide, create a spreadsheet of your courses completed (or use one that I have modified from dfrecore in the Guide), copy/paste your completed courses and finish off the FREE Electives below: http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Free_S..._of_Credit
Update 1: You should apply for the Study.com Guardian Scholarship for 6 free courses (18 credits), work on the FREE credits now before you start Study.com
Update 2: This should help you "finish" your UL requirements if you choose TESU: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...#pid251266

(01-25-2018, 04:35 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: It's going to hard to find out what exactly those courses come in as for TESU.  You should apply and send in your transcripts to TESU as well, in the meantime.  You should finish off your requirements for English, Math, Ethics using the free resources available.  While you're waiting, do the following courses...

6.00 credits in English  - Take English Comp I & II at Study.com to get the Study.com partnership pricing (applies to both TESU/Excelsior)
9.00 credits in math/sciences - Take Study.com or StraighterLine for Math, Earth Science or Nutrition course (applies to both as well)
3.00 credits in ethics - Use the FREE Ethics, it's worth 2 credits, but you should have extra general education requirements or credits

As per my signature, review the Beginners Guide, create a spreadsheet of your courses completed (or use one that I have modified from dfrecore in the Guide), copy/paste your completed courses and finish off the FREE Electives below:  http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Free_S..._of_Credit
Update 1:  You should apply for the Study.com Guardian Scholarship for 6 free courses (18 credits), work on the FREE credits now before you start Study.com
Update 2:  This should help you "finish" your UL requirements if you choose TESU:  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...#pid251266

Thank you bjcheung77,  I really appreciated it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,486 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,924 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 678 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,253 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 507 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 396 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,840 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,769 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,849 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 21 1,760 09-26-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77